Author Topic: Bushwhacking sled?  (Read 725 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bushwhacking sled?
« on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:08 PM »
I’m well below the ice belt, and consistently good ice is very rare. I’m usually not able to just pick a convenient access point, and simply walk across the lake to fish a spot. Good ice can only be accessed by small hiking trails, or more frequently making my own trail in steep/rough terrain.

I know that I need to reduce what I carry, but an electric drill auger, small hub shelter, and little buddy heater make ice fishing much more enjoyable.

I can easily fit all my gear into a Jet Sled 1, and the sled (lightly loaded) is fine on the lake even in heavy snow.

Just curious if other types of sleds (like a game sled or pulk hiking sled) would be better for dragging gear to the lake over rough terrain? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Bushwhacking sled?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:57 PM »
I just got the Jet sled XL added the runner kit ..I really like it more gear and pulls very easy . I also have an Otter the same size ..although bullet proof it just does not glide through the ice ..add ANY snow sucks even more . Weight difference between the two I believe 10 lbs.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:52 PM »
If you don't have snow, a wagon might be a lot easier dragging than a sled. It would pull easy on bare ice or bare dirt, which I assume you have a lot of. There are garden carts and collapsable cart for kids sports gear, even coolers with wheels that might work. If I were closer, I have a cart I used to bring in firewood I would donate to the cause.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:04 PM »
 I'm "fringe" ice belt and below the snow belt most years. Our main lake is about a 1/4mile back a dirt road. Lots of guys use "little red wagons", 2 wheeled carts or some other home made cart. A few even put wheels on their sleds that they can either move or take off once on the ice. 

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Gorilla Wagon from Home Depot is great for the money. Nice big pneumatic tires, good height and ingenious dumping system. Mostly for bringing in the firewood. I’d say handle needs an extension though unless they fixed that over the years since mine.
Used it for walk in fishing on paved closed campground roads. Tried to ride it downhill once, not a good steering position. Didn’t end well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.