Author Topic: New Laker Setup  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
New Laker Setup
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Can’t wait to try it:

Who knows what show I’ve been watching??  ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Laker Setup
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Interesting I ve had really good luck with 3 inch gulp I use that more than tubes

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Plastics!!!  Ya gotta try the berkley ripple shad.  The tail action drives em nuts on the retrieve (or drop). I usually switch to gulp in the PM when the bite gets finicky. Whats the weight on those jig heads they look nice.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Plastics!!!  Ya gotta try the berkley ripple shad.  The tail action drives em nuts on the retrieve (or drop). I usually switch to gulp in the PM when the bite gets finicky. Whats the weight on those jig heads they look nice.
Yeah, gotta love the Gulp!  I’ll look into the ripple shad.

These heads are 1/4 oz, not sure if you can see they have a small blade attached too, for some flash.  And Gammie hooks!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline cbrines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:40 PM »
As soon as I saw that episode of UA, I bought those jerk shad and the Reel Bait jig heads. I've caught some lakers on them, but nothing large... Yet.

Offline SoxFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Those look like they would work well for lake trout.

Offline bouldertrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:50 PM »
Did you get the idea from this video?

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Did you get the idea from this video?

That’s the one, Cbrines mentioned it first.  That guy has some great tips and techniques.  Also really makes me want to move to Manitoba.  ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:15 PM »
  Also really makes me want to move to Manitoba.  ;D
We know that it's just laker madness talking but it's worth saving up your pennies to fund a fly-in trip to one of those Manitoba or Ontario outpost lodges at some point in one's life.  Catch fish until your arm gives out. But, of course, there are also honking lakers to be had at Blue Mesa, Flaming Gorge and others nearer to hand. And as you well know, there are some respectable walleye/saugeye in Colorado and Wyoming that are underfished. Big perch and crappie maybe a little dicier. Just saying what you already know.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Dug up that video last night after seeing his post.  Im ready to go laker fishing!!!  I kinda (really) want a camera now too.  Pretty neat how just one big rock on relatively flat bottom can give your flasher a 14" dead zone with lakers swarming under the radar.   There are both numbers and size to be had in Granby, but you cant really spot hop without a machine (and gps), too much snow.  Most people are gonna be happy to ice 4 or 5 off the popular spots, which IMO is poor laker fishing.  Takes half to a full decade of knowledge to be able to put up double digits consistently, but people do it on granby (I am def not one, yet) Time for me to put away the perch rod, laker time!   

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Wow, What a great video!!! He for sure had a long day. I've watched a couple other episodes of his, they are all pretty good! Loved the melting of the snow to clear the ice, might have to give this set-up a go, all thought the usual tube jig has never really let me down.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Perch madness till its done, then Boating for wallys! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline bouldertrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Bigassbassman, I am curious to find out what your experience is using this setup. I actually bought/prepared the same (with 3/8 jig) but didn't get the chance to try it the one time I could make it to Granby a few weeks ago.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Wow, What a great video!!! He for sure had a long day. I've watched a couple other episodes of his, they are all pretty good!
I agree, Johnny they are fun to watch. Good info, too!
Perch madness till its done, then Boating for wallys! ;D
With this week’s weather probably have another week of Perch madness!!

Bigassbassman, I am curious to find out what your experience is using this setup.
I’ll report back when I get a chance to try it!  If perch madness is still around this coming weekend, I may be trying it out for the first time a little far from home in March...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That’s why they call it fishing.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Awesome video, funny too. Totally relate to pull starting a Yamaha in -40, cold blooded and hard pulling machines. Fishing in Ontario is off the chart. Did two fly in trips back in the late 80s, fishing for pike and walleye phenomenal. I haven’t done much fishing for BigMacs but have recently geared up to give it a serious go.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Awesome video, funny too. Totally relate to pull starting a Yamaha in -40, cold blooded and hard pulling machines.
Reminds me of our old early '70's Arctic Cat Panther. I was 12 and my dad's rule was "if you want to ride it alone, you have to start it alone" -20 on the Iron Range in northern Minnesota. I figured out ways to make that happen!!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Went out on Granby yesterday.  Got out about a mile from sunset. Marked a ton of fish in various locations, only could get 4 to commit.  Plastics were not doin it, even when tipped.  Got them all on a shiver minnow (jig rap knock off) with nothing else on it, all on the drop phase of the jig.   If I could ever figure out how to consistently get the fish I mark to eat the bait things will be grand.   Biggest was 22, but marked a few that appeared of the larger variety.  Ice was in great shape, 12", no slush, it all froze up.  2-5" of snow cover.  Long term forecast looks very favorable fpr good March ice. Goal for this weekend: get my new to me 1997 polaris RMK running.  Got er for $250 from a good friend, but shes all dried up think i need a few drop drops of gasoline in the cylinder.. and a bunch of gorilla tape on the seat

Offline bouldertrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Tim, I am planning to give Granby another try this weekend (last ice fishing trip of the season for me). Any suggestions as to which areas/depths I should try?  I fished dike 3 area about a month ago but the bites were really quick and isolated as opposed to light and rather continuous.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2018, 10:19 PM »
Tim, I am planning to give Granby another try this weekend (last ice fishing trip of the season for me). Any suggestions as to which areas/depths I should try?  I fished dike 3 area about a month ago but the bites were really quick and isolated as opposed to light and rather continuous.

I am by no means an expert or even novice on granby, can hardly put together a 5 fish day.  I have noticed this year though that bc the water is only 10 or 12ft low that many of the underwater ridge lines (nortons, fords, the castle west of deer island, dike 3 ridge, inspiration ridge) are in that 50-70FOW range that i like to fish, whereas in previous years the tops of the ridges were only 20 or 30ft deep so id fish the base.  I dont usually go deeper than 80 or 90FOW but prefer to fish 50-70 as thats where i mark the most fish.  If you dont have the fish n maps Granby contour map i highly recommend, has all the major structure labeled with GPS points.  It can be ordered for under $20 from fish n maps website. Theres a ton of structure in granby, the map can be a game changer.  Good luck to ya im gonna get back out there monday or tuesday weather looks to be pretty sweet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.