The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Electric Augers  (Read 8043 times)

Offline Lake Crawler

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric Augers
« on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:02 PM »
has anyone heard anything good about the ion auger?

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
Re: Electric Augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:07 PM »
Love mine with 8"  with the 10" it's little under powered when over foot of ice. It's 3 years old with reverse.   We tested how many holes 2 years ago on 18" of ice did 48 holes and still had 1 bar on the battery at end of day
Just enjoying life

Offline Growler_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:23 PM »
Just got an Ion, only used it once. I absolutely love it. WAY better than my strikemaster.

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:57 PM »
3rd year owning my ION, broke a blade last year and called them up and they sent out replacements pronto free of charge. Also have never had an issue where I read you need to keep the battery warm for good performance. On the coldest days it worked great.

:thumbsup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline Tanimal85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Love it.  Especially the reverse.  Cleans the holes right out.  No scooping required.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to ice fish and he'll sit on the ice and drink beer all weekend.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:45 AM »
Love mine, so far, after 3 years I have not come close to draining the battery, and I've tried!
Tony

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:53 AM »
I hear nothing but good things about the ion and it comes with an extension gotta love that

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:58 AM »
My Ion is arguably the best piece of gear I own. I'm into my 3rd year and it has never let me down. Drilled 3 days worthof holes for 2 guys and still had full bars of charge. Get one.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:32 AM »
has anyone heard anything good about the ion auger?
Sent you a PM
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline jobek75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:36 AM »
Owned the ION for three years. Awesome. Bought the extra battery, only had to use it once.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:00 AM »
none better, never going to gas again !

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I bought one of the original Ice Gators....prolly 10 yrs ago at least. Only complaint is the weight. Weighs in at 29 lbs. What does the Ion weigh in at?

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:53 PM »
According to the add I just read, 22lbs.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:54 PM »
I have a strikemaster.  Electric is the way to go, doesn't seem to bother the fish much.  Have watched the perch scatter when the guy next to us starts prospecting with his gas auger.  Have put holes between the ones were fishing and they hardly move.  They are heavy, but the battery last quite a while, and are easy to use. 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:57 PM »
Everyone with an ion is going to say it's the best thing on earth because they spent 5-600 bucks on one. Deep down inside they wish they could just add gas to it lol

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Not quite full throttle.       I was a gas auger guy.     My buddy has a ion.         Broke down and got one this year and it's a other better then the gas ones especially fishing early or late during the day.     I fish close to homes and it being so quiet is great.     Be respectfully to the people who own the homes of. The lake
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:10 PM »
3rd yr. for mine. no smell and its lite.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:10 PM »
You must of had an old one . New ones are only a couple pounds more than an ion and not loud at all. And drill a lot more holes in a lot more ice . No louder than my atv

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Everyone with an ion is going to say it's the best thing on earth because they spent 5-600 bucks on one. Deep down inside they wish they could just add gas to it lol

Nope just sold a brand new clam and my 3 year old strike master after I used my ion for fequipment years never need the has any more with an 8"   
Just enjoying life

Offline cnyiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:52 AM »
Gander Mountain has the 6" on clearance for $449 plus another 25% off clearance. Ends up $336. I bought one at that price minus some reward money I have from their card. The price was in store only and not the 8". But 6 will work fine for my needs.

sunniewally

« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:05 AM »
gas augers suck, mine sits in the garage the last  3 years collecting dust. love my ion!

Fishmon

« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:34 AM »
Electric is way to go now and even more so in future.  Batteries are getting better and better.  I use a cordless Milwaukee M-18 drill with my Fin-Bore and Nils augers that I had owned for 10-15 years.  Works great, quiet, and super light.  Never had to break out spare battery yet.  Buy an extension for the Fin-Bore or you will get tired bending over.  LOL. Drilled at least 30 holes yesterday and still had 3 out of 4 bars left on battery.  Turning into Mr. Swiss cheese!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:41 AM »
 I have a 2 year old propane and like it better than mixed. Kind of wished I bought the ion. I think I will get the clam plate next year lately we haven't had enough ice to justify lugging that thing.

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:13 AM »
I have an older StrikeMaster electric auger. I love it. I think I needca new battery of at least a back up battery. I can only drill through about 10ft of ice before the battery us dead. Has been fine though since I'm a tip up guy and only drill 7 holes per day. I will def get a second battery for next year.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:37 AM »
I'm a Clam Plate fan. If you already have a hand auger, buy the plate and a good brushless drill, I have the Milwaukee 2704 and love it. The setup is really lightweight and cuts holes easily. We cut 40 holes a couple of weeks ago in 12" of ice with an 8" Fin Bore auger and I still had 3 out 4 bars left on my battery life indicator.
You should be able to get the plate and drill for around $325.00. Make sure you get a good brushless drill with a high torque rating and 5 amp batteries. I would also recommend the Clam Plate extension, checkout Fish 307, they are great guys to deal with and ship really fast.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:15 PM »
wrong...I Own 3 Gas augers...The ION Is A Great Tool THAT Makes Gas Augers obsolete..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline cnyiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2017, 05:25 PM »
The ION is my first power auger. I spend most of my time punching holes for pan fish with a 4" Lazer hand auger. Never felt a need for anything bigger.  I've pulled up to 12" bluegill, 17" Perch, and several 18" LM bass thru the hole. I only have $296 in the 6" ION. $336 minus $40 in rewards. Think it will be plenty big for anything I am likely to catch.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Upgraded from a 30yr old Jiffy 30 auger this year (its a tank) to the new ION X. First time I used it with the 8" bit, is was great. It punched a hole almost as fast as the Jiffy with just over half of the weight (it was about 30F that day). Next time I used it, it was about 5F and the 8" bit would have so much ice build up you couldn't punch more than 1 hole with chipping the ice off. Turns out this was a common problem on the ION X 8" bits, after a call to them, they sent out a new 8" bit to me (and everyone else that had this issue that I have seen on the internet). The issue is fixed, it works great and wouldn't trade it for any gas auger.

FYI - while I was without a bit for a few days to due shipping of the new one, my 6" lazer fits on the extension for the ION - also works great

I used the 8" bit this weekend and punched 25 holes thru 12 to 15" of ice and it still says full charge

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2017, 02:46 AM »
gas augers suck, mine sits in the garage the last  3 years collecting dust. love my ion!

I Own 3 Gas augers...The ION Is A Great Tool THAT Makes Gas Augers obsolete..

^^^^^^^^^^ YES & YES ^^^^^^^^^^

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:12 AM »
Never have used an Ion myself. We did a speed test between a brand new 8" Ion X and my 8" K Drill. The K Drill drills close to two holes to every one the Ion X can. I have nothing against the Ion augers but I like my K Drill better. Its twice as fast at half the weight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.