Author Topic: Loading your shack on a Smitty sled alone?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
Loading your shack on a Smitty sled alone?
« on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:03 AM »
How does everyone load their shack onto your Smitty sled alone?   I have a fully insulated Otter Lodge and empty it weighs 120 plus lbs. 

I thought about angling the the rear supports toward the back and then possibly pulling the shack up onto the Smitty sled with the front brace against my legs?

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Loading your shack on a Smitty sled alone?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:10 AM »
My Smitty has a plywood deck with a thin angle iron rail. I'm able to get ahold of the rope on my lodge. Pulling up perpendicular to the Smitty. That's the best way I've found. Hope it helps
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:21 AM »
You might be able to tip your Otter up on it's back end so it's standing up then lean it down on your Smitty.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Have your shelter behind your Smitty....then put your left foot in front of the right brace...make sure your right foot is well braced and balanced...pull up your shelter ..it will titter  tooter...then just grab the shelter to pull up onto the Smitty ..footing is key ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I can get it onto the smitty sled it is getting it into the truck that kills me...I need to come up with a better way..
I just stand in front of the shanty and lift it and slide the smitty underneath and then pull the shanty up unto the smitty..

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2015, 12:06 PM »
I'm having one fabricated out of aluminum and am going to build it such the the two outermost channels in the sled bottom will ride up onto aluminum channel ramps at the back of the sled so I can pull up onto the sled and unload alone.  I have an otter lodge also and will post pics when completed.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2015, 12:50 PM »
To load onto Smitty tilt sled and slide the shelter up. To load into back of pickup truck turn smity upside down and use the skis as a ramp. I rigged a snatch block near the front of the box between the front tie down hooks and run a rope from there to the shelter tub. Pull on the other end to winch the tub into the box.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2015, 12:58 PM »
To load onto Smitty tilt sled and slide the shelter up. To load into back of pickup truck turn smity upside down and use the skis as a ramp. I rigged a snatch block near the front of the box between the front tie down hooks and run a rope from there to the shelter tub. Pull on the other end to winch the tub into the box.

I would like to see pics of that.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Otter lodge 1200 here. Off the trailer onto the smitty is easy. From the ice ontp the smitty I lift the front of the otter up, slide the smitty underneather then pull on the front of the otter and push the smitty under with my right foot on the cross bar. From the smitty onto the trailer I use the winch on the wheeler and a snatch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.