Author Topic: Whats your favorite Jig/lure/ set up through the ice for each species  (Read 2743 times)

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tried a bunch of different jigs today.  (hexi fly, fat boy, gill pill, and lindy toad)  The lindy toad in the blue and white was the winning ticket today.  Just bought them and its weighted good and would get down there quick to keep hitting.

Offline applegator

• IceShanty Rookie
Glow in the dark jigs or tear drop tipped with wax worm work best for me. A small swedish pimple with half a minnow works well when jigging for anything.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish icer You  have a good selection where did you buy your first box selection.? I've been using lead heads of various colors . and want to get more vertical weighted jigs I do use some sliding sinkers in deeper water. Someone told me Calebas in Scarboro is closing also had a clerk out there tell me that. They say Bass pro is moving in . I find it hard to believe. Has any one else heard anything ? Woodchip.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Ive found out that when fish get finicky if I switch to a little jigging spoon with a chain hook I get the sniffers to bite. Just what works for me
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
the box is made by ice armor

Offline hardwater68

• Team IceShanty Regular
Since a lot off ppl are saying pimples what colors do you like to use?

I fish alot on lake Champlain and water is not always clear but can be and lake George where water is gin clear, my most consistant producers are gold and blue that has a fish scale pattern on it. I also use all white and of coarse the original silver, hope this helps some.
remember the 7 p's, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Thanks for the responses!!

Offline ICatchLilFishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • >))))> Keep your poles on the ice!!! <((((<
For panfish my new favorite is a gold  Fiska with glow bead, I also use a fire perch Hali jig. For pike I will use the lindy darter or the buck shot.
  “Bring It”

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
ICATCHLILFISHY: I use a little jig similar to the halo and love it especially when they start to just sniff others!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
gitzits!

Offline icing_perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
For perch I normally start aggressive with a 1/16 ounce buckshot and a minnow head, maggots, waxie or a one of the 2 smallest sized Hali's packed with maggots.  If the fish are hitting these then I stick to them all day and normally use eyes on the buckshot and keep maggots on the Hali.  My dad did really good with the Hali tipped with eyes last year.  If the fish are not hitting the spoons I normally down size to small horizontal jigs like a diamond jig, ratso, rat finkee or something similar in design packed with maggots or waxies.  I have caught a lot of perch on swedish pimples tipped with eyes, minnows and maggots too though before the buckshots came on the market and you could finally find Hali's outside the great lakes areas.  I always fish with a fish finder when on the ice so I know how the fish are reacting to the baits.  If they will come up and look at the bait and not bite I just keep switching out lures and bait until I find something that works.  With that said I have had days where nothing seems to work.  One lake I fish in particular is normally and aggressive fishing pattern with 50+ perch caught per person per day.  Last year I was there and my boy and I only caught about 20 in 4 hours of fishing.  The perch would come up and look at live minnows for 5-10 minutes before they would bite if they would bite.  The lure/bait combo that worked the best that day was the smallest Northland tackle forage minnow jig tipped with an eyeball and not moved at all.  If you jigged it the fish went right back to the bottom.  My top 3 perch lures would be buckshot, Hali and diamond jig.  For crappies I have done really good with 1/10 ounce swedish pimples or castmasters with the treble tipped with live minnows.  I have also done really well with ice ant jigs with meal worms.  Unfortunately here in Montana where I live there are no crappie lakes closer than about 300 miles.  I have also done good with small horizontal jigs with maggots at times for crappie.  For sunnies and gills tear drops with waxies/maggots and other horizontal jigs and same bait have produced well for me.  If the fish get super picky I have done better using 1/100 marabou jigs tipped with maggots.  If you are a fly tyer you can get the perfect jigs for these from Cabela's.  Brown with red wrapping and gold head has been the best for me but have also done good with other color materials.  For pike I have caught them using jigging raps.  In Alaska when I was there I did well using 3/8+ krockidile spoons with a smelt fillet tipping the treble hook.  I have not done to good on walleyes but I know some friends that consistently catch them with buckshot spoons and minnow heads.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.