Author Topic: FLX 30 BROADBAND  (Read 10525 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: FLX 30 BROADBAND
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:10 PM »
Do you have a headache this morning?

No I’m just PISSED off they will not make the dual or tri beam....they push the POS pro view acting like it’s the end all....I hate the thing. All 4 of my vex units have multi beams between the dual and tri beams...once the beam goes bad on them I’ll be going to either humming bird or marcum.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #31 on: Oct 24, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Does anyone have an idea as to why they refuse to listen to their customer base? I would like to try the tri beam on my two vex units. I’m not impressed with the proview on my flx28 so I actually swapped that one with my fl 18 ducer.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Does anyone have an idea as to why they refuse to listen to their customer base? I would like to try the tri beam on my two vex units. I’m not impressed with the proview on my flx28 so I actually swapped that one with my fl 18 ducer.

It’s because they are idiots. The last tribeam they had worked great. People wanted it and the few they had made were gone quick. The pro view never narrows up like it should, and turns the screen to blob crap when the dial is turned up.

I’ve never seen a company go backwards like vexilar

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 24, 2020, 04:33 PM »
 i like how they slap a chinese led light on a 1990 tech flasher and figure they can charge similar to a helix or lx7.  brand loyalty is a powerful thing apparently!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 24, 2020, 05:37 PM »
i like how they slap a chinese led light on a 1990 tech flasher and figure they can charge similar to a helix or lx7.  brand loyalty is a powerful thing apparently!

Pretty much....then the add an 18 ft zoom like is some huge option.....I mean **censored**? Who needs or would really use an 18ft zoom ? 

I’m thinking the next move will be to ad 116 IR settings and charge another $100 for it

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:43 AM »
I have a 28 and didn’t like the Proview either. So unlike Ag. I bought a 12 degree and you know what, life went on. I like the Vex’s, as do probably more people that have all the other brands combined, take 3 deep breaths and relax, you’ll live longer. You’re opinion has been heard.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Lol right .name calling and getting worked up about a quality product.pack the vexilars up and sell them and switch to other brands.life goes on..Yeah it sucks they dont make multiple beam ducers anymore but tons of fish are caught without them.

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Not sure why people are so pissed off about this unit considering its brand new and very few if anyone have had it on the ice at this point. Vexilar has always been about quality, simplicity, and ease of use with flashers.  Key word being flashers..  Seems to me Vexilar is listening to their customers with the 30BB.  Everyone loved the FLX-28 but didn’t like the Pro View ducer, not a huge fan myself.  Lots of complaints about Vexilar getting rid of the Tri Beam.  With this new unit Vexilar basically said heres an FLX -28 with a new ducer/head unit that gives you seven different cone angles at the push of a button instead of three like the tri beam, without the goofy external toggle switch.  You also get a Lithium battery which is much lighter and lasts longer, extra zoom zone, more IR settings and some deeper water settings. For some these extras will be useful and worth the uprgade and for others they wont. If its for you pick one up if not don’t.  If you want a GPS style unit there are some good options on the market. Grab one.  Who cares if it says Vexilar, Garmin or Hummingbird on it.  Maybe Vexilar will make units like that in the future but right now they make Flashers.  That being said its very expensive given that currently its only offered on the Ultra Pack.  I don’t agree with that decision.  Vexilar should offer it on the Pro and Genz packs from the get go IMO.  Personally I think the Ultra, Pro and Genz packs are getting a bit long in the tooth and need some updates.  Vexilar could make their own but much better version of the Marcum shuttle as an example.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 27, 2020, 02:01 PM »
Not sure why people are so pissed off about this unit considering its brand new and very few if anyone have had it on the ice at this point. Vexilar has always been about quality, simplicity, and ease of use with flashers.  Key word being flashers..  Seems to me Vexilar is listening to their customers with the 30BB.  Everyone loved the FLX-28 but didn’t like the Pro View ducer, not a huge fan myself.  Lots of complaints about Vexilar getting rid of the Tri Beam.  With this new unit Vexilar basically said heres an FLX -28 with a new ducer/head unit that gives you seven different cone angles at the push of a button instead of three like the tri beam, without the goofy external toggle switch.  You also get a Lithium battery which is much lighter and lasts longer, extra zoom zone, more IR settings and some deeper water settings. For some these extras will be useful and worth the uprgade and for others they wont. If its for you pick one up if not don’t.  If you want a GPS style unit there are some good options on the market. Grab one.  Who cares if it says Vexilar, Garmin or Hummingbird on it.  Maybe Vexilar will make units like that in the future but right now they make Flashers.  That being said its very expensive given that currently its only offered on the Ultra Pack.  I don’t agree with that decision.  Vexilar should offer it on the Pro and Genz packs from the get go IMO.  Personally I think the Ultra, Pro and Genz packs are getting a bit long in the tooth and need some updates.  Vexilar could make their own but much better version of the Marcum shuttle as an example.

