Author Topic: Bachelor Pad  (Read 2750 times)

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
Bachelor Pad
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 12:08 AM »
Single guys to add Married guys can try but you may be single!!

Today My uncle asked if I had a place to clean fish I said yeah I do em right on the kitchen counter!! His eyes lit up like a 4 year old on Christmas We didn't have to clean them in his cold garage Cleaned all the fish from today still had 20 or so outside from yesterday brought them in a set on the counter to thaw out he said if my wife seen me do that he would be living with me!! lol

Had fish in my gear bucket got tired of pulling out a jig box or tin of waxies and being covered in fish slime so I took the top rack outta the dishwasher It fit perfect so yas Know what happened... LOL

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bachelor Pad
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:27 AM »
I make my wife clean em!After all I did all the work of catchin em....

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:13 AM »
You clean your fish a day after you catch 'em? :-\
Won't they be bad if you don't clean 'em right away?
Does keeping them outside and frozen allow you to do this, I know when I get home aftr 6-8 hours on the ice, sometimes I don't feel like cleaning fish all night.

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:37 AM »
My wife just doesn't want to see it.  I have cleaned fish and game on the counter.  Everything from walleye to rabbits.  Even brought hind quarters from a deer in and cut up one time.  I do make sure to clean up any blood.... that would be pushing the luck too far.
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline tarmitten

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Work is for people who don't know how to fish!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:45 AM »
My good wife will allow me to clean anything in the sink or on the counter just as long as I clean up completely.   She will cook anything after  I FIRST CLEAN IT.  Her dad is a crab and cod fisherman so she grew up with that sort of thing. <<<>>>< :D
"My wife got a new ice auger for me...she said it was the best trade she ever made!!!"

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:45 AM »
Hey it's my house too. I clean my fish in the kitchen. (But then again, I do 95% of the cooking.)
I even smoke an occasional cigar in the house. Course, with the air purifier we have you could come in a half hour later and there would be no tell tale odor. Also, I'm an old guy. My kids have kids so it's just me and Grandma in the house.
I have kept fish outside in the winter and cleaned them the next day with no sacrifice in quality. It was cold enough that they were pretty much froze, though not frozen solid.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:48 AM »
my gf really loves to fish and eat the fish. she also insists on cleaning them and sice we only have one fillet knife i do the filleting while she takes the guts out to the trash. once done filleting we both clean the kitchen. am i spoiled or really lucky?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:54 AM »
I have cleaned them in the kitchen all my life and my wife helps me.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:59 AM »
My wife and I clean em together. I filet, she skins and removes the row of pin bones. 45 seconds or less per fish. We move through a hundred from a weekend real quick.
She tried that "would'nt be better to clean those outside routine twice"
Once I said sure, lets go. That lasted a few minutes until the bees and flies found us.
The second time it lasted until her bare hands began to freeze in the cold.
Now it is allways at the kitchen sink!

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:06 AM »
In the kitchen 100%  My wife starts filleting; messes up a few, then I take over and we both clean.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
icy water
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Fish can be kept overnight in a cooler on slush ice or extremely cold (chunks of ice)water.  I often throw my fish in a small cooler, fill it with snow or ice chips, and add enough water to cover the fish. . .they are just fine for filleting the next morning.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:04 PM »
I fillet them in the kitchen, and run the remainder through the garburetor in the sink. 

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:09 PM »
my wife has no problem with me cleaning the fish here she would cook them too...but lets just say she is not gifted in the culinary arts ;)   she does complain a bit while cleaning my mess but has never said i cant.  And thank you for the advice on how to keep fish to fillet the next day   last thing i want to do after a long day on the ice is fillet my night away

Offline tarmitten

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Work is for people who don't know how to fish!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Rub her shoulders,  tell you you love her, put your dirty underwear in the hamper and keep gas in the car and all will be well.     When all else fails.....bring KFC home for supper.<<>><
"My wife got a new ice auger for me...she said it was the best trade she ever made!!!"

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:28 PM »
My wife is cool also...years ago she made a comment about cleaning in the kitchen.  I made the comment that is where its done. Or would you like me to make your steak on the garage floor or my wk bench????
Food belongs in the kitchen..
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:11 PM »
My wife and I clean em together. I filet, she skins and removes the row of pin bones. 45 seconds or less per fish. We move through a hundred from a weekend real quick.
She tried that "would'nt be better to clean those outside routine twice"
Once I said sure, lets go. That lasted a few minutes until the bees and flies found us.
The second time it lasted until her bare hands began to freeze in the cold.
Now it is allways at the kitchen sink!

You have done the exact thing i did with my wife i had her read this just because i couldnt believe what i was reading :o :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:46 AM »
Just my daughter and I fish together on hard water.  Mom doesn't like the cold.  I clean and cook the fish, she doesn't eat fish, can't stand the smell.
I shoot, gut and drag the deer.  She skins, quarters, steaks, roasts and debones it.  We both cook it.
I clean the birds, she cooks 'em.  I clean the bunnies, she cooks 'em.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: icy water
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:09 AM »
Fish can be kept overnight in a cooler on slush ice or extremely cold (chunks of ice)water.  I often throw my fish in a small cooler, fill it with snow or ice chips, and add enough water to cover the fish. . .they are just fine for filleting the next morning.
What if it's cold enough outside to keep them frozen.Can you unthaw and fillet a few days later?Whats the longest you can go?

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:48 AM »
Some of us have made a good choice in picking a better half.  And then there are those poor others ! We die hard sportmen must try to help those unfortunate people that love our sport but don't have the support of there other half.  

I do my part,  by taking them fish to clean ;D ;D
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2007, 11:10 AM »
I can't go fishing without my wife, summer or winter...she loves to fish.  I clean 100% of the fish, and do it in the kitchen.  I also de-bone all my deer in the kitchen, three of them this year.  I do all the clean up, she does half the eating...don't see what she could have to complain about.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2007, 09:48 PM »
My wife loves to eat fish and for many years I had convinced her that I did not know how to clean fish. Those good old days were great. Now of course, I've learned to clean perch in the warm basement with my friend JACK D., listening to great jazz on the all jazz station in Rochester,NY.No electric knife yet, I like the extra time!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Well, my wife started fishing after I got the kids going...and she enjoyed it...then she was curious about cleaning...now she does at least half if not more of the cleaning...we share cooking...life is good.  She actually wasn't much of a fan of fish, but fresh walleye and perch changed her mind.

As stated earlier...kitchen is the place for food preparation.  Proper cleanup afterward and life is good.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:49 PM »
My wife is a Filipina and flat out told me I don't know how to clean or cook fish. My only job is to take the plastic bag of guts to the trash! I know, its a tough job but somebody's got to do it. After all these years, finally getting somewhat use to eating fish with the head attached but still don't find it the delicacy she does.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.