Author Topic: Camping on the ice.  (Read 73109 times)

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Camping on the ice.
« Reply #210 on: Dec 19, 2019, 10:31 AM »
I have been out camping 3 nights so far this year from 27 to 7 degrees f. I have the fatfish 9416i paired with 2 buddy heaters, doubled up 0 degree sleeping bags and a cot. Comfortably fits and fishs 2. We usually bring totes to store food, sleeping equipment and other necessary items that cannot get wet. They also double as table for drinks and electronics. The foam floor sounds great but fishing in pa there are no motor vehicles allowed on ice so ya kind of choose what is worth hauling out. Cot makes good rod holders. Bring plenty of propane and antifreeze, headlamp a must, dont get wet, catch a bunch of fish, and cook some good meals. Doesn't get much better.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #211 on: Dec 20, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Our overnight is coming up after Christmas.  Been looking forward to it all year.

Who else is planning an overnight trip this season?  It would be great to get some new trip reports.

Nosaj?
doctorgee?
lowaccord?
bassin?
ActiveTrapChecker?

I don't have an official trip planned yet, but have to make repairs to my Clam Hub Shelter. I fished in some very crazy winds and the poles ended up poking through the canvas and straps broke from the ice anchors. So after making the repairs I'll be good to go!
Tight Lines!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:38 PM »
Our overnight is coming up after Christmas.  Been looking forward to it all year.

Who else is planning an overnight trip this season?  It would be great to get some new trip reports.

Nosaj?
doctorgee?
lowaccord?
bassin?
ActiveTrapChecker?

Oh I am going to be camping dozens of nights this season! Actually as soon as there is ice I will be pulling my trailer with me to work every Friday and when I get out at 4pm it will be game on! Every. Single. Weekend! Stay tuned, I will be posting reports.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #213 on: Dec 20, 2019, 03:37 PM »

Nosaj?
doctorgee?
lowaccord?
bassin?
ActiveTrapChecker?

It's on the list of things to do. Got to put the hunting gear away then it's off to the next season.
Lake has yet to be determined but the planning is already pages long in my head...

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #214 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Who's lived in their shanty for a weekend?  What did you do right?  What could you have done better?   How cold was it?

I suggest you update this yearly

BEST.  TRIP.  EVER.

Long post warning.  I may find a different format for future reports.  The IS proxy and my web server have a funny relationship sometimes.  If images don’t display, just reload the page.

The ammondude and I took overnight trip #4 on December 30-31, 2019.  High temp on day one: 10 deg F.  Low temp overnight: About 0 deg F.  High on day two: About 21 deg F.

Here are links to the previous trips:

2015: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3440566#msg3440566
2016: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3587572#msg3587572
2018: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3921461#msg3921461

And for the first time, here are links to my two prep checklists, in one document.  I only claim that they are right for us.  YMMV, and I hope they help someone.

(checklist link)

In addition to our normal preparation and most of the identified adjustments from last year, we added two new things:

- A Strikemaster Lithium 40V 8-inch auger
- An Aqua-Vu Revolution 5.0 Pro.

Among the adjustments from last year: Add a (third) Jet Sled XL and cover.  Here are pics of the Otter hitch install on the new Jet Sled XL (Shappell HD hitch also attached).  I’m very pleased with it:

Ammondude’s primary goal was to catch a nice rainbow/cutthroat hybrid.  As usual, I thought it would be nice to catch a giant one, but would be happy to take home and eat trout > 2 pounds.

Based on local ice conditions, we opted to return to Henry’s Lake, Idaho, where the ice was > 12 inches and fishing reports had been good.  I figure it’s OK to mention the location as this place gets lots of press already and won’t hot-spot due to my report.  I was disappointed that prospector couldn’t join us, nor could some other friends from home.  Once again, it was just the two of us.  But that’s OK, we’re good company!

Folks had been getting trucks stuck at our usual parking area, so we passed on that and formulated a plan with three, prioritized, alternate parking spots.  The trip across the ice from alternate site 1 would be a little longer to our intended camping spot, probably about 2.5 miles, but we figured that shouldn’t be a problem.  There were videos online of folks buzzing around on snowmobiles.

