Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Salmon

Salmon on Jigs??

<< < (2/5) > >>

Pasquatch:

--- Quote from: slipbob on Mar 04, 2005, 09:57 AM ---
Well you have to realize if you're fishing for perch you're not really fishing deep water.  The deepest anybody's jiggin perch at the king is at most 45ft.  The salmon move through the grass like the lakers looking for smelt and sculpins.   

--- End quote ---
Exactly. A fish down 20 feet in 20 feet of water is just a far down as a fish 20 feet in 200 feet. Salmon do cruise through weeds looking for smelt, although its not where you would typically look for them.

kingfshr16:
Slipbob, i woudlnt say 45 feet is the most, i've fished them in 60 feet and caught big ones and little ones both.
 Pasquatch, yes i do agree, all the salmon i have caught have been in the first 15 feet of the water column.

Pasquatch:

--- Quote from: kingfshr16 on Mar 04, 2005, 11:46 PM ---Slipbob, i woudlnt say 45 feet is the most, i've fished them in 60 feet and caught big ones and little ones both.

--- End quote ---
60 feet is alot deeper than most people ever fish for perch, though. That's kind of the exception, not the rule. :)

jacksmelt71:
i ve caught them in 100' of water, just under the ice though. try a pearl 3-4in tube w/ a 3/8oz. jig worked about 15ft down. no need for bait. caught many sal. on this lure.

ifishhi:
i like little cleo's tipped with power bait. thats what i do when you can't use bait. in me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version