Author Topic: Creepers  (Read 2775 times)

Offline gillhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
Creepers
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:23 AM »
I've ice fished for nearly 25 yrs without using creepers, and think its time before I get hurt.  What type and brand do you guys use?  Which one do you think is the best bang for your $?  thanks for your input.  Fish-on

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Creepers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:35 AM »
Krokers used for river fishing are my favorite..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:46 AM »
2 big dog collars from pet store, 4 or 6 metal bottlecaps 4 or 6 small nuts and bolts[ size them up]. when they wear down, save the caps from the next 6 pack and change them.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:53 AM »
2 big dog collars from pet store, 4 or 6 metal bottlecaps 4 or 6 small nuts and bolts[ size them up]. when they wear down, save the caps from the next 6 pack and change them.

I like it!

Once my $2.00 pair give up the goast I'll give it a try

-Bob

Offline big_ajk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I use these,
http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=EXS

Will never go back to anything else.  I just wear regular tennies under mine and with the studs in the bottom I never have to worry about falling or anything.  Plus my feet NEVER get cold.  Worth every penny I paid for them.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:17 AM »
I just screw some sheet metal screws into the bottom of my boots..short ones ;D

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:50 AM »
i think the HT with the Velcro straps are the best for the $$, i think i paid 20$ for mine,there similar to korkers but very easy to put on and take off,i thought about putting screws in my tread but i just can't bring myself to screw holes in my boots

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Love my Stabil Icers, 3 seasons on them and in like new condition yet. Used to use the cheap $5 rubber ones but git tired of them falling off all the time and the grips were under the ball of your foot and got painfull after awhile, plus thats the only grip they had, took more than 1 spill on those. Stabil Icers have carbide tipped screws in the bottoms and you can run on glare ice without worries of falling.

Offline bsteckel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • rippin' lips in NE PA
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:34 AM »
agree with esox on the rubber pull overs .. the ones i use only have the grip on the ball of the foot area .. if you forget to "tiptoe" you run the risk of falling on your a$$.  i will be looking for some with teeth under the whole foot. probably a good idea to spend a few bucks on these.

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2010, 01:59 PM »
I have been using the HT rubber pull over ones for a few years, they work pretty good. :)

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2010, 04:20 PM »
I just screw some sheet metal screws into the bottom of my boots..short ones ;D

I did this today!! used metal framing screws.. they are about 1/2" long and worked great!...

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2010, 05:38 PM »
I love my Kokers, but they are expensive.  I also like the Yaktracks.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:56 PM »
I have been using the HT rubber pull over ones for a few years, they work pretty good. :)

Same, although I will say I just had one rip on me after a few years of use. No complaints though, as I felt I've got my money's worth.

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:48 PM »
yaktrax walkers spring wire uder heel and sole/toe area had the others nothing under heel didnt ever figure out I could do the splits till I wore those on some glare ice with too much confidence

Offline IcePirate6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaggg!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:10 PM »
HT Sure Grips work great. They are rubber and stretch over my mickey mouse boots nicely

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2010, 11:36 PM »
i got a pair of ht pull on rubber ones with the rows of spikes under the toe. got em for christmas gander had em for like 5 bucks a pair so far they have worked great the few times ive needed em and best of all they are inexpensive

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I'm with softspot, had the cheapos for three years they've lost a few spikes but still work, for $5. And if all that crap is made in China anyway, why pay more? 
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:42 PM »
I bought yaktrax a couple of seasons ago.  20 bucks a set and thought they were great the first time i used them but the rubber snapped on both of them on the 2nd trip and were no good.  I bought a set of HT's with the velcro straps, vibram sole and replaceable screws and they work great but are HEAVY.  I may have to try putting screws directly into my boots!  That sounds like a great plan!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline mammathoner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I just bought a pair of Kahtoola Micro spikes, about $50 but have a great reputation.

Also, Staatsburg crampons, the ones with the metal fram that wraps around (not style #286) are also highly rated but are also a little more money.
"Time spent wasted is not wasted time" - Keith Richards

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Far as I know Stabil Icers are again made in the USA, I know both my pairs are.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.