A reasonable, mid-morning departure had us parking at alternate site 1 about 1:40 p.m., nearly 2 hours later than last year.  By 2:30 or so, we were loaded and ready for our trek across the lake before an expected sunset at 5:00.

Zoom!  Sunny and calm day, about 8 degrees F, cruising across the ice with our train of cargo, life was good.  Nothing falling off sleds, no problems, just peachy, blissful progress.

Then it happened.  The snowmobile slowed and sank—SLUSH!  Aaargh!  Like 10 inches deep! I almost got stuck, and the ammondude almost got stuck behind me, and after some tense moments crawling along at full throttle, we got back onto solid ice.  What to do?  Let’s stick closer to shore.  OK.  But before we could get closer to shore – SLUSH AGAIN!  AARGH!  An even bigger patch.  This time I made it out and ammondude didn’t. A stuck snowmobile on the flat, on our beautiful day!!  I post holed back through the slush and snow, we unhooked his cargo sleds, and I mounted his snowmobile.  Two or three sessions of him pulling on a ski and me rocking the snowmobile while throttling up, and we got the beast back to some solid frozen water.  Then we had to go back and manually pull the cargo sleds to solid “ground,” one each.  Those things are work to pull when the surface is not solid!  Here is Ammondude pulling the second cargo sled.  You can see his coat back at the stuck spot, my tracks on the right, and his stuck/unstuck tracks in the middle.

Now it’s after 3:00 p.m.  We need to get shelter set up, preferably before dark.  And please, no more slush today.  In the meantime, gotta strip off layers and evaporate some sweat.  Hey, I will call prospector.  He was here like last week.  Were there any slush pockets when you were here?  Yes, but they were no problem as I was not towing large amounts of cargo.  Ergh.

Then came the good decision that saved the day:  No summit fever.  Our favorite spot would be reserved for another day.  Let’s find some reasonable ice surface with at least 10 FOW and make do.  Make camp, get fishing.  Deal.  We stopped at a group fishing nearby to ask about slush.  “Slush?  What slush?”  They had seen none.  OK, let’s backtrack a bit, which we did, then we paused to find a good path to deeper water.

My snowmobile has a longer track with longer paddles (better slush escaping capability), so we unhooked my fishing sled and cargo sled, and I went exploring.  Found one slush pocket, then a path around it, and then made some circles farther out in to the lake until I figured the water would be as deep as we wanted.  Went back, hooked up, and we took the whole train out to the chosen spot.   Drilled a hole.  Hey!  13 FOW!  We have a home for the night!  And about 90 minutes of light.

After clearing some snow and setting up the shelter, we agreed that a shovel would sure be handy even if only for that task.  Hmmm.  More cargo… 

Hey ammondude, I’ll work on camp and you work on fishing.  OK!  Spoiler alert: From the moment he started fishing, until we left, there was not more than 15 minutes between bites.  For like 24 hours.  Best ice fishing action we ever, ever had.  Before you know it, he is icing and releasing some nice hybrids in the 16-18 inch range.  Hey, this will do!  After the beds were made, I put in a dead stick on my AK Salmonbear and also caught a nice hybrid.  They seemed to be about 2 lbs. and sooo beautiful.

Even with the steady bite we managed to get camp set up by dark.  Here’s a look at this year’s camp site:

With the steady action it was hard to pause for dinner, but somehow I got ammondude to heat up the brisket.  Check out his hot brisket sandwich on an onion bun.

Item to do better this year: Remember the Tang!  Check!  Oh man, that hot Tang hits the spot.  Totally recommendable.

Fishing near the submersible light, watching the Aqua-Vu and the lx6-s is always so fun.  Before we knew it, it was like 10:00 p.m. and time for bed.  For about 90 minutes, ammondude would put a dead stick down the hole and turn to get ready for bed, only to get interrupted with fish on the screen(s) and/or biting.  Finally, he announced that he was not going to leave a line in the water overnight.  He pulled up, and got dressed for bed.   

How can you not put a line in the water overnight?  I rigged up a dead stick and turned to change my clothes.  Ding, ding, ding.  OK.  I iced a 2 lb. cut and gave in.  I kept it, declared I was also done fishing, and went to bed at nearly midnight.

