Author Topic: trapping shiners  (Read 14409 times)

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
Re: trapping shiners
« Reply #60 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Nice haul Baline!

What are those mostly giant killifish?  They are neat and when they school they can be really fun to catch manually.   I was thinking about getting a bunch of them for jigging.  Since they are shore runners they are way lass pain staking than the gs'ers.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:09 AM »
that is awesome !!! do you put a bait bag in the middle on the bottom of the net? Did you make that net with the spreaders? How long do you let it sit? :thumbsup:

The net is a standard umbrella net, 36x36... I sell them at my shop. I made the bait bag out of a dip net, I cut the metal frame down and tied it to the center of the net. I do the same thing with all of my traps. Where we normally trap, the shiners pick the bait out of the traps pretty quick, The bag prevents them from cleaning me out but still puts plenty of scent in the water.

With the drop net, we don't let it sit long at all. Maybe a minute or two. We make a lot of hauls and usually get a dozen at a clip, it adds up fast. This new spot we found was just nuts, drop the net and give it a second and pull it...  :o

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:11 AM »
What kind of bait was the majority, Looks like a mixed bag.

The majority of them are mummies (Mummichogs, Kellies) there are also a bunch of small bluegill (perfect for crappie) and some small goldens.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:14 AM »
 I was thinking about getting a bunch of them for jigging.

I have customers that specifically ask for them. They are tough as nails and the trout and walleye love them in our area. This summer as an experiment. I took a dozen of them and kept them at the shop on wet sea weed in a sandworm box in the refrigerator. They lasted over a week that way!  :o

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #64 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:53 AM »
Looks like I'll be gettin one of those umbrella nets
How are the edges ?

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:03 AM »
You sould be able to pick one up for around $16... ;)

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #66 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:30 AM »
RIFish,

Pulaski has Killifish.  Whenever I went to check the ice there I could see them all dashing back and forth under my feet.  A lot of other places have them as well but I know your near there. I use to catch them with small nets... with a big one or umbrella net you should kill em.

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:52 PM »
I picked up my traps today so I didnt have to find them in the snow tommarow.  Didnt do so well only two shiners and a bunch of leeches.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #68 on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:21 PM »
I picked up my traps today so I didnt have to find them in the snow tommarow.  Didnt do so well only two shiners and a bunch of leeches.

Keep the leeches for jigging?

Good idea pulling your traps, I am going to tonight also.  I've been relying on throwing an anchor 15-20 times to bust the ice when the traps freeze in but I don't think that will be too easy with 4 inches of snow on there.

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:28 PM »
they are calling for 8=12 inches around here and they already canceled school tommarow

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:30 PM »
Keep the leeches for jigging?

no  leeches just ball up in the cold. 

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:38 PM »
no  leeches just ball up in the cold. 

That sucks.. sorry to hear you didn't make out well.

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #72 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:00 PM »
Im pullin my traps tomorrow morn . before the snow only got 1 today out of 3 traps  :'( I went to Ocean state bait n tackle on Branch ave this morning at 6;5o  CLOSED there web site said open at 5 am NOT  they need to update their web site !
How are the edges ?

Offline tightline02917

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:42 PM »
i went by there yesterday around noon time an they were closed i work in coventry an have checked out the new store they are stocked up pretty good

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #74 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Only getting one means they are there... I'd keep at it.

Are you floating your trap like I said? How big is the place?

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #75 on: Dec 19, 2008, 11:34 AM »
Tightline and I concluded our trapping yesterday with 18 doz. more of various sizes.

Now we will probably put less effort into it, maybe try fill the rest of the tank up with big guys.  Maybe get some "big saltys", lol.

One thing that does suck about having all this bait.  They spit up so much god d*mn bread that its IMPOSSIBLE to keep the water clean.

Offline JimC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Try leaving them in a big cooler for 2 days before you put them in the actual bait tank. This helps them purge themselves out and the water in the real tank will stay nice and clean.

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Thats a great spot your at. Good to see it is yeilding big ones this year! Do you keep them alive in the tap?

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #78 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:47 PM »
Try leaving them in a big cooler for 2 days before you put them in the actual bait tank. This helps them purge themselves out and the water in the real tank will stay nice and clean.

Good idea Jim, I will give that a go.  Good idea!

Josh I have a tank.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #79 on: Dec 26, 2008, 04:33 PM »
Took some pics while doing maintence on the tank today.

Mind the ugly bricks in there... I have so many that they get stuck to the plug and it stops the filter and then everything freezes and it turns into a big pain in the a** to get going again... I am trying to keep them away from there.

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 26, 2008, 05:19 PM »
what size are those ? how many?  nice catch no buyin bait for you this year. :thumbsup:
How are the edges ?

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #81 on: Dec 26, 2008, 11:43 PM »
Various sizes... probaly 50% medium, 25% heavy medium and 25% large.  I will probaly still buy some bigger ones to even it out.

I'd estimate hmm... 1500-2000... probaly more.. I kept track for the first four days or so I had 350-400. But after that I stopped keeping track of how many I was putting in, but I was getting about 12-15 dozen a day between a few spots. The last day was killer though, 18 dozen.

I want to try some new spots though... and get more 10-12"ers.  Those were the whole purpose of having the tank.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.