The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Carb Adjustment on Jiffy Auger  (Read 11052 times)

snofish

Carb Adjustment on Jiffy Auger
« on: Mar 10, 2005, 08:13 PM »
 :(

I bought a new Jiffy Stealth 3 hp auger last year. It's a beautiful machine but I dont' think the carb was properly adjusted when I got it.

Does anyone know the correct starting points for adjusting the high and low speed screws?

Any input is appreciated.

Offline mgarvey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Carb Adjustment on Jiffy Auger
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2005, 09:21 PM »
The  instructions should tell you how to adjust the carb. They need adjusrting when you get it to adjust to elevation and to temperature. There should be two screws one for throttle and the other is fuel / air mixture. you need to adjust the fuel/air mixture. The best is to get it running and adjust it slowly. Count the1/4 turns just incase it stalls you can turn it back to before it stalled. Also make sure the fuel mixture is exact it does make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Offline shantyicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:53 AM »
1.  Pull the yellow plastic caps out of the carb adjusters.

2.  Lightly seat both of the carb adjustment screws.

3.  The left screw, the "low" idle adjustment should be turrned out 1 1/8 turns.

4.  The right screw, the "high" idle adjustment should be turned out between 5/8 and 3/4 turns.

Adjust from there....

I like to leave the cap on the auger and find myself a big pile of snow.  That way I can run the thing, at idle and wide open and everywhere in between without digging a hole or harming the blade etc...
I also prefer doing this with two people, one person to hold the auger and one person to set the fine tuning on the carb. 

So, have one person start up the auger.  The idle should be fairly strong. If it's not, open up the left screw a bit...  If you turn it too much the engine will stall.  Then have the other person gun the throttle.  If the engine chokes, turn out the right screw a "c" hair and try again.  You want to be able to go from idle to full on with no hesitation.

If worse comes to worse, I live in the Worcester area...  lol.

snofish

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2005, 05:41 PM »
I appreciate the help boys. I was disappointed that the manual that came with the auger tells you to call an authorized Tecumsah dealer regarding carb adjustments.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again.

Offline shantyicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2005, 05:08 PM »
So what's the verdict???   ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.