The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: bit  (Read 1462 times)

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
bit
« on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:39 PM »
hi everyone, didn't know if I could get some opinions, I already bought the Milwaukee brushless fuel kit, just having a hard time deciding what bit to get with the drill. ive looked at the k-drill, strikemaster and nils, I like the idea of having a nils or strike master incase the drill happens to die I can put the handle back on, but the k drill looks like it cuts nicely..
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: bit
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:51 PM »
hi everyone, didn't know if I could get some opinions, I already bought the Milwaukee brushless fuel kit, just having a hard time deciding what bit to get with the drill. ive looked at the k-drill, strikemaster and nils, I like the idea of having a nils or strike master incase the drill happens to die I can put the handle back on, but the k drill looks like it cuts nicely..

If you keep a look out you can find some good "deals" on some augers. About two years ago cabelas was having a sale on the nils hand augers. The 8in auger was on sale for $150 then I stacked a coupon of $25 off a $100 purchase. Then got free shipping for spending over $100. So the nils was $125 shipped to my door. Later on on Craigslist a guy was selling his nils power auger and had a spare 8in power point cutting head freshly sharpened by Frank Deluca.....I bought the cutting head for $40. Which was a great deal, and the power point works great to guide the auger cutting head when cutting holes in a wheel house.

Kdrill.......cheapest I ever found one in an 8in was $225. They tend to control the price on them and the supply to retailers so one never seems to find much for deals on the Kdrill.

Strikemaster hand augers......simply check out craigslist and you can pick up a used shaver or curved blade hand auger in good condition for $20 a lot of times. You might need to touch up the blades though.

If your torn and not sure what to do just get a used hand auger off craigslist for $20 to try it out. Then if you feel you need something better, you can wait and watch for a good deal and upgrade.....then sell the $20 hand auger you bought off craigslist on craigslist for $25.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:55 PM »
.               Those Milwaukee batteries are the best there are,I doubt they will die, but do what u want. Everyone is thinking the worst, I have yet to even come close to having a battery die !

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:03 PM »
I think I would go with the K Drill because of the blades alone. 

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:08 PM »
.               Those Milwaukee batteries are the best there are,I doubt they will die, but do what u want. Everyone is thinking the worst, I have yet to even come close to having a battery die !
I didn't mean the battery quits, I mean if I happen to run out of juice because I get carried away drilling hahaha
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:07 PM »
I think I would go with the K Drill because of the blades alone.

why do you feel the blades are better?

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:21 PM »
not so fragile to me

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:53 PM »
not so fragile to me

I've never had a blade break on any auger, and I've never had a shaver style blade that didn't make a season with the exception of a set of really cheap Chinese HT shaver blades.....they didn't last cutting a hole though...lol....Howeve r, I don't fish all season on lakes that have wind blown sand in the ice either....

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2017, 11:19 PM »
I've never had a blade break on any auger

X2... All my augers, (5) some 30 years old, still on the original blades..

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.