Our sleeping system is solid.  The bunkbed cots, with extensions and foot pads, two sleeping pads and two zero degree bags on each level, are so comfy.  Between that and changing into clean, dry everything, it can’t be beat.  I got too warm a few times, then a little cool once, adjusting layers each time.  Ammondude was steady-comfortable all night.  We were so cozy that we slept until 8:30 a.m.!  As always, no heater needed overnight.

Finally, I climbed out of bed, turned on the heater, and then just got back in.  Ammondude got up and going, and got into fish.  Boom.  Like the night bite never ended.

Time to get going.  I got out of bed and got a pole in the water and the camera going, and got to changing clothes, eating breakfast, and fishing.  I got breakfast in me and my lower half dressed, then took off my night-time top layers and started getting my top half dressed, when a BIG fish caught my eye on the camera.  “Big fish!  Big fish!”  I grabbed the rod and jigged a little and the big brute went right for it, and I set the hook. “It’s really big!”  Ammondude rushed in to help but was called outside by a ringing bell on one of his poles.  Four one-handed tries later, I pulled out a rainbow/cutt hybrid 2 oz short of my PB, at 8 lb 2 oz.  Threw my bib suspenders over my shoulder and popped outside for a picture.

Got some more clothing on and took a few more.  Gotta get that Ice Shanty logo in the shot.

Here is what the average fish interaction looked like for most of the trip:

And here is a large one that didn’t bite.  These get the heart pounding:

We went on to catch others, but when I iced a 3 pounder, I declared success and was done.  Gotta love it when the three pounder looks small.

Finally ammondude got a 4 lb 3 oz hybrid.  Beautiful.

Eventually he kept a second fish and was also done.

It snowed most of the time we were there, and from lunchtime, on, and as we packed up, with temps rising to the 20’s, the the FF9416i got saturated with moisture, and the pole ends in the center of the shelter started a terrible drip, like real bad!  If that had happened during the night it would have been untenable.  The shelter is a little short, and my back was a little sore by the time we were done, from not standing straight inside.   And the zippers got a little stubborn, frozen I think.  Despite all that, I still like it for overnight, but I gotta figure out how to prep for those drips if they ever happen overnight. Maybe they won’t, as we don’t run the heater in the night and the top should just be frozen.

Time to pack up and get going.  I hope we don’t find new slush on the way to the car.  We got everything packed, and went to fold up the shelter, and it was so saturated and frozen that it collapsed this much only:

Holy crud!  That won’t fit anywhere, let alone fitting in the bag!!  We finally experienced "can’t get the Eskimo shelter in the bag."  No way to attach it anywhere for transport.  We just need to leave it here and make an extra run to come get it.  Good thing we’re not 2 miles from the truck this year!

Started the snowmobiles to make sure they weren’t frozen in place.  Mine was a little bit, but broke free easily enough.  Ammondude’s would spin the track but wouldn’t go anywhere.  Turns out that in addition to the four inches of ice on top of the skis, there was 2-3 in inches of ice on the bottom of the skis, all left over from our wet fun the day before.  We used my ice chisel to clear the ski bottoms and it was fine.  We got back to the truck without incident (whew).  Here’s the whole train minus the shelter:

A quick and uneventful return trip for the shelter, and before you know it, we’re packed up for the road.  Time to head home as the sun sets, about 5:00 p.m.

A customary Big Mac on the drive home, and a big fillet party two days later.

Simply amazing.

OK, last year’s identified improvements:

-Limit Ammondude to one brisket sandwich: Check!
-Remember the Tang: Check!
-Add another Jet Sled XL, Shappell HD hitch, cover, and an Otter hitch receiver: Check!  Great add.
-Convert the box sled to use a Shappell HD hitch: Didn’t get this done, but got the hardware built for the conversion.
-Consider a backup/secondary heat source: Took the portable buddy heater and extra fuel, and didn’t touch them, but we’re glad we took them.  We’re likely to have a backup heat source with us in the future.
-Take a folding stool for the old man sleeping on the top bunk: Check!  A good add.
-Take more and better trip documentation pics: Check!
-Record some Aqua-Vu video: Check, but we still missed some great footage.
-Get a more accurate measurement of propane usage: The Big Buddy used 1.1 gallons (~4.62 lb), less than half of the 11 lb cylinder capacity.  I was surprised, as we had the heater on for probably > 6 hours, much of that time on high.

