The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: clam plate 8 inch gear box recall  (Read 24747 times)

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
clam plate 8 inch gear box recall
« on: Dec 15, 2016, 05:26 PM »
i was in knutsons today and they told me that clam was recalling the clam plates with the gearbox and the gearbox kits due to reports of the plastic gear shredding

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: clam plate 8 inch gear box recall
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:11 PM »
before this gets out of hand I would like to post this :

As one of Clams pro staff members I have been asked by Clam to come in here and set the record straight as to what is going on with the gear box recall. the issue at hand is not the Clam auger plate it self but the gear boxes that just came out this year. they have identified about 200 gear boxes that had bad gears in them and there has been a issue with the gears breaking as they are a powdered metal gear and not a cut gear. Clam has issued a recall to all retailers to get the gear boxes back and once they are all back Clam will be releasing a replacement gear box that will have cut gears instead of the powder metal gears.

here is the official statement from Clam :

The facts are as follows:

We’ve identified an issue with a defective gear in some of the gear boxes that attach to the Clam auger conversion plate.  There is NO issue with any of the conversion drill plates themselves, and this is NOT a safety concern.  The issue is specific only to gear boxes shipped over the past 60 days.  To be sure all gear boxes sold are in perfect working condition, Clam has asked retailers to return to Clam the gear boxes as well as the conversion kit that includes an 8” auger and a gear box.  Clam will be replacing the gear boxes and getting the units back out to stores over the next two weeks.  Anyone who has a gear box in their possession that fails (we believe there are approximately 200 in consumers hands that may be defective) should call Clam.  You will be shipped a replacement gear box within the next couple of weeks along with a return slip so you can return your defective unit.  Any questions please call 1-800-ice-fish or email us at [email protected].

so if you happen to have one of the gear boxes please get ahold of Clam customer service and they will take care of you.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:27 PM »
I have a gear box, I'll have to call tomorrow..

This blows, but as long as they make it right, and soon..

<°)))>{

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:32 PM »
I just took my gear box back to day right to them and they said the replacement new ones should be here in like 2 to 3 weeks. there are others on the pro staff with me that bought the gear box too and will be having to send them back. so the 200 possible bad units include those that even the pro staff have. so this just doesn't effect the public but staff too.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:33 PM »
That's pretty good service if they can get back up and running quickly . I would still like to see one of these boxes in real world conditions .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:34 PM »
i was in knutsons today and they told me that clam was recalling the clam plates with the gearbox and the gearbox kits due to reports of the plastic gear shredding

just clarify they don't use plastic gears they were powder metal gears in these. and they are not handling the torque put on them and are breaking one of the gears inside.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:50 PM »
So let me get this straight. If I just bought a Clam plate in the last 30 days at Bass Pro in Utica, New York  I would be OKAY??? No conversion box at all?? Because I tried my drill on the Clam Plate and it turn at the same revolutions as drill and plate.
      Kim    :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:50 PM »
So let me get this straight. If I just bought a Clam plate in the last 30 days at Bass Pro in Utica, New York  I would be OKAY??? No conversion box at all?? Because I tried my drill on the Clam Plate and it turn at the same revolutions as drill and plate.
      Kim    :tipup:

Yes.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:53 PM »
Okay, Thanks. Have Fuel drill mounted on plate. Looks good on You Tube so if I need extra gearing then the good stuff will be out there to purchase.
     Kim
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:48 PM »
Thanks for posting this and the heads up.  I just bought the gear box from Reeds a couple of weeks ago.  I guess I need to call Clam and see about returning it. If I understand it correctly all the gear boxes that currently exist are defective.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:29 AM »
Thanks for posting this and the heads up.  I just bought the gear box from Reeds a couple of weeks ago.  I guess I need to call Clam and see about returning it. If I understand it correctly all the gear boxes that currently exist are defective.

possible all but right now Clam has is estimated at around 200 gear boxes. the issue is the powder metal gears inside snapping. it may happen it may not but Clam has chose to recall all them back and replace them with a gear box that uses cut metal gears and not formed powder metal gears.  once you contact Clam they will set up a warranty claim for you and will then send you a shipping label to send the possible defective gear box back and then once the new ones get here in two to three weeks they will start shipping the new replacements out to people. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2016, 09:02 AM »
it may happen it may not but Clam...

Happened within four seconds of using it...

Junk...

I've tried emailing them and have heard nothing...

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2016, 09:58 AM »
knutsons is the best!

i wish clam would hire people to field test their stuff. when one shatters in less than 4 inches, it tells the story behind the company.  also, the connection shaft to the drill is twisting out for some creating major wobble.
any time i had a claim they would ship the same shoty product. you get tiered of going with out after a while and have to move onto a better brand.
i used to buy their products years ago.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=336670.msg3575744#msg3575744

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2016, 10:04 AM »
I almost pulled the trigger a while back on the gear box ...was going to retro fit it to my Gen 2 Plate ...think I will wait till end of season to get some real world reviews ...plan B would be the K-Drill unit or a StrikeMaster Lithium Lazer .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Man, mine cut awesome, for two or three seconds.. Then the gears shattered..

Talked to Clam today, they are waiting to reply to emails about the gear box until they have a good solid answer...

I guess I'm running a 6" today..

