The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Replacing Recoil Spring on Tecumseh2HP/ Mag2000  (Read 1096 times)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Replacing Recoil Spring on Tecumseh2HP/ Mag2000
« on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:50 PM »
After a few years of hard word my Mag2000 pull start recoil took a crap today. The rope would not pull back in after letting it go. I took the cover off to inspect, the plastic housing seemed ok. Unbolted the housing took a look the Spring was not broken but one end (the end that attached to the rope spool was just sitting there unattached. I moved the spring to check it, and it jumped out of the housing and unwound itself. I cannot get the spring back in. Does the replacements, come already wound and attached to the spool. Can I get the parts from Stikemaster direct? Has anyone replaced one- is there anything I need to look out for (besides a jumping recoil spring)?

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Replacing Recoil Spring on Tecumseh2HP/ Mag2000
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2005, 07:36 PM »
 I made the same mistake last year, but after twisting that spring up for a whole day Mugs and I finally wound it up and put it in. What a pain.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline GatorNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Replacing Recoil Spring on Tecumseh2HP/ Mag2000
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2005, 06:28 PM »
I just had the same thing happen to me with a MagIII. For the second time. It was about 15 dollars to have the local lawnmower/small engine repair shop replace the spring. I found that the spring itself was broken, and that rewinding it myself still didn't work...plus, what a headache!

Now I just have to deal with the thing not turning over. For ten years, it hasn't taken more than two pulls to start. In fact, the day the spring broke, I was able to wind up about 6" of cord, and that was enough to start it again. Since the spring was replaced, they've put new coils in and it still won't start; they say that the cylinder is scored and might not hold compression. Funny how it only happened after I took it in, though. Oh well, when it hits the fan...

Good luck. you should have an easy fix.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.