Author Topic: Delta March 15th  (Read 3614 times)

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
Delta March 15th
« on: Mar 15, 2005, 09:40 PM »
Well after having a great day at delta on Monday it was time to try it again today. Will little reel get his revenge today I thought. He has been on a tear this winter and yesterday was one of the few times that I actually kicked his butt. Well as we were heading down the highway listening to the Ford hum ::) ::)a weather report came in stating that Virden was getting hit hard by a winter storm and it was heading towards Minnedosa. Well I had no choice but to put the petal to the metal and get to Delta even faster ;D ;D ;D. Upon pulling up to delta and seeing the usual 100 + deer it was time to unload our gear. Oh man now we have a wind to face. Yesterday we were spoiled. I offered to pull the sleigh but that little reel wanted to make it two days in a row. Picture this little reel at barely 5"2 and Bw at 6"4 and who's pulling the sleigh. man can this guy work. Again he pulled this sleigh with all our gear 70+ lbs out for a 45 minute walk. We were way out there. Well BW being the genius he is about 5 minutes into our trek remendered that he forgot the minnows in the truck. I did not even want to look into the little guy's eyes I just turned around and ran back to the truck. Yes that's right I ran back. The gym is paying off ;) ;)  Well after drilling our holes it was time to drop my line in. Before little reel could get his gear in place I had pulled up 9 perch once again in the 9-11 inch range. It was going to be a good day. Well hurricane Andrew decided to pay a visit. It was now time to build a snow wall. My kids would of been proud. Especially when the darn thing collapsed :'( :'( Time to rebuild but wait little reel is now pulling them in left and right. Well I built the wall in one hell of a hurry and got back to some great fishing. The wall really helped and my heater "12,000 btu" kept me nice and cozy.  later in our perch massacre things got really quite well of a sudden my rod dips hard but no movement just dead weight. Then the typical so line racing off my reel. It was burbot time. Just when I get ready to play with Nessie it comes off  :'( :'( :'(. Things are still quiet with each of us catching a couple more eaters when I look over and see Little reel rod almost come out of his hands. Nessie is back with revenge. man is he fighting this thing when I am just about to tell him to let it run and relax on the drag snap their goes his line and his favorite lure. Is that grump yelling in Neepawa " get off get off" I hear ;D ;D  Well little reel was upset but he laughed it off. A few minutes later Nessie is back I think on my line. Well after a couple of minutes of fighting the beast with 4lb test line I finally see her. Nope can't be the same fish as she can hardly be pushing 6lbs. She gets off right at the hole which is probably a good thing as little reel was waiting to gut her for his lure. ;D ;D ;D All in all it was a great day once again.

BW  74 perch  2 tullibees             LR 54 perch and one lost Nessie

84 perch brought home with the biggest being 12 inches being caught on BW's line 8) 8) 8)

6.7 lbs of fillets

balance of perch and tullibees released for another year of growth.

Nessie we are coming back for you on either Thursday or Friday. ;D ;D ;D
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Delta March 15th
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2005, 09:48 PM »
Great job bud!! I hope to be getting out friday and hopefully sunday too!!

Offline mountainmama

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2005, 09:52 PM »
  Good one BW!  I'm glad you did so well two days in a row. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I may have to raid your freezer. ;D   Hopefully when you and Grump go out you will be as fortunate, or I may have to shake someone, hard!  :woot: :woot: :woot: good on ya BW, mountainmama

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2005, 09:54 PM »
MM ;D ;D ;D I have hired OBO to watch my freezer :unsure: :unsure: :whistle: :whistle:  Yup I hope grump and I have the same type of luck. I learned something off my other buddy the trophster. Just sit and watch your line. Just like the good old days. I have the fever once again. 8) 8) 8)

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Terrific story, BW, it's like being there! And I love fishing for perch.  Oh, I'm glad the gym is paying off for you.... :flex:...How far could you have run, say a month ago? Less, I'll bet.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2005, 11:02 PM »
Now if only I could convince myself to take a 45 minute walk, I might be inclined to <cough, cough> call in sick later this week.  Rower is covered up right now to keep the renovation dust off of it while the inactive dust builds...sigh.

