Author Topic: A chance to buy a Eskimo 6 inch silver tip auger question?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi,

I can buy a used Eskimo silver tip auger for 20 bucks does any one know will it fit a clam plate with no modifications and can you use lazer blades in place of eskimo brand? looks like there may be a difference between 2013 and 2016 models?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A chance to buy a Eskimo 6 inch silver tip auger question?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Ok no difference between the 2013 and 2016 model. I thought someone said they were the same as a strikemaster blade wise. I have not seen it yet but the 6 inch does not have the brace bars on the bottom does it?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Ok no difference between the 2013 and 2016 model. I thought someone said they were the same as a strikemaster blade wise. I have not seen it yet but the 6 inch does not have the brace bars on the bottom does it?

Correct.

Yes strikemaster lazer blades should work on it. The 6in curved blade augers do not have brace bars. They start putting brace bars on 7in + auger sizes.

Yes it will fit on a clam plate with no modifications. You will want a clam plate extension or a strikemaster extension, because it's a pretty short auger on a clam plate with out it. If you have a choice, get the clam plate extension because it has different height intervals you can put the auger at.....kinda like on the hand auger. 

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Thank You so much Could not find it searching thanks again.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:26 AM »
I have the 6" Silvertip and it fits on my Mini Nero Extension. I haven't bought the Lazer blades for mine but might do that this year. I will also try it out on my Drill for the first time this year.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Well I got it today looks good hope it works faster than my K drill may look for the mora style Eskimo to.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Well I got it today looks good hope it works faster than my K drill may look for the mora style Eskimo to.

When we get closer to ice a lot of people will be selling old hand augers for cheap on Craigslist. They use to last forever on Craigslist, but with the drill setups they have became a hot commodity. A flat blade shaver sells for $40 new on Amazon, so my rule of thumb is never pay more then 1/2 of new price......because blades would need touched up or sharpened on the used one.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2018, 08:38 AM »
That's good advice. I laugh when some people at sales have an old Mora for 25 bucks No cover that's 10-15 bucks there then blades for 25-30 bucks plus it usually has sat in a shed for years. Yeah right I'll buy a new one for 50 bucks. Good advice sometimes you get lucky and find a good one.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:31 PM »
That's good advice. I laugh when some people at sales have an old Mora for 25 bucks No cover that's 10-15 bucks there then blades for 25-30 bucks plus it usually has sat in a shed for years. Yeah right I'll buy a new one for 50 bucks. Good advice sometimes you get lucky and find a good one.

Yep. My 6in lazer off Craigslist was $20 in mint condition with sharp blades cover and all.

Simple shaver blades for the mora run more $10-$15. But yeah I've seen them price for $25-$30. If you need some shaver blades look on eBay. I got a set of new old stock mora blades for $8 last year. What's crazy is the new old stock are actually the better sweeden stamped blades. They just don't come in the fancy plastic box like the new style ones do.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Augers here in mi are a dime a dozen..ive bought at least 35 augers most with good blades for 3 to 5 bucks at yard sales..at that price i can get new blades for them if needed..lately ive been passing on the ones that are beat and have rusty blades.almost all of them are missing blade covers tho..last one just a few weeks ago i bought was a 5” lazer in box for $3.after getting it home i looked in the box and there was a spare new set of blades!!score!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Augers here in mi are a dime a dozen..ive bought at least 35 augers most with good blades for 3 to 5 bucks at yard sales..at that price i can get new blades for them if needed..lately ive been passing on the ones that are beat and have rusty blades.almost all of them are missing blade covers tho..

The missing blade cover isn't so bad though. Since they are junk. I think a guy is better off using PVC and bungie cord making your own like members on here have done. I'm really suprised cold snap hasn't made a good rubber cover to put on the mora style yet.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:41 PM »
I hear you.blade cover straps bust all the time and the others with plastic strap bust off.i find alot of auger covers on the lakes that guys lose because of a strap or buckle broke.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Any pics of the pvc and bungee that sounds like a great idea. You are correct blades are a little cheaper around here about 20 bucks. I miss quoted by mistake ;)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Any pics of the pvc and bungee that sounds like a great idea. You are correct blades are a little cheaper around here about 20 bucks. I miss quoted by mistake ;)

Here is an old thread with a pic of one.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=359102.0

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Great ideas thank you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.