Author Topic: More to the story on Asian carp  (Read 1479 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
More to the story on Asian carp
« on: Mar 09, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Apparently the haulers were not blatantly coming up to a border checkpoint with illegal live Asian Carp. They were draining their tanks prior to the crossing to kill them so they would be fairly fresh upon arrival. No excuse but I found it puzzling why someone would pull up to one of the busiest checkpoints in Canada with an illegal cargo -- even more than once. Apparently dead Asian carp are legal but the carp had other ideas.

And it looks like it's a big money maker for the ministry to boot and not just the fines.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/950689--another-importer-slapped-with-live-carp-fine

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
Re: More to the story on Asian carp
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:00 PM »
A repeat offender in the article got a fine in 2006 of $40K and one this March at $50K A 25% increase? Big deal! Why don't they quadruple it!?!?! If it's a drop in the bucket they just think of it as a cost of running business. Either up the fines to hurt or ban them out of the business!  :%$#!:
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Bullelk34

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2011, 05:19 PM »
A repeat offender in the article got a fine in 2006 of $40K and one this March at $50K A 25% increase? Big deal! Why don't they quadruple it!?!?! If it's a drop in the bucket they just think of it as a cost of running business. Either up the fines to hurt or ban them out of the business!  :%$#!:

Excellent point- maybe some Canadians need to raise a little he**.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2011, 06:11 PM »
But keep in mind the haulers would not have been breaking the law if the fish had died from the lack of water like they were supposed to. Remember dead Asian carp are legal.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2011, 06:31 PM »
$50 worth of bagged ice would have saved him a a lot of money.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:51 PM »
$50 worth of bagged ice would have saved him a a lot of money.

It would have taken a lot more than $50.00 worth of ice to to do the job for several thousand pounds of fish. There were most likely several compartments. But it have still be cheaper.  ;D  Maybe they couldn't find that much ice at a convenience store or they were afraid to stop in Michigan.  ;)

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Give em the CLINT EASTWOOD TREATMENT  " HANG'EM HIGH "

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Sounds like the fish farmer was just doing business as normal.  Transporting food in the most fresh economical way they think they can.  I don't eat carp, so I wouldn't know.  However all the city slickers I've heard demand that their fish be caught and prepared fresh.  Like icing or freezing it will ruin it.  Maybe the same attitude there. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2011, 05:35 AM »
It would have taken a lot more than $50.00 worth of ice to to do the job for several thousand pounds of fish. There were most likely several compartments. But it have still be cheaper.  ;D  Maybe they couldn't find that much ice at a convenience store or they were afraid to stop in Michigan.  ;)

10-4 on not wanting to stop in Detroit!... but a quick detour into the Duty Free parking lot to make sure the fish were dead before crossing the border would've been a good idea.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Gman64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It Cant Be Time To Go Home I Still Have Bait Left!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2011, 06:12 AM »
Point is they knew it was wrong and most likely know what could happen if they escape into non native waters no excuse.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:07 AM »
but a quick detour into the Duty Free parking lot to make sure the fish were dead before crossing the border would've been a good idea.

The point being missed here is the article said they can survive for 48 hours out of water. I think the drive would have to pull the bathtub plug a bit further back than at the border.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:19 AM »
The point being missed here is the article said they can survive for 48 hours out of water. I think the drive would have to pull the bathtub plug a bit further back than at the border.

My point was to make sure they were dead. Having pulled the plug earlier, and if they were still alive... give them 32 oz. ball peen hammer treatment!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2011, 08:47 PM »
Where were you when they needed ya?  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fish_B4_you_walk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2011, 07:35 AM »
all they should do is put them in salt water before they cross the border.  it doesn't take long for a fresh water fish to die in salt water.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2011, 02:07 PM »
all they should do is put them in salt water before they cross the border.  it doesn't take long for a fresh water fish to die in salt water.

I'm sure you're right but as tough as these fish are I'm not so sure. If these fish can survive out of water for 48 hours and recover...  :o

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2011, 02:35 PM »
The Asian dish calls for live carp on a platter.  There's no sale for a dead carp.  ;D ;D ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.