The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Icegator....  (Read 4175 times)

Offline sidt87

• IceShanty Rookie
Icegator....
« on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:53 AM »
Second year (2016) of my 42v Annihilator and my battery takes a crap. Open the battery case and this is what I found, a battery that says 20v 4400mAh **censored**? Is this right? I'm no battery expert but shouldn't it say 42v or at least have two 20v batteries taped together ?(which it doesn't appear so).

Anyone know where I can get a replacement battery since the company went out of business? Thanks.

Offline KingfisherMM

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Icegator....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2016, 01:21 AM »
Hi sidt87,
You may have 2) 20 "ish" volt batteries wired in series internally. (Lithium ion batteries are approximately 3.7 volts per cell.)
Are they cylindrical cells or do the look like pouch cells? if you could post a picture or two I may be able to help.
Also have you taken a voltage test to determine the open circuit voltage of the battery? Are you sure the charger is working?
Unless something drastic happened to a cell(s), that battery pack should be able to cycle thousands of times and there is no way you used it that many times in 2 ice fishing seasons (full charge to full discharge and back to full charge is a cycle)
Anyway with more info I'll try to help.
Mark

Offline sidt87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:06 AM »
It appears to be one solid shrink wrapped pack. I've tested the charger on my older 24v li-ion Icegator and it charges and the motor also works when I tested with the older battery. Oh you may ask why I'm not using the 24v, well it's because the trigger and wiring is all screwed up and gotta fix that too..

[/URL]

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:14 PM »
the picture doesn't lie.
maybe that's why they are gone!
the good news is 18 volts is close enough to run that motor so you could use your drill batteries.
i'll take a look around to see what the web has to offer for ya.

KingfisherMM, thanks for joining us just to try to help!

update:
hows 25$ sound?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-Battery-Pack-20V-4400mAh-88WH-Rechargeable-/282104635649?rmvSB=true

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:42 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)[/URL]

Wow, I heard some folks got ripped off the 42V annihilator, but now it looks like everyone did...

I'd be pretty pissed...

<°)))>{

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:36 PM »
I'm not surprised at all. 

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I opened up both units, 20 volt batteries in each pack. How does that work you are only getting half the volts which I don't understand electricity at all but shouldn't it be 42 and 42 only to work.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Are you say there are two 20 volt batteries in each auger? If they are then they are two 20 volt batteries, put in series, to get you 40 volts...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Even after the company is gone people are still finding ways that they were getting a screwed........Sad deal.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:05 AM »
update it is in fact 42 volt coming from the power pack I connected it to a tester to see and it show 41.7 volts on both batteries

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:18 AM »
update it is in fact 42 volt coming from the power pack I connected it to a tester to see and it show 41.7 volts on both batteries

That's at least good...

<°)))>{

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:21 AM »
lol yeah it would of really sucked if it was true because I bought my last one right from nilsmaster. Happy new year all. Batteries were only good for one year anyways so it is what it is.

Offline dazhou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2017, 08:09 PM »
It is not true. The battery manufacturer had to put a label with smaller specification on the battery pack, because the shipping company won't accept the battery products for international shipping if the total power is more than 100 watt. On the label the power is 20 x 4.4 Ah (4400 mAh) = 88 Watt, which is within 100 watt.

The 42 volt battery has ten 3.7 v cells and the summit volt is 42 volt. The Icegator had no plans in business, but they did not cheat on the battery.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2017, 06:42 AM »
It is not true. The battery manufacturer had to put a label with smaller specification on the battery pack, because the shipping company won't accept the battery products for international shipping if the total power is more than 100 watt. On the label the power is 20 x 4.4 Ah (4400 mAh) = 88 Watt, which is within 100 watt.

The 42 volt battery has ten 3.7 v cells and the summit volt is 42 volt. The Icegator had no plans in business, but they did not cheat on the battery.

Well it is good that they didn't cheat on the battery. Maybe they would still be around if they didn't cheat the customer.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2017, 03:37 PM »
 i guess that's why they were always in church instead of running a business.  a whole lotta repentin' to do!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:58 PM »
i guess that's why they were always in church instead of running a business.  a whole lotta repentin' to do!

Yeah....I know some guys really liked the product when it worked, and hoped someone would buy it and run the business right. However, with all the electric options with clam plates, Ion, strikemaster, and Redback I don't see anyone messing with the ice gator.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2017, 09:40 AM »
I would love to get my hands on the shop schematic drawings to rebuild my own when something wears out. Or to make new ones someday when the patent expires you will see the gator again especially the auger bit.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2017, 12:57 PM »
You got one - it's not complicated.  Reverse engineer it.  All the parts/components are off the shelves of Greg's suppliers.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 24, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Years ago when I had to fix my own, first season  purchased, I tore it apart  and could not believe how much I paid for something so simple.  Pretty  sure you could get everything you'd  need off eBay minus the cheap plastic casing.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Aug 24, 2017, 06:06 PM »
if you reverse engineer it and build your own use good parts or you will end up with a big pos boat anchor.lol.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 24, 2017, 06:08 PM »
if you reverse engineer it and build your own use good parts or you will end up with a big pos boat anchor.lol.

Sounds like plenty of ice gator power head are in that camp already.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #21 on: Aug 24, 2017, 06:59 PM »
The parts are simple and very adequate.  Proper use and care go a long ways.  My original IceGator is going on 8 years old (not even a battery has gone bad).  The LIon battery pack is still going after 5 years.  I have switched to the Milwalkie M30 for the sake of weight and am very impressed with the performance of that platformas well.  Hope to get just a few more years in the ice. @) ;D
You guys that have not owned an IceGator really don't get it!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:50 PM »
The parts are simple and very adequate.  Proper use and care go a long ways.  My original IceGator is going on 8 years old (not even a battery has gone bad).  The LIon battery pack is still going after 5 years.  I have switched to the Milwalkie M30 for the sake of weight and am very impressed with the performance of that platformas well.  Hope to get just a few more years in the ice. @) ;D
You guys that have not owned an IceGator really don't get it!

Oh I get it. You bought some gear years ago it worked well for you and you fell in love with it. You've had many an outing with it. It is no longer made and you want to keep it going, because you take care of your stuff and don't want to throw it out. It's like a guy and that old car you had when young you just can't get rid of.

Am I somewhat close?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2017, 04:14 AM »
Oh I get it. You bought some gear years ago it worked well for you and you fell in love with it. You've had many an outing with it. It is no longer made and you want to keep it going, because you take care of your stuff and don't want to throw it out. It's like a guy and that old car you had when young you just can't get rid of.

Am I somewhat close?

RIGHT ON!  That's why I still have that car from 1968.  :-\ 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2017, 06:48 PM »
RIGHT ON!  That's why I still have that car from 1968.  :-\

Everything becomes a classic if you keep it long enough. lol 😎

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #25 on: Aug 26, 2017, 05:01 AM »