The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Heater for new ice shack? (pictures of shack)  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Heater for new ice shack? (pictures of shack)
« on: Oct 16, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I started building a new ice shack last spring its 6X8. I built it out of ceder that I cut and sawed. I had it spray foamed by Arctic Sprayfoam Insulation. What great stuff. I know it will heat very easily but I do intend on sleeping in it at times. I have a buddie heater but I would not use it if I were asleep. Any ideas on a good heater?
This is the shack that I am working on

______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
Re: Heater for new ice shack?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2012, 08:12 PM »
I have used my buddy heater many times in my tent while sleeping with out any problems at all.  I know some don't but I know of a few others who have too. Just as safe as a wood stove in my opinion.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2012, 09:41 PM »
if it has a CO alarm, or if you get one to use with it, I wouldn't be too nervous about it. You probably should add an adjustable vent somewhere fairly high to get a little air circulation. The only way I'm aware of to prevent CO issues would be to get something direct vented , like the old Empire wall heaters, that take fresh air and exhaust from outside. ;)
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2012, 09:45 PM »
I sleepn my permy wiht a Buddy heater. If I am not mistaken i think that buddys have a CO detecter built in and will shut down if the CO level gets to high, but I might be roung. I also have a on the wall CO detecter that is just like a smoke detecter and I just think of it as a cheap insurance to life.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2012, 05:28 AM »
Thanks, I over looked the CO detectors. And I do plan on installing two vents in the eves. I will post pics later its quite a shack.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2012, 05:38 AM »
I sleepn my permy wiht a Buddy heater. If I am not mistaken i think that buddys have a CO detecter built in and will shut down if the CO level gets to high, but I might be roung. I also have a on the wall CO detecter that is just like a smoke detecter and I just think of it as a cheap insurance to life.

Buddy heaters DO NOT have a CO detector in them; many, many threads on this to read. They have a low OXYGEN sensor, which will NOT save your life. High levels of CO will still build with the low oxy sensor. Don't sleep in there and trust your life to a Buddy Heater, too many people have and never woke up. Get a good CO detector and stay safe, my friend!!!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2012, 09:37 AM »
Then what heater do you use to trust your life with? I am sorry on my info I new there was some kind of sensor built in them but could not quite remember which one. So Sorry again. And I do have a In home on the wall in my shack as well. Sorry Reb.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:24 AM »
What are you sorry for??? Just wanted to point out to you not to trust your life to a heater, not getting on your case. I use Buddy heaters, too,  but I have a CO detector, too. Buddy heaters shut down with low oxy, they do NOT sound any type of alarm, as they have no type of "alarm"  built in, just a tip-over switch and a low oxy "shut-off" switch. A CO monitor does do an audible alarm. O and CO are measured by far different means; read up on it. As part of being a former Safety Instructor, and a licensed Advanced Emergency Care Instructor, I ran a Buddy heater with and without a CO detector in MY shack...after a friend and I became ill. It was due to high CO levels, yet the heater was still working. Have you ever had to pull a person out of a shack thats died due to CO poisoning??? I have, not a pretty sight, that cherry red skin, especially when it's a FRIEND. Just trying to keep ya safe, no need to jump on me about it! I see too many folks die from trusting a heater to shut off, two guys died in Mid-central Minnesota last year from trusting a heater. Fact.
It's your life; trust it to what you will.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Portland3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:54 AM »
WOOD SOVE!!!!!!
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2012, 01:50 PM »
I started building a new ice shack last spring its 6X8. I built it out of ceder that I cut and sawed. I had it spray foamed by Arctic Sprayfoam Insulation. What great stuff. I know it will heat very easily but I do intend on sleeping in it at times. I have a buddie heater but I would not use it if I were asleep. Any ideas on a good heater?
A vent down low, a vent up high, a good CO Detector and go for it. I have an Empire Direct Vent heater in my wheelhouse, but I still depend on a CO detector and crack a window when I sleep in it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Orbis sells a nice vented wall mount propane heater.  They are safe and very efficient, but are spendy.  I still use a Co detector for any leeks on fitting ext.  At -30 -to -40 I can get two full days on a 20lb tank running my heater, lights and cook stove all plumed into the same tank.  Good luck!
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2012, 05:59 AM »
Orbis sells a nice vented wall mount propane heater.  They are safe and very efficient, but are spendy.  I still use a Co detector for any leeks on fitting ext.  At -30 -to -40 I can get two full days on a 20lb tank running my heater, lights and cook stove all plumed into the same tank.  Good luck!
Thats what I had in mind too that or a alcohol heater.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2012, 07:37 AM »
Just searched Orbis, apparently, no longer built, but still available in places. Several sites are marketing Eskabe as an alternative. the two I saw retailed @ $400 for 8MBU unit
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Turnbuckle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2012, 09:45 AM »

