Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 12 Mile, Christmas Day  (Read 3252 times)

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
12 Mile, Christmas Day
« on: Dec 25, 2008, 08:24 PM »
I fished 12 mile this afternoon...had no problem catching my limit of keeper walleye plus plenty of extra to throw back.   I only kept the 16 to 20 inchers and let the smaller ones go.   
I was very pleased to find 8 to 9 inches of ice!!   Yes I know, it was christmas day and it was very cold and windy out  but thats what my pop up shack and heater are for.   I concentrated on the edges of the east west roadbed and pretty much fished the bottom the whole time.  I will be there again tomorrow (friday) to see if I can find them again.   I am one of the rare walleye fisherman that have no problem giving details of there success so if you have and questions let me know.   I will report back again tomorrow after I give it another whirl.

Offline jigginit44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing does not build character. It reveals it.
Re: 12 Mile, Christmas Day
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Sounds like you had some success! Have you tried 3 mile at all?

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2008, 08:52 AM »
I have not tried 3 mile yet.   I drove by it Friday and it looked like there were a few people out

12 Mile on Friday was a little slower, i got into a couple of smaller walleye but only one worth keeping so I passed it on to the guy next to me who already had a 20 incher on the ice.   It was tough going.  Later in the day there was anywhere to a half inch to 2 inches of water on the ice making it very tough to walk and move across the lake without splashing water everywhere.  Sounds like it will be that way for awhile with all of this above freezing temps we are suppose to be getting this week during the days.

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Todd, I am going to head down to 12 Mile tomorrow.  Fished 3 Mile but never 12 Mile.  I'd take any pointer/info you can provide to give me a jump start.  Thanks in advance!

Wayne
Wayne

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Wayne, report how you did, we are heading down there Friday.  We are coming down from Waukee.  I heard there is a great gill bite on 12 Mile too. 

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2008, 01:16 PM »
Fished 12 mile this morning from about 7:30-10:30.  Not much going on, only caught 2 gills.  Marked fish often but couldn't get them to bite.  Was one other group out and they caught quite a few gills but no eyes.  Not my day I guess.  Bright side is it can only get better! 
Wayne

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2008, 02:09 PM »
Probably some tough fishing with this cold front, where did you fish at?

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Near the road bed.  Had trouble with my auger so didn't move around a lot. 
Wayne

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2009, 12:56 AM »
made it back to 12 mile tonight (wednesday 12-31-8) from about 7:15 to 10:00 had some trouble finding the eyes at first then finally found a couple about 6 feet off the bottom.....no keepers!  The bite has seemed to have slowed down a bit. It is kind of discouraging but I will keep plugging away at it.

I will probably focus on the deeper water tomorrow towards the south boat ramp.  There is a nice rock pile on the North-South road bed that is close to the creek channel.  It is spot number "6" for those of you who have a twelve mile fishing map

I did drive the truck out about 10 to 20 feet past the boat ramp to give it a test.  She is pretty solid.

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:11 AM »
ME AND tOMMY HUSKER went to 12 mile late yesterday afternoon and absolutely pounded the blue gills.
This lake seems to be coming along very very well.

We were in 23 feet of water and in the ditch on the sunken raod using pilkkis and spikes and or waxworms fishing 3 to 12 inches of the bottom.
Boys and girls let me tell you this lake is fertile to say the least and I have the bluegills to prove it

i can hardly believe how big and fat the gills are there for a lake that was killed off like what three years ago?

I will bet my last dollar that if and when we find some crappies they will be the same way.

I am hearing a buzz that the walleyes are allready 18. to 25 inches and you can bet if the kittys are found its gonna be a great day also

thats nutz

I met todd and he is a no bser and neither am i about trying to put you guys on fish

todd was the last new fishin bud i met in 2008 and what a great way to start off the new year

what an attitude    .................. "im not afraid to tell any one the who what and where i fish"

so refreshing in these times

so stop into the pier in creston and say Barney sent ja

Offline firedutch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:23 AM »
I don't have a marked map. Where is the road bed in relationship to the boat ramps.

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:29 AM »
east boat ramp or west boat ramp will get you there

we have been goin in on the east boat ramp ourselves

you will look east and or west and see how the road bed lies if its daylight

if all else fails u can see the community holes

its a walk for sure or i am not so sure if i had a bigger set on me that i could drive on

there is almost a foot of good hard ice

todd drove on a ways b4 girlfriend got scared

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:39 AM »

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:38 AM »
What map are you referring to Todd?  I've been digging around on the net and doesn't look like Navionics or Lakemaster make one. 