Thanks for the story.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:32 AM »
Mono two months ago I would of died trying to walk out that far. Since Jan 28th I have dropped 20 lbs.  I don't eat all those darn snacks anymore and I have stopped on the pop. I however have been drining a few light beer this week during the filleting sessions. ::) ::) ::) Well time to go. Today I am not fishing however Thursday,friday,Saturday look out. I have the fever bad now. :o :o ;D  Oh by the way once I get my film developed I will post some pics. Man I have to buy a digital. 8) 8)

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:39 AM »
AWESOME BW :clap: :flex: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: I'm proud of you bud you must be feeling alot more energized...... hopefully we can meet up at delta on friday to wear off some of that energy on some jumbo's and burby's ;D ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:46 AM »
gonna take a look at the forecast for the remainder of the week.....either thursday or friday.....perch bustin day for me... ;D ;D...heck...if friday works for everyone....i'm in!!!!....Grump :o

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:31 AM »
Way to go BW!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I love ready these Delta posts! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:I would love to be out there right now! Oh..yeah... :whistle:I better get back to work :'( :'(

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:33 AM »
Way to go BW!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I love ready these Delta posts! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:I would love to be out there right now! Oh..yeah... :whistle:I better get back to work :'( :'(
I should proof read more carefully! hahahahaha  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:16 AM »
Sure wish I could join you guys on Friday, but that's the day I head north for a family visit to The Pas.  If I catch anything up there I'll post next week, too bad it's past the Shanty deadline.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2005, 11:41 AM »
BW, I enjoyed reliving your great day at Delta... :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:...hopefully I can duplicate the fun there on Saturday  :)
By the way, did the snowstorm reach Delta ?  :tipup:

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Way to go BW to bad on that burbot but at least you caught some tullibee and some big perch.Good luck on thursday or friday hope you catch nessie so that little reel can clean his knife :P :P and get his hook back well watch that rod tip. ;D ;D
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Way to go BW to bad on that burbot but at least you caught some tullibee and some big perch.Good luck on thursday or friday hope you catch nessie so that little reel can clean his knife :P :P and get his hook back well watch that rod tip. ;D ;D
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Grumpster/Trophy/Little reel Friday it is . I hope we get the weather we are having today . Oh well we can always build another wall of snow to block the wind. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Little reel and I are heading to delta again tommorrow I think. He was talking Dauphin but I think with a little arm twisting it will be delta. ;D ;D ;D trophy/grumpster I have changed my cell number. I will PM you with the new number.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:48 PM »
Cough cough...I don't feel so well...I think maybe some anal glaucoma is coming on...I might need to go fishing Friday to alleviate some of the symptoms  ;)

On a different note, I will be joining a new acquaintance on Saturday for a laker trip to High Lake.  I've never targeted these before, so I hope to catch at least one for a photo opportunity.

Derek

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2005, 05:27 AM »
Thriller your more then welcome to join.  8) 8) 8) Picture it 100's of perch just waiting for you. cough cough  ;D ;D

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2005, 12:31 PM »
Hope you guys enjoyed catching all those perch before.....I'M GOING TO DELTA TOMORROW !!!!! You shall feel the wrath of the "curse". I plan on being there around 7 am. Never been there before but I will have my snowmobiles and going way out somewhere. If you dare BW...let me know where you might be and I will visit !!!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2005, 12:41 PM »
 I'm guessing we will be somewhere out from the diversion if they come out this way as they might be going to Dauphin :( If they decide on Dauphin  I will be the guy hitchhiking with two white pails AC  ;) ;) ;D Bring lots of minnows cause you will need em it's pretty awesome out there right now!! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont catch today? There is alway's tommorow!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Hey to all you guy's going to Delta tommorow. Jumbo Master and I are going out to Delta aswell, if you see a black ski-doo and a green tobogan that is us, there will be at least 3 guy's on there. ;D ;D ;D

Let's show those BC dudes that manitoba brubto fishing is all about. 8) 8)

Good Luck tommorow and happy fishing!!!
<'(()))<

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2005, 07:18 PM »
Well, BW (and those that PMed me to go), my Saskatchewan farm boy work ethic unfortunately won't allow me to skip out of work that easily...sigh.  I'd really like to go, but I'll be short of staff tomorrow to boot.  My loss.

Have fun and looking forward to the photos.

Derek

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2005, 09:41 PM »
I am the same way thriller. I have not missed a day of work " knock on wood" in the last 14yrs. I would feel to guilty. That is the way I was raised!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.