It’s not being pissed off about the new unit. It’s about what they have done to the units they’ve had out to customers. I’ve been happy with the simplicity of the units and the durability and longevity. They work just fine. No update worries or that kinda stuff. Was very happy with them.

The problem is when they took away the dual & tribeam options for the older units. It turn the older units into being a joke because you can’t change the cone. There is no reason that a person should have to sell an old vexilar unit and have to upgrade to the latest vexilar just to have multiple beams. When they had dual and tri beams that worked for the units.

I’ve been running a lot a vexilars out of my wheel house. If you take the ability away of narrowing the cone. U end up with multiple lures on the people’s screens which sucks. With the dual or tri beams you can drop them all to the 9* or 8* and keep the other persons lure off your screen in deeper water. Or if shallower run the wider cones. A pro view transducer is NOT 9* we tried multiple pro views and it does not narrow up like it should. It also does not widen out like it should without a mess on the screen.

What’s upsetting is vexilar made the choice to downgrade/take away the option on older units for no reason besides forcing a customer into the situation of having to upgrade to the latest unit for that option....which is total bull.

The following are the units I run.....
FL18 tri beam genz pack
FL20 dual beam ultra pack
FL22HD tri beam pro pack
FLX28 tri beam double vision

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Oct 27, 2020, 02:50 PM »
Vexilar needs to jump on the Retro train by introducing the RetroBeam transducer ...3 all new angles 20* ..12*.. 9*..BOOM . They do watch this site ..REMEMBER the K-Drill Video.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Oct 27, 2020, 02:51 PM »
It’s not being pissed off about the new unit. It’s about what they have done to the units they’ve had out to customers. I’ve been happy with the simplicity of the units and the durability and longevity. They work just fine. No update worries or that kinda stuff. Was very happy with them.

The problem is when they took away the dual & tribeam options for the older units. It turn the older units into being a joke because you can’t change the cone. There is no reason that a person should have to sell an old vexilar unit and have to upgrade to the latest vexilar just to have multiple beams. When they had dual and tri beams that worked for the units.

I’ve been running a lot a vexilars out of my wheel house. If you take the ability away of narrowing the cone. U end up with multiple lures on the people’s screens which sucks. With the dual or tri beams you can drop them all to the 9* or 8* and keep the other persons lure off your screen in deeper water. Or if shallower run the wider cones. A pro view transducer is NOT 9* we tried multiple pro views and it does not narrow up like it should. It also does not widen out like it should without a mess on the screen.

What’s upsetting is vexilar made the choice to downgrade/take away the option on older units for no reason besides forcing a customer into the situation of having to upgrade to the latest unit for that option....which is total bull.