Alcohol works for me, even when it's warm out.  ;)

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Just searched Orbis, apparently, no longer built, but still available in places. Several sites are marketing Eskabe as an alternative. the two I saw retailed @ $400 for 8MBU unit
Eskabe is pretty much the same heater.  I have the 7,000 BTU orbis and the 17,000 BTU Eskabe.  I had the orbis in my 8x12 hard side, but it took too long to heat up when it was cold.  I did spend a weekend at -55 with the orbis and stayed warm with help from Jimmy Beam.  The Eskabe, more than twice the size heats my hard side at the coldest temps and once the shack is warm it stays on low.  The orbis is now in my 4x8 and it works great.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Heater for new ice shack? (pictures of shack)
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:05 PM »
to be honest with ya I would spend my money and buy a top quality sleeping bag and not use a heater, too many things can go wrong with a heater (co2, fire, etc). People camp outside all the time in the winter in tents and leantos I used to do it all the time when I was younger and stayed plenty warm without a heater!  :)
Never Give Up!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:23 PM »
to be honest with ya I would spend my money and buy a top quality sleeping bag and not use a heater, too many things can go wrong with a heater (co2, fire, etc). People camp outside all the time in the winter in tents and leantos I used to do it all the time when I was younger and stayed plenty warm without a heater!  :)

I was thinking a similar thought.

I would get it toasty in there right before going to sleep, turn off the heater then light a 3 wick candle with a metal or glass globe type deal (so nothing can ignite), then crawl into a sleeping bag. A big ole candle SHOULD keep it warm enough till morning.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Fresh air,fresh air,fresh air.Your shack looks air tight,maybe I missed it,but you need a vent for fresh air.My brother and I were both victims of carbon monoxide,I got it worse and if it hadn't been for my dad recessatating me I would not have survived,so trust no heater,install a vent to move fresh air :pinch:

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Alcohol just gives you a false sense of heat. Then after the first bottle you try to walk and fall down. I would stick with Mr. buddy and crack a window.  ;D
Steve

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Fresh air,fresh air,fresh air.Your shack looks air tight,maybe I missed it,but you need a vent for fresh air.My brother and I were both victims of carbon monoxide,I got it worse and if it hadn't been for my dad recessatating me I would not have survived,so trust no heater,install a vent to move fresh air :pinch:
i agree. i have 2 round alum. slated vents for good measure up near the ceiling. even on a windy day you lose very little heat. one on either side of the shack will do the trick. you need some doug w/ that sprayed on insulation because it makes your shack completely airtight. i wouldnt just trust your heater to turn off esp. if youre sleeping in there.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Just get a little wood stove. They are the best IMO. Also I think a shack with a chiminey and smoke coming out just looks cool. ;D

Offline Cut Bait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A Day on the Ice...Priceless
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:18 PM »
A suggestion would check to see how flammable that spray on insulation is before you get a open flame going

Offline Mr. Trout man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:24 AM »
consider putting your vents closer to the floor because CO sinks
GIT-ER-CAUGHT!!!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:47 AM »
consider putting your vents closer to the floor because CO sinks
Thanks I did not konw that  ;)

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:44 AM »
Lets see, lots of things in this thread....  First. 

