Author Topic: Marking Pike with bread ties  (Read 2073 times)

Offline FlatRiver13

• IceShanty Rookie
Marking Pike with bread ties
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:09 PM »
We've seen this twice recently...stupid bread twist ties attached to the fins of pike we are catching in RI. Are we the only ones who think this is a really stupid practice?? Not only can it bother the fish, but to us it sorta sours that great moment of seeing the toothy creature emerge in all it's natural beauty. Two unnatural, cheesy bread ties on 2 of our 5 pike so far (one even showed up in the photo's we were proud of as we didn't see it till after). Hopefully nobody on this forum does this, & we'll continue removing them as fast as you can put them on. Hopefully others who think this is dumb will do the same. Unlike a legit tagging system with numbers, how much info is a damn primitive bread thing gonna offer? Only that you caught it before & it's cool to catch it again?

Offline SHORTSEASON

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marking Pike with bread ties
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:29 PM »
I don't get it either. Ive gotton two this year. One rye one white.------SS
--NON STOP FISHN'

Offline mazzman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:59 PM »
I agree - this is a truly lame thing to do.  W T F ???  Just let the friggin fish swim away without having to stamp it as your fish!!!

If tying a bread tie to the fish is part of your idiotic private study,  this proves that we really should be spending more tax dollars on our educational system!  

Mazzman

Offline Hardwaterhank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Was the white or the wheat the bigger fish?

Offline iceFINaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:17 AM »
Totally against it. Simply ridiculous.   ???
~The good thing with ice fishing is there never can be a bad weather day while you're doing it~ Mark 2010~

Offline esox1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:13 AM »
thats assinine! gotta be a jack@$$ to do that, totally unethical. catch it, admire it, release it. were these things able to be removed so the fish was unharmed or did they put it through the fin? :%$#!:

Offline FlatRiver13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Yes, it leaves an open friggin' hole in the damn fin to boot after we cut 'em off! Again, totally stupid all the way around.....
It ruins the admiration of a wild creature when it has to come out all decorated with pointless crap. Sadly, who's ever been doing this has caught quite a few pike judging by our 2 to 5 ratio, plus other folks who have chimed in to seeing this as well....

Offline Hardwaterhank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Defininetly don't agree I've caught bass in the same place with real tags that say "please release me" bottom line it's illegal

Offline pondyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:49 PM »
thats tagging and thats a crime so is marking fins with a notch ??? >:( :nono: :icefish: :icefish:
big bait big fish   randall made knives

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:19 AM »
So in trying to study the fish for some unknown reason they are actually keeping them out of the water to mark them which increases the chance of harm to the fish...makes sense to me :wacko:

Offline pondyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:00 AM »
 not just time out of water but long term affect what do they do to the fish. scientist use tags that fall off after time  what these people do is per. the fish may grow around it like a tree does an old sign or fence
big bait big fish   randall made knives

Offline flagup55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Caught one at Wordens today with bread bag tie.  If the guy who tags them reads this he can meet me at the boat ramp I have all the information for him  ;)

Offline SHORTSEASON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:17 PM »
 Not only can it bother the fish, but to us it sorta sours that great moment of seeing the toothy creature emerge in all it's natural beauty.

Flatriver said it all above. Yea, Im cutting them off to. I already have.-------------SS
--NON STOP FISHN'

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:42 PM »
This happenig up the northern RI ponds too or just the south?

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Not sure about this one...  my gutt feeling is that I don't agree with it.  However, if it was done for research to somehow benefit fishing in our state, then I might have a different opinion.  Wow, I sound like a typical RI politician!

Offline flagup55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:17 PM »
A tagging study is really complex from my experience trying to put one together.  This ties thing is stupid and proves nothing.  I saw no identifiable information on the tag and thus the fish cannot be determined. 

I do not know RI law on tagging freshwater fish.  This is a website that is actually pretty cool on doing your own fish tagging.  I am not saying it is a good idea or would provide any scientific info.

http://www.fishtagger.com

Offline ucwp5678

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where did everyone go?
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:41 PM »
It's agin the law boys....shoot or hang um on sight! (The bad guys that is)

Offline iceFINaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:15 PM »
BREAD TIE: I must admit it was an unatural sight and ugly at that.  There is no scientific value to it what so ever (in this case).  I was with flagup55 and we were just discussing how disturbing it is.  Then some time later we catch a bread tagged Pike!  One of the gill rakes were ripped in half also.  The only good thing that came from it and it had nothing to do with the unsightly bread tie was the fact the fish survived with the injured gill and continues to feed.  The fish was stripped of the tag and released once again.
~The good thing with ice fishing is there never can be a bad weather day while you're doing it~ Mark 2010~

Offline SHORTSEASON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:05 AM »
BREAD TIE: I must admit it was an unatural sight and ugly at that.  There is no scientific value to it what so ever (in this case).  I was with flagup55 and we were just discussing how disturbing it is.  Then some time later we catch a bread tagged Pike!  One of the gill rakes were ripped in half also.  The only good thing that came from it and it had nothing to do with the unsightly bread tie was the fact the fish survived with the injured gill and continues to feed.  The fish was stripped of the tag and released once again.

Did it look like this, 7.8lbs ? I never cut this tag off . Wasn't sure what the deal was with them. I wrote this post back in January. It shows they will live if there bleeding.-----------SS

--NON STOP FISHN'

Offline flagup55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:58 AM »
yes sir very similar.  Was 8.5 lbs this time.

Offline mpx3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:17 PM »
that pisses me off

Offline iceFINaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Did it look like this, 7.8lbs ? I never cut this tag off . Wasn't sure what the deal was with them. I wrote this post back in January. It shows they will live if there bleeding.-----------SS

(Image removed from quote.)

That's the fish! 

Offline iceFINaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:02 PM »
yes sir very similar.  Was 8.5 lbs this time.
  flagup55, I'd say that's the fish. How about you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.