The following are the units I run.....
FL18 tri beam genz pack
FL20 dual beam ultra pack
FL22HD tri beam pro pack
FLX28 tri beam double vision

At the end of the day its a business decision.  No company produces and supports every product they’ve ever made indefinitely. For whatever reason the multi beam ducers were on the chopping block unfortunately. Likely they were not selling enough of them to justify the production and warehousing costs.  Honestly I’m surprised Vexilar still sells and supports the FL-8’s and 18’s now that they have gone in the direction of the FLX series.  Those units are 20+ years old. At most companies if you called customer service for a product you bought ten years ago you’d get hung up on.  Look how often we upgrade cell phones, computers and tablets. We’ll spend a $500-$1000 on a new phone every 2-4 years and not think twice.  Even Apple phases out software updates to devices after five years or so.  Its not unreasonable for a company to want/force you to upgrade to their newer offerings every so often.  Right or wrong Vexilar is saying that if you don’t currently have a multi beam ice ducer and want one, you’ll need to upgrade to the new unit.  We can’t demand that Vexilar “get with the times” and have cutting edge tech with one breath and in the next demand that they continue to build, sell and support outdated product lines.  Tough to remain viable that way.

That being said, IMO Vexilar has product line/pricing problem.  Too many models, some being old and outdated with price differences between models that don’t make much sense.  If I were running Vexilar the FL-8 and FL-18’s wouldn’t be produced or sold but would still be serviced.  The entry level unit would be the FLX-12 then 20, 28, and 30BB.  I’d also update the cases with the mods people are doing to them once they buy them like lights, charging ports, etc.  Slim down the flasher line a little and start working on a Vexilar panoptix or livescope type unit.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #42 on: Oct 27, 2020, 03:30 PM »
There will alway be plain jane flasher guys that dont need all the really expensive  panoptics Or other Units to pull of fish thru a hole in the ice.Guess i dont want to move as fast as the world tech wants me to go.i like simple things in life.my next vehicle will be another 80s dodge truck because the were built to last and i can still work on them unlike the vehicles made today where you cant find the battery,anyways i got off track but i catch fish without multiple beams although i have all the ducers vexilar makes and i think they will make another tribeam some day.Im happy with my low tech vexilars and its all i need to put fish topside.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #43 on: Oct 27, 2020, 03:41 PM »
There will alway be plain jane flasher guys that dont need all the really expensive  panoptics Or other Units to pull of fish thru a hole in the ice.Guess i dont want to move as fast as the world tech wants me to go.i like simple things in life.my next vehicle will be another 80s dodge truck because the were built to last and i can still work on them unlike the vehicles made today where you cant find the battery,anyways i got off track but i catch fish without multiple beams although i have all the ducers vexilar makes and i think they will make another tribeam some day.Im happy with my low tech vexilars and its all i need to put fish topside.

👍😁👍
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Oct 27, 2020, 04:34 PM »
Every tri beam they made had to be replaced at least once, many multiple times. They just plain didn’t work. They finally found a company that made them not crack or leak but the cost was not at a justifiable price point but they bit the bullet and replaced the bad ones for their customers. That’s an exceptional company not a hide and run one. Vexilars work year after year unlike the newbys. 3 deep breaths techy’s and buy whatever you want.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #45 on: Oct 27, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Every tri beam they made had to be replaced at least once, many multiple times. They just plain didn’t work. They finally found a company that made them not crack or leak but the cost was not at a justifiable price point but they bit the bullet and replaced the bad ones for their customers. That’s an exceptional company not a hide and run one. Vexilars work year after year unlike the newbys. 3 deep breaths techy’s and buy whatever you want.

I’ve had a dual beam from day one no problems ever. The last tri beams work no problem. The reason vexilar had problems was with the first style tri beam was because they went cheap to make more margin. Put a cheap plastic cap with poting expoxie ithat expanded and contracted causing it to crack......

(Can’t make a multi beam transducer at a reasonable cost? Every other company does)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 27, 2020, 05:46 PM »

At the end of the day its a business decision.  No company produces and supports every product they’ve ever made indefinitely. For whatever reason the multi beam ducers were on the chopping block unfortunately. Likely they were not selling enough of them to justify the production and warehousing costs.  Honestly I’m surprised Vexilar still sells and supports the FL-8’s and 18’s now that they have gone in the direction of the FLX series.  Those units are 20+ years old. At most companies if you called customer service for a product you bought ten years ago you’d get hung up on.  Look how often we upgrade cell phones, computers and tablets. We’ll spend a $500-$1000 on a new phone every 2-4 years and not think twice.  Even Apple phases out software updates to devices after five years or so.  Its not unreasonable for a company to want/force you to upgrade to their newer offerings every so often.  Right or wrong Vexilar is saying that if you don’t currently have a multi beam ice ducer and want one, you’ll need to upgrade to the new unit.  We can’t demand that Vexilar “get with the times” and have cutting edge tech with one breath and in the next demand that they continue to build, sell and support outdated product lines.  Tough to remain viable that way.

