Author Topic: Vexilar gain tuning question  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar gain tuning question
« on: Feb 27, 2016, 03:02 PM »
I have a new Vex FL22 HD with 12degree ducer and I used it yesterday for the first time. I was fishing 18 feet deep with a small ice jig and notice that when I tune the gain to a somewhat small line while the jig is near the bottom it turns into a rather large mark with unwanted colors when I reel it up to say 5 to 6 feet. This is on low power or normal power, so is this normal? If I tune for a small mark at 6 foot I will not be able to see the jig when it gets toward the bottom. Thanks   

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Vexilar gain tuning question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2016, 03:16 PM »
LP is used in waters less than 10 feet...could be the reason your getting wonky readings with that setting

4:10 in the video
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2016, 03:17 PM »
you will have to fiddle with the gain for different depths.18 ft I would use normal mode then tune your jig to  a small green line.the jig is going to throw a stronger signal as it gets closer to the transducer.keep your gain down as low as possible at all times.yes lp is for 10ft or  less.if the fish were at 5 to 6 ft in 18 ft then I would tune my jig to be small at that depth and not worry about dropping it all the way down.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2016, 03:36 PM »
Thanks guys. Normal power was too much even at that depth I would have to set the gain at zero. Sounds like it is working like it should.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2016, 03:54 PM »
the fl12 has a 20 foot of water low power selection (yellow back ground with 20 printed on that) or normal power in 20 foot of water selection.  it doesn't have one for 10 foot of water.
basically we have to crank it way up for small jigs while on the low power mode even in shallower waters. still has a huge mark for the jig in either mode.

some jigs return the ping/sound better or worse than others do and that's for all sonars.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:26 AM »
I think that's a basic principle of sonar.  The closer the target to the transducer, the bigger the return signal.  The return signal probably varies inversely with the square of the depth or something like that.

I notice on my LX-7 that the colors change at 9' with the jigs and setup I use.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:23 PM »
buz, don't forget to use ice mode after about 10 feet or so depending on the jig's return.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:31 AM »
Great advice, I just learned something about using my Vex!
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Thanks guys. Normal power was too much even at that depth I would have to set the gain at zero. Sounds like it is working like it should.
I run mine normal mode, with the gain at zero often. As long as the screen's clutter free and you can see your jig, you're good.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2016, 09:49 PM »
I like to tune with the very least gain possible so low power for me or use my lx5.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2016, 07:50 AM »
I like to tune with the very least gain possible so low power for me or use my lx5.
i find when I use lp mode that I have my gain up higher than in regular mode.when fishing 13 ft on lp mode on my flx28 with proview I need my gain up about a 1/4 turn.same machine and same depth in reg mode its zero gain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.