"Buddy heaters DO NOT have a CO detector in them; many, many threads on this to read. They have a low OXYGEN sensor, which will NOT save your life. High levels of CO will still build with the low oxy sensor. Don't sleep in there and trust your life to a Buddy Heater, too many people have and never woke up. Get a good CO detector and stay safe, my friend!!!!"

While Buddy heaters do not have a CO detector and you shouldn't trust your life to them, and you should get a CO detector, I don't know of anyone that has died of CO poisoning from a buddy heater.  I am certainly not saying there hasn't been, but to imply that lots of people have is probably not true.

Next, good god, just use a match to warm the shack up.  Your shack will be so well insulated it will take almost nothing to heat it up.  Washington County gets cold but not Alaska cold.  My shack is easily heated with a big buddy heater and it is 8x10 with thermoply sides and metal roofing.  You have 3/4" pine with sprayed foam insulation, a wood stove would drive you out of the shack, and I would agree with the flammability questions of the spray foam, I don't know, but I would check on that.  Spending hundreds of dollars on a wall mounted propane heater would be a huge overkill I think.

Finally, do a little more research on where to put the vents, I have read threads with people arguing about CO sinking or rising and where the best place for vents are.  I wouldn't trust a bunch of posters on the internet.

Finally, you have a beautiful shack, great job. 

Offline MEyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:50 AM »
With that spray foam insulation you might be able to get away with a couple good candles and a good sleeping bag to keep up the heat after the buddy heater goes out. :tipup:

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Lets see, lots of things in this thread....  First. 

"Buddy heaters DO NOT have a CO detector in them; many, many threads on this to read. They have a low OXYGEN sensor, which will NOT save your life. High levels of CO will still build with the low oxy sensor. Don't sleep in there and trust your life to a Buddy Heater, too many people have and never woke up. Get a good CO detector and stay safe, my friend!!!!"

While Buddy heaters do not have a CO detector and you shouldn't trust your life to them, and you should get a CO detector, I don't know of anyone that has died of CO poisoning from a buddy heater.  I am certainly not saying there hasn't been, but to imply that lots of people have is probably not true.

Next, good god, just use a match to warm the shack up.  Your shack will be so well insulated it will take almost nothing to heat it up.  Washington County gets cold but not Alaska cold.  My shack is easily heated with a big buddy heater and it is 8x10 with thermoply sides and metal roofing.  You have 3/4" pine with sprayed foam insulation, a wood stove would drive you out of the shack, and I would agree with the flammability questions of the spray foam, I don't know, but I would check on that.  Spending hundreds of dollars on a wall mounted propane heater would be a huge overkill I think.

Finally, do a little more research on where to put the vents, I have read threads with people arguing about CO sinking or rising and where the best place for vents are.  I wouldn't trust a bunch of posters on the internet.

Finally, you have a beautiful shack, great job.
Thanks,your right there is some concerns and some more research to be done. The shack will heat very easily and many heaters would be over kill. I was told about this one yesterday
http://www.nuwaystove.com/model2000.php
I dint see mention of a thermos stat that's key to comfort. But the price is right.
These are some other great options
http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/wilderness_shanty_wood_stove.html
http://www.walltentshop.com/Riley.html

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:07 AM »
If your using propane make sure you get a direct vent or your gonna be fighting the moisture.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:09 AM »
A suggestion would check to see how flammable that spray on insulation is before you get a open flame going
Very flammable. Gone are the days of spray and run in homes in Maine. Now you have to cover the stuff.
I'd go the sleeping bag route. People winter camp in thin nylon tents with good bags. I'm sure an insulated shack and a good bag would feel like a dream to them.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:14 AM »
The problem with any wood stove is going to be it is on or off, no thermostat.  If you plan on sleeping in it, you have to light it to get it to warm up, then you will be so hot you will open the doors etc.  My guess is a buddy heater would be just what you need.  Get the camp good and warm before you go to bed, then shut it off.  My guess is you are so well insulated your body heat will keep the shack warm enough for hours.  If you wake up cold, just turn on the heater for a bit until you warm up again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.