That being said, IMO Vexilar has product line/pricing problem.  Too many models, some being old and outdated with price differences between models that don’t make much sense.  If I were running Vexilar the FL-8 and FL-18’s wouldn’t be produced or sold but would still be serviced.  The entry level unit would be the FLX-12 then 20, 28, and 30BB.  I’d also update the cases with the mods people are doing to them once they buy them like lights, charging ports, etc.  Slim down the flasher line a little and start working on a Vexilar panoptix or livescope type unit.

Vexilar is not a “tech” company nor is anything they’ve brought or developed cutting edge. They will never be cutting edge. Simple, durable, and solid is what they are. Which is fine....

If you can’t get the simple sonar and options...well there is no need for them.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Oct 27, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Vexilar is not a “tech” company nor is anything they’ve brought or developed cutting edge. They will never be cutting edge. Simple, durable, and solid is what they are. Which is fine....

If you can’t get the simple sonar and options...well there is no need for them.

Simple, durable and solid is all I need. FL-8, now 18 has filled my freezer every winter for the last...I dunno...20 years or so. My 1st fish finder was a lead weight on an alligator clip; 1st auger was a spud. That was over 50 years ago. I've come a long way "tech" wise. I'm good.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Oct 28, 2020, 06:18 AM »
If you have a Proview and there is too much clutter, you must have turned the gain up to widen the cone too much.  Turn it down and it will be a narrow beam, turn it up and it will be a wide beam.  Med setting will be a med beam.   There ya go TRI BEAM!

;)

;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2020, 06:26 AM »
[quote author=Iceassin link=topic=377940.msg4096039#msg4096039 date=My 1st fish finder was a lead weight on an alligator clip; 1st auger was a spud. That was over 50 years ago. I've come a long way "tech" wise. I'm good.
[/quote]
 Lol , and the alligator clip had a dual purpose 🤪 my first unit was a hondex man that was like leaving the Stone Age 😉

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #50 on: Oct 28, 2020, 06:55 AM »
[quote author=Iceassin link=topic=377940.msg4096039#msg4096039 date=My 1st fish finder was a lead weight on an alligator clip; 1st auger was a spud. That was over 50 years ago. I've come a long way "tech" wise. I'm good.

Lol , and the alligator clip had a dual purpose 🤪 my first unit was a hondex man that was like leaving the Stone Age 😉
haha yes the fish whistle adapter..

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Here's my 2 cents.  I got my FLX30-BB yesterday.  I'm excited about the frequencies to control the beam and be able to tune in the mark sizes.  I like everything about it but one thing...the battery/charger.  They went with Lithium Ion instead of LifePo4, which means I can't charge it with the same charger I charge all my other batteries with.  I will probably swap it for a LifePo4 just to simplify my life.

Other than that I can't wait to get that thing on the ice!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #52 on: Oct 28, 2020, 01:44 PM »
If you have a Proview and there is too much clutter, you must have turned the gain up to widen the cone too much.  Turn it down and it will be a narrow beam, turn it up and it will be a wide beam.  Med setting will be a med beam.   There ya go TRI BEAM!

;)

;)

That’s what they claim.

In no way does it work close to what a multi beam can do.  I tried 3 different pro views on all 4 of my units. Lowest gain setting in LP mode still is wider then a tri or dual beam in the small cone setting in normal power low gain.

Turning the gain up on a pro view does widen the cone, but to get it wide like the wide cone on a dual or tri beam....you end up with a mess on the screen.

In theory it works, and it does widen and narrow the cone. However, it in no way comes close to the adjustability on cone angles like a dual or tri beam.

