Author Topic: How many prefer ice fishing to open water fishing?  (Read 5760 times)

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
How many prefer ice fishing to open water fishing?
« on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:00 PM »
Although I fish for many different species of fish, and  i go fishing often throughout the year, I prefer ice fishing over open water fishing. I spend much more time researching and much more money on ice fishing gear than I do on my open water gear. Are there others out there who feel the same way?

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
Re: How many prefer ice fishing to open water fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:19 PM »
I like to ice fish BUT open water fishing I can get to more spots where the fish are.  Here in PA it's all walking so your limited to where you go on a lake.  Pretty hard to drag your equipment a couple of miles through ice and snow.
sparky

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:21 PM »
I love icefishing, and fishing in general but I have to go with open water fishing. Fish are more active, more agressive, easier acess, and a hell of a lot more comfortable with the weather. I like the different phases of open water fishing, ice out, pre spawn, spawn, post spawn, deep summer, and then the bulk up for the winter.
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:36 PM »
Although I fish for many different species of fish, and  i go fishing often throughout the year, I prefer ice fishing over open water fishing. I spend much more time researching and much more money on ice fishing gear than I do on my open water gear. Are there others out there who feel the same way?
I love ice fishing and that is why I don't go South or S/W except for a week or two.  I enjoy the open water fishing just as much only don't seem to have the time to get out as often.  I have spent  a whole lot more $$$$$$$$$on open water and I have the toys for the hard water + rods.

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:38 PM »
If I could only pic one way and one place to fish it would be stump pond on the ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:51 PM »
If I could only pic one way and one place to fish it would be stump pond on the ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love my open water walleye fishing to much  using your idea.  Sure glad I picture both as I'm sure you do.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:57 PM »
I don't know. Good question. I really love the easiness of open water- drive up, bait the hook and cast out. You don't have to set-up the shanty, drill holes, deal with the cold, etc, etc, etc. BUT- I LOVE ICE FISHING, TOO!! I don't own a boat, but to be honest, I'd rather shore fish between the two anyways.

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:58 PM »
I have more fun ice fishing, but open water is awesome too.
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:06 PM »
I don't know. Good question. I really love the easiness of open water- drive up, bait the hook and cast out. You don't have to set-up the shanty, drill holes, deal with the cold, etc, etc, etc. BUT- I LOVE ICE FISHING, TOO!! I don't own a boat, but to be honest, I'd rather shore fish between the two anyways.
  I have a boat,but still do some shore fishing.  I think it is the most relaxing way to fish.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:34 PM »
I think icefishing is #1.  Trolling Lake Ontario is a close #2.  Flyfishing steelhead is #3.  Derby time on Lake Ontario is the only time I would prefer open water fishing over icefishing.  Nothing like fishing for cash!  The LOC derby has now added a 3rd derby.  Now I can fish derbies all Spring and Summer. 

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:36 PM »
I sold my boat, bought a Shappell, an Aqua View, heater and all new rods and tip-ups. To top it off
money in the bank.

Not that I didn't enjoy open water fishing but it just got to expensive.
$45.00 gas for the boat, $55.00 gas for the truck, food, bait and don't forget the soda, another
$40 bucks. $8.00 to put your boat in the water and your at $148.00, and you haven't even put your
foot in the boat yet.

Ice Fishing, I throw the hut in the truck, buy bait, soda and food. Gas goes much further without
any tow. $25 / $30.00 I'm out for the day.

Cheep? Maybe..... Like to watch my $$.

I look at it this way. Summer boating weather is short, 2months tops and you need decent
winds. Seems everytime I went out it was blowing 20/30mph. Now it don't matter, I'm in the hut.

Winter at least 3 months of ice. More fishing for less money.

I vote for ice fishing.

Tight lines  :tipup: :tipup:

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I prefer ice fishing because i have off work all winter  :)

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:58 PM »
I am happy I have the oppurtunity to experience both types. I do love ice fishing but the excessibility of open water and being able to move effortlessly is almost hard to beat. I am sure if I fished a smaller lake I think my opinion may be different. And going back to sit in the sun on the deck in 90 degree weather drinking a cold beer kinda tops the day off....

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:24 PM »
Tough choice.  I see the two differently.  I love icefishing because there's always someone new to it, it seems and I like to expose people to icefishing.  I love open water because most times it's just me fishing and it seems to require less effort--the waders and flyrods stay in the truck all summer.  If I were forced to pick one, I think I would go with icefishing.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline jigmasterjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:24 PM »
I enjoy icefishing but open water is my passion. I like to fish light and mobile which Is possible icefishing but not like open water when I can hit four plus different bodies of water in a day, the arms tend to get tired drilling holes when icefishing.

