Author Topic: Birch Point  (Read 4854 times)

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Birch Point
« Reply #30 on: Mar 18, 2015, 10:35 PM »
If you want, I can give up to the minute updates if I have service or in the evening when we get back to cabin.
we're hunting monster pike & last resort is the sandbar but doubt that will happen

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 18, 2015, 10:40 PM »
? 36 inchs ? that must be at reed then as it was a lot deeper at the front of Buffalo , thinking of going Saturday ,and Sunday , is it shorter to poplar from birch then Buffalo ? I saw tons of trucks crossing over at Buffalo on Sunday? Was at Birch as well on Sunday , but being alone and the heat waves shimmering on the horizon didn't allow me to see anyone so I opted for Buffalo ....Cell service is great on the lake  ,MTS is full power there ? but on the highway it's American service ? Cliff right ? 
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 19, 2015, 12:04 AM »
When I was saying 36 that was solid blue ice not the total ice.
Poplar is a bit closer to Buffalo than birch.
It is farther to Reed from Buffalo than Birch but the drive is easier from Buffalo even though long way around. We're staying at Buffalo cabins so 7 mile drive across the ice to Reed but easy drive this year.
Hope to meet you out tthere! !!!!!
Come join us!

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Well we went , caught a few in our shack , lost the biggest Perch we had ever seen , buddy figured for sure near or on the 15 inch mark ! But for us it was a rather slow day .Buddies about twenty feet over had a awesome day ?? They ended up with 8 awesome eaters in the 20 inch range , they caught a couple of perch which they kindly gave to me .....thanks .....but for what ever reason they just had constant action , lost far more then they caught , and some that they got up to the hole were Giants according to them .That was where the problem was though , we notice that half way through the ice we started getting water mixed in with the ice ?? and when we got close to punching through the ice broke and left jagged edges that we lost fish to as did they , they even had there line pulled into the cracks below water while fighting those big ones .When we drove on there was a gap of about 20 or more inch's wide that we drove around ......watched some guys come sailing onto the ice and drive right over it , one guys trailer was air born for a few seconds ?? further on there were a few more cracks that were open , but only a few inch's so we just drove over those .All day there was cracking so after 7 we decided we would leave as it had been a few hours since we had even had a nibble and not wanting to all of a sudden find that the crack bad opened further , but all that noise all day had been the ice dropping and the cracks were solid and a bit lifted . All in all a good day other then a lot of Razor activity which got old real quick ........but the fat lady has sung and although I had contemplated going back today I have opted to bow and say farewell till next year . :tipup:

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Rumour has it that a 55" sturgeon was caught at the sand bar on the weekend.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Friends son caught a 45 incher a few years back .............it happens , just don't know what's all cruising around down there

Offline mark007b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:27 PM »
U may be correct Dr. Funk. I saw a pic today of a guy holding a monster sturgeon caught at buffalo over the weekend just didn't say where in buffalo. Story is 4 hours on 8 pound mono line. Guy is from Emerson I believe. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.