Author Topic: Is a OTTER cabin pop up dark enough to spear in?  (Read 684 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is a OTTER cabin pop up dark enough to spear in?
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Just wondering would like to try but don't want to buy the stuff and cant

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Is a OTTER cabin pop up dark enough to spear in?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Just wondering would like to try but don't want to buy the stuff and cant

Don't know what you have for an auger but if you can drill overlapping holes, do it.  Cut a hole around a foot square or so with you auger, set up your hub and look down the hole.  Can you see bottom in 8 foot?  Lower a larger light colored lure, any lure even summertime bait. Can you see your bait?

Your answers will tell you what you need to know.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Don't know what you have for an auger but if you can drill overlapping holes, do it.  Cut a hole around a foot square or so with you auger, set up your hub and look down the hole.  Can you see bottom in 8 foot?  Lower a larger light colored lure, any lure even summertime bait. Can you see your bait?

Your answers will tell you what you need to know.

Dave,  he is trying to figure it out without buying Otter Cabin.   He wants feedback from people who use one to tell him.

I have a Clam Nanook, insulated and mine is dark inside even in daylight, but can't speak for Otters. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Dave,  he is trying to figure it out without buying Otter Cabin.   He wants feedback from people who use one to tell him.

I have a Clam Nanook, insulated and mine is dark inside even in daylight, but can't speak for Otters.

Guess I misinterpreted what was wrote. I read it as he had the Otter cabin but didn't want to by the spearing equipment, unless his shelter would be dark enough.  sorry
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Guess I misinterpreted what was wrote. I read it as he had the Otter cabin but didn't want to by the spearing equipment, unless his shelter would be dark enough.  sorry

It could go that way too..I read it the other way.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:18 PM »
Sorry for the confusion gentlemen, I do have a Otter cabin now. I did as Dave said and I could see bottom fairly well with bright sun. 2 of the windows peak a little light but I think I can fix that. I just don't want to buy a spear and saw and then find out I can't see anything. I speared many years ago but from a permanent which some locals decided to drive through with there truck it cost me $800 bucks back then it was really nice. Now that the hurt has gone away I thought portable would be the way to go. Thanks for the help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.