Author Topic: PORT OF INDIANA  (Read 1783 times)

Offline mjduz

• IceShanty Rookie
PORT OF INDIANA
« on: Feb 13, 2009, 03:12 PM »
THERE ARE ABOUT 10 PPL AT THE PORT TODAY, YESTERDAY THERE WAS ONLY ONE. LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE STARTING TO CATCH FISH .{BROWNS AND COHO} ALSO  THE NEW LAKE FRONT PARK AT THE MOUTH OF BURNS DITCH IS A HOT SPOT AS SOON AS THE ICE GOES OUT. CANT SEE THAT FROM WHERE I WORK , BUT WE ALWAYS DO GOOD THERE EARLY. { ICE IS OUT}!!!

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
Re: PORT OF INDIANA
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2009, 04:48 PM »
MJ...I,m gettin some reports from the ditch from a few buddies, an occasional bite. It definitely wont be long. Hopefully north winds wont blow any ice back in, its my understanding too, that its navigable thru the ditch now.  8)

Offline coho33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2009, 06:43 PM »
I was out at the port on tuesday with no luck. There was one other guy he also had no luck. We need some good south winds and then they will be piled in there, can't wait!!! Going to try again saturday mouring, will report back.
HERE FISHY, FISHY

Offline Ded Dux

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2009, 09:11 PM »
MJ...I,m gettin some reports from the ditch from a few buddies, an occasional bite. It definitely wont be long. Hopefully north winds wont blow any ice back in, its my understanding too, that its navigable thru the ditch now.  8)

Is there enough open water to get to the Gary light? I am ready!

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2009, 07:28 AM »
Derslayer1 do you ever go for the smallies or get into the walleye? Were gonna try to concentrate on finding and getting into some walleye this year, have heard good reports on large fish (walleye guy here) being caught. Gonna try for a few outings with multiple boats if anyone else is interested.
Tom   ;D
Tom

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2009, 07:42 AM »
I,ve caught some nice smallies around the break walls. I used to work at Ma beth, and every february the eyes would come into the pea gravel off the steel at bethlehems warm water discharge. In the evenings, we,d take black and gold countdowns, cast from shore into the boulders/pea gravel, and slow roll it back. I,ve never taken a double digit eye there, but many 7,8,9 lbers. I,ve seen some double digits come out, my cousin has a 12 lber mounted doing exactly that. We all know the record was broke with a 15 lb eye, but the guy was honest and stated he caught it inside the port breakwalls. The reef just outside the port walls holds some big eyes come spawn time. The problem is getting the correct wind allowing me to get on them with my smaller boat. Trollin for the cohos, I,ve hung into some nice eyes, (unexpectedly). The state record of 14.4 is shared by the tippy (lake freeman) and the KKK, but I believe it will be broke on lake michigan. Just a matter of time... Gimme a holler when you go Tom, more boats figgering out the pattern, the better.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Wallin, I'll go if I have gas $$. Won't be on this site nuch longer. Steve

Offline jimmycrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • live is good on the ice
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2009, 02:02 PM »
slayer where did you work at in bethlhem. im at the 80". been there since 98

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2009, 03:07 PM »
I know a whole fishing club that wants in on this action-all the way from Indy as well. We'll set it up.
the more the better.
Tom
Tom

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2009, 04:02 PM »
I,ve caught some nice smallies around the break walls. I used to work at Ma beth, and every february the eyes would come into the pea gravel off the steel at bethlehems warm water discharge. In the evenings, we,d take black and gold countdowns, cast from shore into the boulders/pea gravel, and slow roll it back. I,ve never taken a double digit eye there, but many 7,8,9 lbers. I,ve seen some double digits come out, my cousin has a 12 lber mounted doing exactly that. We all know the record was broke with a 15 lb eye, but the guy was honest and stated he caught it inside the port breakwalls. The reef just outside the port walls holds some big eyes come spawn time. The problem is getting the correct wind allowing me to get on them with my smaller boat. Trollin for the cohos, I,ve hung into some nice eyes, (unexpectedly). The state record of 14.4 is shared by the tippy (lake freeman) and the KKK, but I believe it will be broke on lake michigan. Just a matter of time... Gimme a holler when you go Tom, more boats figgering out the pattern, the better.
SURPRISE, I TOO HAVE CAUGHT WALLEYE WHEN CASTING FOR COHOS AT THE DISCHARGE AT BETHELEM STEEL. MINE WERE JUST EATER SIZE BUT TASTED OH SOOOOO GOOOOD........

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2009, 11:05 PM »
How far is the Port of Indiana from fort wayne ????     Does it have pier access to fish from somewhere??? I used to live near chitown and had all the spots out that way.. any info appreciated.  thanx    Jim       We need to get a non smelt outing going, then we just might catch one..... ;D
Jim

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:34 AM »
Its 2 minutes past(north) of The Bass Pro Shop off of 249 and 94. I was there yesterday-looked open but no boats out.Went to bass pro for dinner and a new St Croix rod-lol
Tom
Tom

Offline SHRIMPO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2009, 01:10 PM »
LOVE THE CROIXS AND THE LOOMIS RODS BUT I BOUGHT A BROWNING SIX RIVERS ROD LAST YEAR FOR $60 AND  IT IS NICE FOR THE PRICE. ALSO WAS AT WALMART AND THEY HAD 3/4oz. CLEOS FOR 2.50 AND I CLEANED THEM OUT.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Gander has all there ice fishing-50% off, hit it yesterday also-they still got some power augers !!!!!!
Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.