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:32 PM »
I would have to say Icefishing is #1 only because i find it more challenging than open water. I do love the open water and the camping with the kids and the canoe trips. The plus for both sides is there is always the BEER.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:39 PM »

I do have to add one thing to my own post- I fish G Loomis rods exclusively for open water, but I still have 20 times the cash spent on ice fishing stuff, so I think barring a boat, open waters a cheaper hobby.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:25 PM »
Ice fishing is #1 with me,of course, I get more time to go in the winter and up here that's about 9 mos. of the year lol. It sure helps to pass the winter and even makes me look forward to it.

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:30 PM »
i like open water fishing... dont like the black flies though..lol... much more expensive

but i think i prefer ice fishing... nothing like sitting in your shack; nobody around because it is storming like a biotch and you are the only one on the ice...

and the fish seem to taste better in the winter

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Icefishing all the way. Just ask antbody that knows me. "Ya gotta stick around for the night bite." This is my infamous line. I love any kind of fishing, but if I had to chose. BRING ON THE ICE!!!!!!!

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2007, 11:38 PM »
I do have to add one thing to my own post- I fish G Loomis rods exclusively for open water, but I still have 20 times the cash spent on ice fishing stuff, so I think barring a boat, open waters a cheaper hobby.

Have you ever tried St Croix Rods they are just amazing!
Love them more than my heritage lakers. lol  But would rather use the lakers guess where???

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2007, 12:01 AM »
I fish year round and at least 3 or 4 times a week on the average.  I prefer fishing open water.  The big reason is that in most of my area, fishing season is closes in September and opens in April and May.

As for the cost....I guess fishing in the summer is a bit more expensive because I will drive a bit further away from the house to go fishing.  I go ice fishing in the river in front of my house.  I almost never drive more than 20 minutes from my home when I go ice fishing.

Ice fishing for me is only for 1 day while during the summer, I can spend 2 to 5 days in the bush.  This means bringing and using much more equipment.

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2007, 02:56 AM »
Since I no longer own a boat, ice fishing gets me out on the lake. But I have to give open water the nod, it's easier to get the family involved.
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:07 AM »
Hmmmmm.......

From ice out until October - open water is my favorite.  Then from October until early January, hunting is the absolute best.  And from January through the end of February (the typical time I can get ice here in SE PA), ice fishing is king.

It's just hard to pick one.  When I'm hunkered down in a corn field and the geese have their wings set, that's tough to beat.  Last summer when I was killing smallies, that couldn't get better.  In the spring, when the trout are hitting, that seems perfect.  This year on the ice with my son catching gills one after another, how could it get any better.

OK, I can't decide. ???  Thank god I don't have to. :D

Maybe I would like to be on ice, with open water nearby.  Three tipups with flags waving, with my open water gear and the drag zinging, and geese setting up coming in to the decoys I set out!  Yeah, right and Jennifer Garner waiting for me in my shanty, nakad, cooking dinner, with a TV on (the Steelers are winning in the SB).
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:25 AM »
I like the comraderie of ice fishing, hanging out with a bunch of friends cooking up tasty grub, drinking a couple adult beverages and watching the the kids running around after flags.  Open water fishing I can only have 3 in my boat.  Even though I catch way more fish in the summer, I think the nod goes to ice fishing.  I find myself in the summer tooting around the lake, looking for structure to fish over when the ice comes in...I don't ever find myself thinking 'this would be a good place to hit this summer' when I'm on the ice.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:28 AM »
ICE,hands down.I've done every kind of open water fishing there is,but would trade it all a long ice season. Here in Pa. we don't have the ice are northern friends do.My wish list is Devils Lake,Lake of the Woods,and Quinti just mention few.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:29 AM »
Ice !

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2007, 09:01 AM »
Hmmmmm.......

From ice out until October - open water is my favorite.  Then from October until early January, hunting is the absolute best.  And from January through the end of February (the typical time I can get ice here in SE PA), ice fishing is king.

It's just hard to pick one.  When I'm hunkered down in a corn field and the geese have their wings set, that's tough to beat.  Last summer when I was killing smallies, that couldn't get better.  In the spring, when the trout are hitting, that seems perfect.  This year on the ice with my son catching gills one after another, how could it get any better.

OK, I can't decide. ???  Thank god I don't have to. :D

Maybe I would like to be on ice, with open water nearby.  Three tipups with flags waving, with my open water gear and the drag zinging, and geese setting up coming in to the decoys I set out!  Yeah, right and Jennifer Garner waiting for me in my shanty, nakad, cooking dinner, with a TV on (the Steelers are winning in the SB).
You hit the nail right on the head.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2007, 09:21 AM »
Have you ever tried St Croix Rods they are just amazing!
Love them more than my heritage lakers. lol  But would rather use the lakers guess where???
I have a St Croix and also a G Loomis with the reels on just those two rods cost more then my vex and camera.  I think they both are fantastic rods.

chimo

« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2007, 09:49 AM »
I love to do both and when I'm not doing either I'm inthe woods.  I really love just sitting back and waiting for flags though.  The anticipation is great and then you never know what is on the other end .

Chimo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.