Other than in MN I have never caught a decent eye through the ice.  I'm determined to make it happen!  Hopefully make it down there again this weekend.   
Wayne

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:33 AM »
I am using a marked fishing map that was produced by "WIA"  western iowa anglers.  It is a laminated map found at "The Pier" in Creston.  It has GPS coordinates for the rock pile on the North South road bed and for where the creek channel and bridge intersect the east west road bed.   But you will not need a map for the east west road bed.   Just go to the boat ramp that is on the east side of the lake....as you are turning off the gravel road to turn into the boat ramp you are on what is now the underwater road bed, just look across the lake as you are driving down to the boat ramp and you can see where the road comes out of the water on the other side...it is a straight line across the lake.  follow that half way out there and you will see where everyone has been drilling.   I was the first one to break ice there on Christmas day and now it looks like a swiss cheese.   Stay in that area and put your time in and you will be fine.   

One thing I have noticed is that there has been a lot of trash being left behind...hopefully on accident due to the darkness and forgetfullness.

I will be there this evening, thats for sure!

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:45 AM »
getting ready to head to 12 mile again to see if I can pin point em.   I will let you all now if the action for the walleyes picks up.  I met Barney there last night....great guy!  Sounds like he had a productive day with the gills and is willing to help people find em.  It is nice to run into people like this. 

I also believe he lost a small battery on the ice last night so if anyone happens to find it keep in touch with him.

Good luck and I will see you on the ice.

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for the info Todd.  I might make it down there this afternoon also so may run into you.   
Wayne

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2009, 02:34 PM »
battery is found !

it never made it out of the clam actually but i didnt know that last night

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2009, 04:37 PM »
We will be out tomorrow morning, not sure if we will start on 3 Mile or 12 Mile.  Thanks for the info fellows.  We got a cabin rented at Three Mile for the weekend. 

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:00 PM »
i sent a few old buds out on 12 mile today

they got a fair amount of gills and a few small crappies a ten inch walleye. two bass around 4 lbs, and two cats one around 2 lbs and one about 4 lbs

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:41 PM »
was on 12 mile today from about 1:30 to 5:00   It was slow for me.  I only ended up catching 2 walleyes not worth keeping a handfull of gills and a couple of bass.  I was mostly targeting walleyes with large minnows, but the few times I through on a wax worm the gills seemed to still be around,  i hope the walleye bite picks up again!!

I ended up going to a farm pond from about 6:00 to 8:00 and ended up with 8 crappie.  they were only running 10 inches, but that is better than nothing.

Offline vexaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I am using a marked fishing map that was produced by "WIA"  western iowa anglers.  It is a laminated map found at "The Pier" in Creston.  It has GPS coordinates for the rock pile on the North South road bed and for where the creek channel and bridge intersect the east west road bed.   But you will not need a map for the east west road bed.   Just go to the boat ramp that is on the east side of the lake....as you are turning off the gravel road to turn into the boat ramp you are on what is now the underwater road bed, just look across the lake as you are driving down to the boat ramp and you can see where the road comes out of the water on the other side...it is a straight line across the lake.  follow that half way out there and you will see where everyone has been drilling.   I was the first one to break ice there on Christmas day and now it looks like a swiss cheese.   Stay in that area and put your time in and you will be fine.  

One thing I have noticed is that there has been a lot of trash being left behind...hopefully on accident due to the darkness and forgetfullness.

I will be there this evening, thats for sure!
The map I have is from 2001. Is yours newer then that? If you have used the GPS coordinates are they on or off. I have a map for Big Creek and I'm finding the GPS coordinates are not even close. Hope they are better for 12 mile.   

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:16 AM »
I bought a sportsman's atlas that came out last year around Christmas and I think it is updated through 2006.  It has GPS coordinates in it and also has fishing information for most of the lakes in Iowa.  $20

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:17 PM »
We spent the weekend fishing 12 and 3 Mile, did well on 12 Mile with the gills, few crappie, several bass, and some eyes.  Only one keeper eye.  We caught fish on 3 Mile too, crappie, gills, and some yellow bass.  It was a good weekend.  The fish really are healthy on 12 Mile.

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2009, 06:52 AM »
were the yellows on fire

how are they runnin size wize ? LOL

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2009, 01:25 PM »
You guys in that rea ar really lucky to have such great lakes closeby. My folks used to live in Creston and Dad and I had a ball at 12 and Green Valley a few times.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:03 PM »
i agree and there is a reason 30 years ago i called this home

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:28 PM »
We caught 5 yellows on 3 Mile and 2 were worth keeping, the other three were left on the ice.  Caught them between the two major boat ramps off the road.  We probably only fished an hour and half.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.