Author Topic: Go Pro advice needed  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
Go Pro advice needed
« on: Oct 04, 2022, 08:24 PM »
Looking to get some live action fish paparazzi footage w/ a wireless go pro setup. Looked through what's available & not seeing anything that stands out from da rest. Anyone own/use one? Difference between em'  +/- over recording w/ Eyoyo setup.?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Go Pro advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2022, 07:38 AM »
Have the 9, works great.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2022, 08:15 AM »
Underwater?

Catchin' Fish

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2022, 03:38 PM »
Yes underwater. Looking to film pike attacking da dekes. Probably within 4'., clarity on Eyoyo in murky water is around 3' depending on sun. Looking for a clearer image.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2022, 08:28 AM »
the wireless wont work underwater....if I was doing stationary underwater recording with an actioncam i'd just get a dragon touch 4k

Catchin' Fish

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2022, 09:41 AM »
Yes underwater. Looking to film pike attacking da dekes. Probably within 4'., clarity on Eyoyo in murky water is around 3' depending on sun. Looking for a clearer image.

3’ in murky water sounds better than most cameras out there, including the big boys. Honestly, there’s only so much a camera can do when presented with low light, cloudy/murky water. You know, like ice fishing. A camera relies on light to produce an image. That’s why a lot of underwater cameras have that “night” mode that makes everything monochrome. In monochrome, the camera can adjust contrast to produce a much more pronounced image compared to the color image when in those lowlight/murky conditions.

I can also understand wanting to minimize the setup by going wireless but like matzilla pointed out, the wireless just isn’t going to work underwater. Now, you could still use a GoPro but you’d have to rig up a watertight hardwired setup. There just isn’t a way around that as consumer technology currently stands.

Certain cameras do perform better for these conditions but there is only so much a camera, even ones costing thousands, can do when the light just isn’t there.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2022, 12:56 PM »
Thanks for the input. One issue i have is the 7" Eyoyo setup doesn't record to SD , i made a nice mount out of a hockey puck tipup & can deal w/ cords. I need to be able to start/stop record on command to save battery life while not bringing a laptop out on da ice.

Offline EYOYO

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2022, 05:01 AM »
3’ in murky water sounds better than most cameras out there, including the big boys. Honestly, there’s only so much a camera can do when presented with low light, cloudy/murky water. You know, like ice fishing. A camera relies on light to produce an image. That’s why a lot of underwater cameras have that “night” mode that makes everything monochrome. In monochrome, the camera can adjust contrast to produce a much more pronounced image compared to the color image when in those lowlight/murky conditions.

I can also understand wanting to minimize the setup by going wireless but like matzilla pointed out, the wireless just isn’t going to work underwater. Now, you could still use a GoPro but you’d have to rig up a watertight hardwired setup. There just isn’t a way around that as consumer technology currently stands.

Certain cameras do perform better for these conditions but there is only so much a camera, even ones costing thousands, can do when the light just isn’t there.
Yeah, you have a good knowledge of our fishing camera! All cameras cannot capture clear images if murky conditions! But the camera works well if clear water!

EYOYO underwater fishing camera maker!

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2022, 06:32 AM »
Got this one on Amazon for under 50.00
Key fob stop/start. 2 hr.run time no wires & waterproof.

Offline Toothhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:16 PM »
Don’t think GoPros can give ya live underwater footage.  You could record then pull it and view though.

I have a GoPro 10 and gofishcam.  The gofishcam I’ve used for ice fishing a few times and it takes some finagling but got some cool footage of a huge bow coming after my shiner.  It’s just a bit heavy so takes experimenting with leader length etc to get good shot.

My GoPro I got this year so haven’t used thru ice yet.  The other day I was out trapping bait and I rigged it up inside of a trap to see what it could do underwater.  The footage is pretty remarkable.  I was trapping a shallow/murky/stained half acre puddle and didn’t expect much.  The clarity was way beyond what I expected.

Side note-you can get a live view using the gofishcam but there is a catch-it has to be on the surface.  They come with a foam float that attaches.  Wouldn’t help much in most ice scenarios but super shallow pike fishing is one which could work.  Depends on clarity of H2O.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.