Author Topic: Electric Ice Augers  (Read 2176 times)

Offline mmmskids

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric Ice Augers
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Has anyone given an electric ice auger a true Big Windy test. I'd be interested to know how it performs with an extension and 40 inches of ice, cold windy days, overnight storage in the cold, etc. Feedback would be much appreciated. ::)

Offline mmmskids

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Electric Ice Augers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2015, 05:23 PM »
It would appear by the number of replies that the electric ice auger has not been hit with fishermen on the Big Windy... :'(

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2015, 07:01 PM »
There was  a post on Facebook from Scott brewer, he was just up using the ion on the lake. 20-25 holes on a full charge.

Offline clm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2015, 10:27 AM »
We were up there two weeks ago and brought an Ion with an extension.   My buddy has one also and let us borrow his battery, so we had two with us at all times, although the second one was never needed.   The most holes we drilled in one day was right at twenty.  I suspect if he we had drilled many more, we would have needed the second battery.   I was very impressed with the auger and it exceeded my expectations.    I actually had my strikemaster along as well, just in case the electric didn't hold up.   It was very nice to get out and immediately begin drilling holes.   We just kept the batteries in the shack with us so they stayed warm all day and didn't give us any trouble.

Offline fiveontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:37 AM »
used the ION a couple of times this winter, real nice auger, we tested against a Eskimo, electric was quicker, that was with the gas already running, would by one no problem

Offline mnhunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Fished Lake Winnipeg 3/22 for 4 days and had good luck with my 8" Ion auger, just made it thru with a couple inches to spare with the extension on, didn't run out of battery but kind of a pain keeping the battery warm.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Fished Lake Winnipeg 3/22 for 4 days and had good luck with my 8" Ion auger, just made it thru with a couple inches to spare with the extension on, didn't run out of battery but kind of a pain keeping the battery warm.
            Has anyone tried leaving out in the cold??

Offline bigman from the north

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:27 PM »
i just leave my ion out on the ice all day with battery in place no issues yet , most holes in one day about 12 to 14 in 4' of ice , and the ion is actually 7" flight

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.