Author Topic: Users of Jigging Raps Opinions  (Read 1036 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Users of Jigging Raps Opinions
« on: Sep 29, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Just got done reading an article about the Rapala jigging rap. I have used this lure for many years . I have caught multiple species on it. On all different sizes of them. But one thing made me doubt the truthfulness of the writer. He stated that since most fish take the bait head on the underbelly treble hook is useless.

For the life of me I cannot remember ever catching anything on either of the end hooks. To my memory every fish I have caught on them has been on the belly treble. Now it would be impossible for me to catch on the ends as I have cut all the hooks off both ends. Until I did this those end hooks cost me fish. As one always seemed to catch edge of hole at the worst possible moment. Bigger and more prized the fish the more likely it would happen. Not every single time but often enough to be extremely annoying. By the way cutting off the end hooks has not affected by strike to hook up ratio what so ever.

Has any one ever had luck with the end hooks on these lures ?
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Users of Jigging Raps Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2017, 02:58 PM »
I'll begin with your last question: No.

The belly-dropper covers the single opinion.      ;)2

:icefish:

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2017, 03:00 PM »
I prefer spoons to jigging raps so I am no expert here, but on the bay for whitefish we use strictly jigging raps and we actually do the opposite of you out there. We remove the treble at the bottom and leave the end hooks. However, the reason for this isn't because of how the whitefish hit, but since we pound the bottom so much, the bottom hook tends to hook into zebra muscles and rocks. So removing it decreases how often we have to reel up 50+ feet to take off whatever it hooked into.

I can't say we catch more fish because of how they are hitting, the only reason we catch more fish this way is because there is more time in the water.
Da Pack!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Whew!  So far ~ no zebra muscles.      :thumbsup:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2017, 10:49 AM »
I always remove the front hook.  99% of my fish are hooked on the treble.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2017, 11:04 AM »
they catch fish but I dont like them for the fact that they hook the edge of the ice at exactly the wrong time and as soon as they do that fish is gone but I like Slayers idea:) Hey Slayer you notice less hook ups with the end hooks gone?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2017, 08:29 AM »
they catch fish but I dont like them for the fact that they hook the edge of the ice at exactly the wrong time and as soon as they do that fish is gone but I like Slayers idea:) Hey Slayer you notice less hook ups with the end hooks gone?

None.
 But I only remove the front hook. The rear hook is needed for open water dragging.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I've caught fish on all of them, but I would have to say I have lost maybe twice as many fish because of the nose hook catching the bottom of the ice than I have caught fish on it. I always have a minnowhead on the treble hook so that is where the majority of the fish are hooked by. The rear hook seems to catch the fewest fish, but also seems less troublesome for catching the bottom of the ice for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.