Did right:

-Ditched the original destination and found a different place to camp.
-Waterproof boots saved us, big time.  Good footwear is such an imperative.
-Extra clothing made ammondude’s time a lot better.  He had some saturated layers after the slush fun.
-Covers on the cargo sleds saved bedding and heaters in the slush party.

What to do better next time:

-Consider adding a small shovel, like my avalanche shovel or some such, to clear snow for the shelter.
-Get back to an earlier start with pre-Noon arrival.  Much better.
-Pack some extra straps to carry a frozen shelter on one of the loaded sleds if needed.
-Ammondude tuck in yer pants in case of slush.
-Find more non-cotton clothing.
-Figure out a slush hand signal to have the guy in back stop even though the guy in front is gunning it through the slush.
-Record even more underwater video, by leaving the unit in record mode instead of waiting for fish to appear before hitting the Rec button.

Lingering concerns:

-Newer snowmobiles would not get slush-stuck as easily… Ergh.
-What do do about the 9416i drips?

Future:

Some day I may customize a flip-over for solo runs.  Maybe a clam X300, sleeper-style like the Utah guys and prospector build.

Whew.  Long read.   But shorter than watching prospector’s most recent video…  ;)
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #215 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:22 PM »
That was FANTASTIC Steve !!!😊😊😊😊
Thanks for sharing!!

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:35 PM »
Great read and great fishing!!!

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #217 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:04 PM »
Looked like fun! This time next week I will be on a lake in my Eskimo reading ice shanty posts while jigging for walleye or anything that will bite. I hope the bite is as good for me as it was for you guys! I will give a full report after the trip is complete. I’m going solo since nobody else was willing to try it!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #218 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:17 AM »
I am so happy for you Steve!. Congratulations on a great trip. I couldn’t believe how big your smile was holding that fish. Couldn’t of happened to a nicer guy! I am off to flaming Gorge for the next six or seven days and will be camping on the ice as well. I have 20 movies downloaded on my RT nine fishfinder. 😂 I will try and put a video together and share a link on this great  thread. Thanks for taking the time as always and putting such a great post together.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #219 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Looks like an awesome trip. I hope to be able to do something like that one day. :tipup:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #220 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:41 AM »
Anyone want to join me for a little camping tonight?  :whistle:

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #221 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:46 AM »
I’m all about adventure but a guy has to have limits. The weather for me next week looks like negative highs but like -13 for low and 0 or so for highs......

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:02 PM »
Anyone want to join me for a little camping tonight?  :whistle:

We fished in -23 last year with feels-like at -50 last year when Chicago got hit with a cold front, the fishing was nonstop and we managed to stay pretty toasty. The walk back to the car was cold but bearable. Would def like to try that out!
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:06 PM »
Wow, great fish & great read, very captivating! Thanks for taking the time to share
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:36 PM »
Great story Steve, was a pleasure to read. I'm guessing this post and its pics could easily be turned into a magazine article and sold to cover the costs of the next adventure...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #225 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:53 PM »
Outstanding story.  Sounds like a great adventure. I especially like the "after action" portion of your post. Learning something new from each trip is what it's all about.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #226 on: Jan 09, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Hey Steve!  Great post brother!  Happy to see the thread come back around...maybe next year Ill fly or drive out to join!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #227 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:26 PM »
FG Steve, Thank for sharing the photos from and story of this year trip with Ammondude. Good to read you were able to free your snow mobiles from the slush.  The details you share and post trip comments a helpful to everyone planing or thinking of doing such a trip.Congratulations to the two of you on your catch. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Drifter_016 I'm not enough of a ice fishing Diehard to attempt a over night trip in that temperature range. How much fire wood do think would be burned to keep the outfitter tent near twenty degrees C /70 F . Also if needed who would I cuddle with You or your canine buddy Shatu. ::) :whistle:

Steve

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:36 PM »
I’ve spent several week long trips camping out in a popup at 40 below.  With the proper gear it’s very doable and very comfortable and the fishing can be phenomenal.  The temps up at the lake right now are sitting around -39 and they are forecasted to drop down around -50 tomorrow and sat.  I kind of want to go up for those temps but I broke a bunch of stuff on the last trip when it was only -32. It sucks when gear gets old.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Jan 10, 2020, 06:15 AM »
Awesome thread guys! The holy grail for most ice fisherman!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #230 on: Jan 11, 2020, 12:07 PM »
I have the fatfish 9416i paired with 2 buddy heaters, doubled up 0 degree sleeping bags and a cot. Comfortably fits and fishs 2. We usually bring totes to store food, sleeping equipment and other necessary items that cannot get wet. ...Cot makes good rod holders....

FC, are you using two Portable Buddy heaters?  I assume it's not two Big Buddy heaters.  Where do you place them?  As we also use a 9416i, I'm interested in how you use the floor space.  Here is our basic layout, built onto the diagram from geteskimo.com:

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Jan 11, 2020, 12:30 PM »
FC, are you using two Portable Buddy heaters?  I assume it's not two Big Buddy heaters.  Where do you place them?  As we also use a 9416i, I'm interested in how you use the floor space.  Here is our basic layout, built onto the diagram from geteskimo.com:

(Image removed from quote.)

A quick cartoon... there isn't nearly that much extra space. We keep food, sleeping bags and anything we can't afford to get wet in totes. Haven't had a chance to actually drive on a lake so we haul everything with man power. I inherited a decent sized truck bed box maybe 3 by 3 by 2.5 feet, we will see if it can hold everything we need for a couple night trip. The totes actually come in handy as tables and holding electronics. I like their design if only we had bunks but I see that getting unstable on melting snow/ice. We bring 2 buddy heaters just in case one fails or whatever. I believe it mainly depends on how good your sleeping bags are on how much heat you need the buddy's pumping out. They were little buddy heaters but I purchased the big buddy and am waiting to use. Will be trying out after the brainerd jaycees, there hasn't been great ice here in pa so I am waiting to go back north. Were thinking lake of the woods or the bwca area so the temps should be great. I'm sure there is much room for improvements but for the most part we just head out to have a good time and catch some fish.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Jan 11, 2020, 02:37 PM »
A quick cartoon... there isn't nearly that much extra space. We keep food, sleeping bags and anything we can't afford to get wet in totes. The totes actually come in handy as tables and holding electronics.

Thanks for the reply and the map!  Yes the space is nice for fishing, cooking, eating, changing, etc.  I should probably add the food coolers and clothing bags to the floor plan map, though the bags usually sit on the Action Packers.  If we emulated your setup, we could sleep four, but I think it would be too crowded when not sleeping.

What are your totes?  We really like and use Rubbermaid Action Packers, but some of our stay-dry stuff is not in them--sometimes we bag that stuff, and after our slush fun this year we'll probably do more of that.

I like their design if only we had bunks but I see that getting unstable on melting snow/ice.

Our cots are Disc-O-Bed size L, with extensions and foot pads.

http://www.discobed.com/cots/disc-o-bed-l-with-organizers/

Size L is more narrow at 28" but we find that to be plenty of sleeping room.

To be clear, these are unquestionably inconvenient to set up and take down.  But once assembled, they are totally solid.  We have never had any inkling of instability at all.  I think the foot pads make a big difference there.  We are totally sold on the cots despite the inconvenient set up and take down.

We bring 2 buddy heaters just in case one fails or whatever. I believe it mainly depends on how good your sleeping bags are on how much heat you need the buddy's pumping out. They were little buddy heaters but I purchased the big buddy and am waiting to use.

Sorry to be a pain--this is the Portable Buddy:

And this is the Little Buddy:

(see https://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/buddy-series.html)

Are you using two Portable Buddy or two Little Buddy heaters?  I am trying to compare BTU/output.  Two Portables on high = one Big on high.

I hope your Big Buddy is the older model with the fan.  I really like the fan.

We have never done any overnight sleeping with the heater running, so far.

for the most part we just head out to have a good time and catch some fish.

I totally agree.  And I love sleeping comfortably in the cold.

