The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fake maggots  (Read 952 times)

Offline choques 53

• IceShanty Rookie
Fake maggots
« on: Nov 21, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Last year early in the season I bought a jar of fake maggots because live ones were not available yet. By the time I went live ones were available. So I still have an unopened jar of fake maggots. Curious if anybody uses them and what your opinions are. Are they worth trying or would I be wasting my time.

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fake maggots
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2020, 02:12 PM »
I have had days for trout where they work better but don't like to deadstick them unless the fish are fresh stocked. Generally one on each hook of the treble on your favorite spoon or on the treble of a jigging rap.
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Yeah I have a whole bunch of them. Green, pink, white. In my experience (mostly trout and perch), they work, especially for getting fish to take a look at the jig or spoon, but in a much more limited capacity. For maggots and waxies, nothing replaces the real thing, but they will catch fish if you work with them.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2020, 04:42 PM »
I use them on the hooks of my spoons, one on each treble, then usually have a small dropper below that with the real thing, catch fish on both of them.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2020, 05:51 PM »
Always seemed to me that fake maggots would catch fake fish. Never tried them, but that’s the reason.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:56 PM »
I tried them for Kokanee in an attempt to keep from having to re-bait in a hurry when the school was there but I don’t think I ever got a bite even when I put a real one on and then a fake one behind it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Always seemed to me that fake maggots would catch fake fish. Never tried them, but that’s the reason.
I had some freeze dried maggots and I didn't catch freeze dried fish or any other kind of fish now that I think about it. :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.