The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Old Model 30 Issues  (Read 1042 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
Old Model 30 Issues
« on: Mar 16, 2017, 02:31 PM »
So I have an old model 30 that I can't seem to get running properly. It seems like I will adjust the low side it will run well and as it warms up I have to adjust it again. Then with the new setting it will not restart from cold. My other question is: does the high side need to be adjusted under load?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Old Model 30 Issues
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:17 AM »
 When you adjust the low speed mixture, turn in till you get the highest idle, then turn back out till the idle drops.   If you leave that mixture it at the higher idle your too lean for cold starts.   If you've adjusted the idle speed via the stop screw you will probably need to adjust that as well.  Get those dialed in and then move onto the high speed mixture.    If you had three hands you could adjust the high speed under load.  For the high speed mixture you want to turn in till you hit the highest RPM then  turn out till that starts to drop.   Now test under load.  If your too rich you'll hear a bog, the RPMs won't climb,  the clutch won't lock in, and you might see or smell unburnt fuel. 
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Thanks Frank.

You did good work btw with my Nils awhile back.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:58 AM »
If you haven't replaced the diaphragm in the carb, I'd start there considering it is old and this is a common problem for this model, especially since the introduction of ethynol. If you have a few common tools and are somewhat mechanically inclined you could do it yourself. Clean out the carb while you're there. Check the needle seat also. Pretty sure there are tutorials on youtube. $13 for the kit, maybe half that for the diaphragm alone. If that diaphragm is damaged or clogged you will never get the proper adjustments out of the jets.
The other tip to offer is to run a quality synthetic 2-stroke oil. I rum Amsoil sabre pro 100:1. I mix it at ~ 70:1. The dino oils have to be mixed richer in oil, thus making for harder starts IMO.
It must be something in the water.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I got the auger a few years back for a good price non-running. I replaced the diaphragm a couple years ago and haven't messed with it again too much until now. Looks like fuel now is coming out of the base of the carb and exhaust. On a 4 stroke I would say it's a needle/seat issue or improper float height, not sure if it translates at all. I pulled the exhaust and the piston is alittle scored with scratches you might be able to feel. It still makes 115-120 psi with the compression test cold.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Pressure tested the fuel inlet and primer inlet just now. The primer inlet holds however the fuel line line side does not hold at all. I sprayed it down with soapy water but did not see exactly where it was leaking.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:08 AM »
   If fuel is leaking from the carb and into the crank more then likely you have something stuck in the fuel inlet valve(needle and seat) or the fuel level is too high.  The lever is the link to the needle and diaphragm that meters fuel into the carb.  If that lever too high it'll allow too much fuel to run into the carb.  Put a flat edge across the floor of the carb.  It should just touch the lever. 
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.