Author Topic: St Croix Ice Rods  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
St Croix Ice Rods
« on: Nov 24, 2003, 01:52 PM »
Has anyone used or purchased any of the St croix ice rods?  All my open water rods are St croix and was looking to grab some of their new ice rods? Any comments?  Thanks

Offline ZachSchuler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:St Croix Ice Rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2003, 08:32 PM »
I used a 28" UL Avid last year and I loved that Rod. I bought another one for this year as well as a 28" ML. I also got my dad a 28" ML Premier. They are well made and very sensitive. They have a combo too for the premiers but the reel is pretty big.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:33 AM »
Im looking at purchasing a couple this year.  Whats the best price you found for them?
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2003, 10:03 AM »
I just got a 24"ul premier it's a very nice rod.  Good action not to stiff. I've seen them in 4 different places same price everywhere $20.   My only negative comment is that they could have put on a higher quality guides.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2003, 10:38 AM »
The guides are stainless steel - they are very high quality!

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2003, 12:01 PM »
I just bought one of these rods from Fish307.  Since they don't come with reel rings -- how do you guys mount the reel to the rod.  I just used to wire ties.  Any other suggestions?

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2003, 12:31 PM »
Hey Lucky
Use electrical tape.  That is how I hold the reels on all my ice rods.
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2003, 01:11 PM »
Luckydog
The handles are made to have the reels taped on. But get the rod to balance with the reel. Put your index finger under the rod just ahead of the reel, if the rod tips forward move the reel back and visa versa. Do this till it balances. It will keep the fatigue on the wrists down. Also acts as a tip-down for light biters. You can hang it off your finger after you jig it. After it balances then tape it tight to the rod
Cold Feet

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2003, 06:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies, looks like my order will be made shortly.  Do you notice much difference b/w the premier and the avid?  I always wondered why they have you tape the reels on any benefit to this?  Some of my other rods have the sliding rings.  O well I'm definitely going with st croix

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2003, 09:43 AM »
Richstick: You don't see those stainless guides on any other St.Croix rods. They could have put some nice fuji guides on these rods. But they went the cheap route.

Chairman: lose the rings any rod will feel much nicer in the hand with the reel taped on.  it's even more solid than the rings I always take mine off.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2003, 09:54 AM »
One thing I do with my rods is after I find the balance point, where the reel sits most comfortably, I trace a line around the reel seat on the handle of the rod with a fine tip marker. This way I know right where to tape it on the next ice fishing season.  

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2003, 11:32 AM »
They went with SS for the weight savings and durability factors.  Fuji guides are overrated.  I think the guides are awesome, probably one of the best selling points of the rod, besides the great arc that they have on the blanks.  Much better than any of the HT Polar junk or Frabill garbage on the market.  I've quit making rods now, because you can't duplicate the action of the more premium solid carbon rods - the St. Croixs, Genzs, etc. for the money. I'm itching to try those Yad rods, but for some reason the Gander near me doesn't have them. The Avid and Premier use identical blanks and guides, only the handles are different.  I have noticed the assembly quality on the premiers is a bit suspect- they are having them assembled overseas, a first for St. Croix, all their rods are assembled in northern Wisconsin, 1/2 hour from my house. I'll have to talk to Dan about that one.  I've noticed some issues with the spines being off on the premiers - about every third one you pick up.  

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2003, 11:59 AM »
walleye1, you mean you don't have a reel for every rod you own ?? Time to go shopping.    :)
Pete Lewis

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2003, 12:26 PM »
Actually eyedoktr I almost do. If you'd see the amount of rods in the rafters in my basement you would be truly impressed by that statement! That little tip was for the guys who aren't reelaholics such as myself, and by the sounds of it, you also!! ;)  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.