Author Topic: Burbot Bash 2012  (Read 1662 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Burbot Bash 2012
« on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Would like to start this post by saying what a great event this was and thank eveyone that had anything to do with putting it on. Left the house at noon and arrived at the spot we had scouted out 2 weeks ago around 4. Unhooked the trailer and went for a look at where we wanted to fish, "NO ICE!!"  :-\  So went scouting around the back up spot for a trailer place close to the ice and as luck would have it we found a spot 10 min from the ice. Got camp set up and was loosing lite quick. Headed down to set up tents for the tounrey and ended up a bit farther north than we wanted to be  :-\ after talking about it we felt we would just fish for awhile and set up tents in the morn as there was a pretty good pressure ridge that we didn't want to cross to get to our spot. Drilled some holes, dropped down my new PK red dot glow flutterfish and had some fish rising for it right away but couldn't get them to cooperate  :(  it was starting to get real cold and was ranked right with 1st for me which was in bootcamp/school at Great lake RTC/NTC where temps hit -50 windchill or more on regular occasions while i was there from october till march. CHILLY!!!!!!!! we called it after about 2 hours of freezing our buts off without tents up. Headed back down to the ice in the morn and wouldn't you know it someone is on the spot we wanted. Oh well plenty of bank here so we drove down watching the lake maps and found a gradually rounded point that worked for us. Set up tents and headed for registration at buckboard. While there we had a lenghty conversation with ashley from Addictive Fishing and let me tell ya he had no prob talkin fish with us, giving us some good advice and even sent us on our way with some of his homemade glow heads. What a great guy! I can't wait till i have the time and $ to book a trip with him. Got back down to the spot and decided to laker fish for awhile as the tourney didnt start until 5. Right away i was marking fish at 15ft dropped the PK and WHAM little laker on

SWEET!! one for the PK board. Tourney time came and we fished all thru the nite with 6 fish on the deck, too bad none of them came from my holes  :'( i did miss quite a few. Called it a nite. Day #3 started out with some comotion in my buddies tent and he claimed he had a small burbot on, then it went to i need help cause his reel was all messed up and now it was a HOG!! after about ten min, three people in his tent and hand lining it in this was what he had

HOG!!! ended up placing 3rd biggest in the tourney at 33.9in and over 7lbs. So now we are thinking this is how you start the day but as the fish gods would have it that was the only fish all nite. The rain and wind kept us confined to our tents all nite and was not able to fish the way we like. Called it a nite. Day #4 started out and finished with us all missing many and only managed to get one on the ice. SLOWWWWWWW and COLDDDDD! called it a nite. Went to the closing ceremony. Then headed back down to the ice to chip our tents out. They were froze in pretty hard, packed up and headed back to the trailer to pack up camp. Made it home by 8ish. Was a great trip and cant wait till next year to do it all over again  ;D ;D ;D ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Burbot Bash 2012
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:51 AM »
fantastic report Musky too bad you didn't get more burbot on the ice, these no limit bashes on burbot really seem to be doing the trick, last year the reports had pics of 50+ burbs per night....  now you're lucky if ya get one.

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Got back down to the spot and decided to laker fish for awhile as the tourney didnt start until 5. Right away i was marking fish at 15ft dropped the PK and WHAM little laker on

Gorgeous little laker, and congrats on the tourney finish!!  Our guy onsite said it was a great event (in spite of not having much ice).

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:21 AM »
fantastic report Musky too bad you didn't get more burbot on the ice, these no limit bashes on burbot really seem to be doing the trick, last year the reports had pics of 50+ burbs per night....  now you're lucky if ya get one.

Thanks duneman, it was low #'s for alot of people there. Hopefully next year the ice will go all the way to lucern and then the #'s will go up

Gorgeous little laker, and congrats on the tourney finish!!  Our guy onsite said it was a great event (in spite of not having much ice).

Thanks PK that flutterfish is legit, luv the motion as it drops. Power eggs didnt take away much action either
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.