I had 4 experienced vex users trying to get the pro view to do what we wanted for 4 days on an ice fishing trip. Nobody could get the thing to do what we wanted. My buddy was disappointed in it enough he returned his new vex unit back to the store and got an LX 7.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Oct 28, 2020, 02:45 PM »

is not sure why people are unhappy (price, innovation, not enough options)

then lists all the reasons he is unhappy (price, innovation, not enough options)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Oct 28, 2020, 02:54 PM »

;)

;)

the 2 proviews we've used either have caused a ton of clutter in shallower sub 10' water when trying to widen the beam out even just a bit.    turn on all the modes we could and we are just staring at this thing like certainly its an us problem.   sure enough a buddy shows up with his 28 and its the same thing.  we could fish still we agreed it was not ideal.  i'd rather fish a single beam 12 or 19 than ever use that again.  we fish too much dirty shallow water i guess.    in deeper water it seemed to work as intended. 

one 28 was sold and the other got a 19 deg ducer slapped on it. 

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Oct 28, 2020, 02:59 PM »
For the record, I was kidding about the ProView.   I'm well aware you can't adjust the beam.  I hated my ProView. 

Vexilar is a great company with a great staff. 

Great marketing minds to....  ;)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #56 on: Oct 28, 2020, 03:17 PM »
For the record, I was kidding about the ProView.   I'm well aware you can't adjust the beam.  I hated my ProView. 

Vexilar is a great company with a great staff. 

Great marketing minds to....  ;)

the 2 proviews we've used either have caused a ton of clutter in shallower sub 10' water when trying to widen the beam out even just a bit.    turn on all the modes we could and we are just staring at this thing like certainly its an us problem.   sure enough a buddy shows up with his 28 and its the same thing.  we could fish still we agreed it was not ideal.  i'd rather fish a single beam 12 or 19 than ever use that again.  we fish too much dirty shallow water i guess.    in deeper water it seemed to work as intended. 

one 28 was sold and the other got a 19 deg ducer slapped on it.

I had that same issue to....sitting next to an FL20 dual beam with a perfect display.

When the FLX28 came out I purchased just the head unit and put it on my FL20 Pack with a dual beam. Worked great.

Got another pack and tri beam. To make the FLX it’s own unit. Tri beam cracked so they sent a pro view...issues all over with it.

I returned it to vexilar after having them inform me that the the flx 28 was made for the pro view and the dual and tri beams wouldn’t work with it like a pro view. After having them argue with me for 10min. After fishing with the FLX28 and dual beam for months. They finally replaced the proview with the last good tribeam they had made. Works great, cleared up all the issues I had with the pro view. Been very happy with it having the tri beam. I still to this day can’t understand why vexilar argued against using other transducers on the unit other then the pro view. I’ve had zero problems with them.

Have you had any issues with using the 12*?

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Here's my 2 cents.  I got my FLX30-BB yesterday.  I'm excited about the frequencies to control the beam and be able to tune in the mark sizes.  I like everything about it but one thing...the battery/charger.  They went with Lithium Ion instead of LifePo4, which means I can't charge it with the same charger I charge all my other batteries with.  I will probably swap it for a LifePo4 just to simplify my life.

Other than that I can't wait to get that thing on the ice!

I was able to talk to the fine folks up at Vexilar yesterday and find out some more info on the battery.  I'll share what I learned here.

1: The battery is a LifePo4
2: You can use any LifePo4 charger as long as you don't put more than 1 Amp through the factory barrel connector.  You can put a different connector on it or use the posts on the Ultra Pack and be fine

That settles my mind on it that's for sure!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Oct 31, 2020, 03:21 AM »
Wow!!! All of this talk about guys with multiple units with dual beams, tri beams, quadruple zoom settings made me wonder how I ever catch anything (which is my ultimate goal) with one unit and and a single cone/angle ducer. So I checked my freezer. Meh...I'm doing alright.  ;)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #59 on: Oct 31, 2020, 05:23 AM »
Amen iceassin my 12 degree ducer on flx20 is a great unit, reliable, accurate an easy to master.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.