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2016, 10:28 AM »
I almost pulled the trigger a while back on the gear box ...was going to retro fit it to my Gen 2 Plate ...think I will wait till end of season to get some real world reviews ...plan B would be the K-Drill unit or a StrikeMaster Lithium Lazer .
didn't strike master also have major issues? i'm thinking they also had recalls.
the k-drill lifetime blades sound appealing. sounds like ridgid tools to me. i know i wouldn't put a milwaukee drill on top of it unless i was already stuck owning one.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2016, 10:50 AM »
StrikeMaster had a switch problem ...but recalled all and refunded last season ...for a while you could get the reconditioned units for reasonable pricing in the spring ..but think they are all gone in the market ..this year they added both Lazer and Chipper style blades in 10 in and 8 in . Also on the switch issue think it was a bad batch so some faile while other did not .

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2016, 11:25 AM »
thanks!

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:32 PM »
One would think that Clam Corp and the rest would try and put the best stuff out there regardless. I hear people that have met Dave and say " he is a really nice guy". The problem I'm having is that they are putting profits WAY OVER THE REASONABLE ALLOWANCE!!!! Yes this is America but how much is enough?? Some really nice things out there but let the buyer beware...

Kim :tipup: :icefish: :cookoo:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:10 AM »
before this gets out of hand I would like to post this :

As one of Clams pro staff members I have been asked by Clam to come in here and set the record straight as to what is going on with the gear box recall. the issue at hand is not the Clam auger plate it self but the gear boxes that just came out this year. they have identified about 200 gear boxes that had bad gears in them and there has been a issue with the gears breaking as they are a powdered metal gear and not a cut gear. Clam has issued a recall to all retailers to get the gear boxes back and once they are all back Clam will be releasing a replacement gear box that will have cut gears instead of the powder metal gears.

here is the official statement from Clam :

The facts are as follows:

We’ve identified an issue with a defective gear in some of the gear boxes that attach to the Clam auger conversion plate.  There is NO issue with any of the conversion drill plates themselves, and this is NOT a safety concern.  The issue is specific only to gear boxes shipped over the past 60 days.  To be sure all gear boxes sold are in perfect working condition, Clam has asked retailers to return to Clam the gear boxes as well as the conversion kit that includes an 8” auger and a gear box.  Clam will be replacing the gear boxes and getting the units back out to stores over the next two weeks.  Anyone who has a gear box in their possession that fails (we believe there are approximately 200 in consumers hands that may be defective) should call Clam.  You will be shipped a replacement gear box within the next couple of weeks along with a return slip so you can return your defective unit.  Any questions please call 1-800-ice-fish or email us at [email protected].

so if you happen to have one of the gear boxes please get ahold of Clam customer service and they will take care of you.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I was wondering............. ...................... .............does the latest version of the Clam Plate have the gear reducer built into it? or do you still need to buy the (external) gear box?  ???
Where's the FISH?!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:23 AM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but I was wondering............. ...................... .............does the latest version of the Clam Plate have the gear reducer built into it? or do you still need to buy the (external) gear box?  ???

Clam sells it two was ...gear box itself which you attach to attach to your existing  Clam Plate Gen 4 ...or as a kit with Clam plate, Gear box and 8" auger drill unit ....just add your drill

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:44 AM »
Oh, so you have to buy the Clam Plate and the gearbox even if you get the latest version clam plate? (or buy the kit) But either way you are looking at $140+? 
Where's the FISH?!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Oh, so you have to buy the Clam Plate and the gearbox even if you get the latest version clam plate? (or buy the kit) But either way you are looking at $140+?

Yes ...I was think about retro fitting my Gen 2 plate with a gear box ...then this thread popped up ..so I will wait and see what Clam response and how others feel about the add on .

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:52 AM »
OK- thanks. Think maybe I will wait and see if they incorporate it into the next generation. I don't think I want to have to buy the plate and the gearbox.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:41 AM »
Happened within four seconds of using it...

Junk...

I've tried emailing them and have heard nothing...

<°)))>{

Still no reply to my email!

Time is money, my money!

<°)))>{

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:00 PM »
Added the gearbox to my clam plate Christmas morning, went out with the guys the next mornin. we left the jiffy in the truck walked a good ways out. my buddy grabs the clam and before we made two holes she died. i was using the 6" auger the clam plate came with. have an email out to clam with no word back yet. the ice was maybe 5"

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2016, 04:58 PM »
My first email was sent to...

[email protected]

I also sent one earlier today, asking please reply...

Still no reply..

So what email should I use?

This one isn't working.. [email protected]

200 gearboxes can't be delaying a proper professional reply saying we got your email and will be contacting you as soon as possible could it?

Did Clam merge with Ice Gator or something?

Sheesh!

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:32 PM »
So what email should I use?
Did Clam merge with Ice Gator or something?
Sheesh!
Ouch!
here is what i found

CONTACT US
Clam Outdoors
12135 Brockton Lane N.
Rogers, MN 55369
Phone: 1-800-ICE-FISH
Fax: 763-231-4121
Email: [email protected]
Service Hours: Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm CST
Will Call Pick-up: Monday – Friday 9am – 4pm CST
http://clamoutdoors.com/pages/contact-us

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:46 PM »
I did call them, I was told to email all the info to them at the same address 3300 posted..

Friday will be two weeks, with no reply.. I actually called them again last week, and was told I would see a reply yesterday (Monday)...

I've checked my junk mail too..

It bothers me that I have no way of knowing they have received my information or even are working with me on this..

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.