The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Old OPE auger with snapped throttle wire, convert to another style?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello!

I have an old (-83) OPE Magnum 3 plus auger, that the throttle wire snapped on, and I´m hard pressed to find a replacement here in sweden, and shipping from the US is ridiculous.

Has anyone converted one of these to use "regular" pull style throttle wire? I was thinking of fabbing something from bikewire or some such, and would like some tips/insights if you have any to offer.

// Hans, Sweden

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I broke my throttle body, and just mcgiverd the wire with zip ties,worked for that trip  ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Hey Hans, welcome to Ice Shanty. I've not engineered this specific fix but if your skills and imagination allow, give it a shot. I've created some (IMO) amazing repairs on the fly and and in the shop.

I've got three old, old and older Strikemasters (OPE) and have not had the broken throttle cable thing. I have, after replacing the toggle switch twice substituted a momentary contact for the kill switch on one. It's basically always closed, ready to start and kills the motor when depressed for a moment. Had to replace a leaky gas tank on another. Tried to repair a couple of ways but neither one worked.

Good luck with your fix. If you get it to work well we'd appreciate some details here for future reference.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Hans, welcome to Ice Shanty. I've not engineered this specific fix but if your skills and imagination allow, give it a shot. I've created some (IMO) amazing repairs on the fly and and in the shop.

I've got three old, old and older Strikemasters (OPE) and have not had the broken throttle cable thing. I have, after replacing the toggle switch twice substituted a momentary contact for the kill switch on one. It's basically always closed, ready to start and kills the motor when depressed for a moment. Had to replace a leaky gas tank on another. Tried to repair a couple of ways but neither one worked.

Good luck with your fix. If you get it to work well we'd appreciate some details here for future reference.

Thanks for the welcome and for replying.

I have an idea for a fix, using the original wire cover, a mono-strand bikewire, and a spring for throttle return, however, this would render the govenor useless, and I don´t know if that would be an issue or not.

Guess I´ll have to try and see how it works. I need this auger to work, as its the only auger I have that makes a large enough hole for the northern pikes I target from time to time.

Regards

Hans

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
You'll probably get it to work just fine. As far as the governor goes it's really there to protect the engine from over-revving when it's not under load. If you make sure it's on the ice before you hit the throttle hard you should be fine.

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
I got it working again today. I used some stuff I had lying around, a small pull-spring, a piece of electric wire, a choke-wire from a scrapped snowmobile, and the old wire-casing. Working like a charm, but looks a bit "red-neckisch", not that I mind as long as it works, I like simple solutions and prefer function to looks.

I´ll get some pics up tomorrow.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Excellent Hans!

I've done more than my share of "jimmy rigging" in my time. It can't always be perfect, sometimes quick and dirty is to only game...

I just got an old RCBS vibratory tumbler/case cleaner at an auction for almost nothing. The rubber bushings were shot. I mean completely dried out crumbling toast. RCBS has no parts availability and a quick search turned up nothing. On casual inspection it looked to me like some generic rubber well nuts could work. $13 and 10 new well nuts later, the unit is like new. That and it actually looks like new too... :thumbsup:

Offline Stormcrow313

• IceShanty Rookie
I almost forgot the pics, but here they are. I used the hole for the govenor spring for both the wire and the return spring. The spring is tied with electrical wire so I could change how hard it pulls.

Nice find and fix on that case tumbler!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.