Have you ever run into the water dripping problem in your FF9416i on a snowy day, like we did this time?

Offline danger1337

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Great stuff, very jealous
Had thoughts about early ice over nighting as the weather wasn't too bad.
Last couple nights have been -25C

Been on the look out for a smaller wood stove and maybe rigging up one of my single tents to use with it.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #234 on: Jan 12, 2020, 04:01 PM »
I’ve spent several week long trips camping out in a popup at 40 below.

AKH, that is amazing.  It would be great to hear as much detail about your setup as you are willing to share.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:28 PM »
AKH, that is amazing.  It would be great to hear as much detail about your setup as you are willing to share.

Years ago I wrote a big list in a thread over in the ice shack tips section, I bumped it to the top so you guys can read it.  Before I built my hardside 5 years ago I spent mostly week long trips and a few 2 week long trips staying in a portable fishing in some pretty remote country.  A trip might start with good weather but it can change a lot in a weeks time so you have to be prepared for any temp.  The biggest piece of advice I can give for a weekend warrior would be to keep it simple and don’t overthink it.  Camping on the ice is really no different than camping on land except that your floor will melt and it’s cold out.  The more comfortable you want it the more crap you have to drag around so keep that in mind. 

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #236 on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:54 PM »
I’m leaving for South Dakota Wednesday morning and hope to be on the lake by late morning. Hoping for good weather on the drive up there. I already have most of my gear packed, going to use my Eskimo 6120i hub shack as a base camp/sleeping quarters and then my otter lodge as my mobile setup. Did a trial setup in the garage last week and although it was not exactly as I imagined it in my head, it will work. I got a slumberjack big cot which is enormous! Will be using one sleeping bag as a pad and my 0 degree to sleep in. The cot did not fit to one wall like I had imagined but It did create a great storage space for my totes. Still leaves plenty of room for a chair, two ice holes and an area to setup my camp stove. I also have foam floor mats under the cot as well as for the heater and one for my feet in the morning, cooler will fit under the cot and a tent light/fan will help circulate the air, also planning to use some 12v led lights I got off amazon to light the shack, extremely bright! Supper will hopefully be perch otherwise I plan to bring some chili and heat it on the camp stove. Breakfast will be a jimmy dean breakfast sandwich warmed in foil on the buddy heater, lunch will be a deli meat sandwich both Wednesday and Thursday. The goal is to stay on the lake from late morning Wednesday until late Thursday afternoon, if the fish aren’t biting I may move on to another lake closer to where I’m meeting the group of guys I am fishing with Friday and Saturday. This is the first time I’ve done anything like this, four days of nothing but ice fishing. I will have a full report when I get back, I doubt it will be as good as FG Steve’s but I bet I will have just as much fun!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #237 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:16 PM »
Years ago I wrote a big list in a thread over in the ice shack tips section, I bumped it to the top so you guys can read it.  Before I built my hardside 5 years ago I spent mostly week long trips and a few 2 week long trips staying in a portable fishing in some pretty remote country.  A trip might start with good weather but it can change a lot in a weeks time so you have to be prepared for any temp.  The biggest piece of advice I can give for a weekend warrior would be to keep it simple and don’t overthink it.  Camping on the ice is really no different than camping on land except that your floor will melt and it’s cold out.  The more comfortable you want it the more crap you have to drag around so keep that in mind.

@)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:30 PM »
Case in point, as comfortable as possible. 👍

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:22 PM »
Years ago I wrote a big list in a thread over in the ice shack tips section, I bumped it to the top so you guys can read it.

Thanks!  If I understand correctly, this is the post to which you are referring:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=209782.msg2081929#msg2081929

Thanks for hightlighting that older thread.  I had not discovered it before.

Good tips!  I'll second a few of them specifically:
-heater on a crate
-guy lines all the sides as a rule
-propane heat gives off a lot of moisture [I put a tarp over my sleeping bag until bedtime]
-spare stuff

Drifter is still the king in my book:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.msg3437870#msg3437870

100 miles out via snowmobile at biting NWT temps!! Dave, Did the images originally on that post get lost in the Photobucket mess?

I will have a full report when I get back

Totally looking forward to that!  Good luck and safe travels!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.