Author Topic: Taking daughter for her first time  (Read 587 times)

Offline Iceaddict82

• IceShanty Rookie
Taking daughter for her first time
« on: Jul 30, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Ok I've read alot of threads about ice safety and taking your kids out. My question is how do I make her feel safe when she's out? She's 8 and knows that me and several of the guys I fish with are safe.( We don't go out on less than 6 inches, we are big boys lol) she said last year she would go but the morning of, she chickened out and stayed home. I wasn't going to force her into doing something she doesn't want to, but she enjoys open water fishing, and think she would enjoy hardwater too. I thought about letting her wear her lifejacket if it would help, but afraid it wouldn't fit over her winter clothes or the clothes wouldn't fit over the jacket. Help!!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Taking daughter for her first time
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2016, 05:36 PM »
maybe get a life jacket now that will fit if that what the phobia is... also have you asked her what the phobia of going was is it falling threw? or is it just never been out and scared  of going ... but any way always makes for some good daddy daughter time when they get out ice fishing...   also what about bring her and a friend for some fishing? maybe she's worried you would notice she's bored and decided not to go bring the friend father along to make it a kids/guys day out... then they can play as long as they want but for sure don't make them stay if their cold or wet from playing in the snow.. just suggestions...     

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Do whatever it takes to make her feel comfortable the first time out.  Once she realizes it's "really safe", she'll bag the life jacket, etc.  Ease her in and she'll be fine after. 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2016, 06:11 PM »
Have all the safety gear (picks, throw bag, pfd) available just in case but maybe start her close to a boat ramp or another area she might have waded into during the summer trips.  Knowing she has shallow water under the ice might build confidence after a trip or two.  Bobber fishing for stocker rainbows or pannies here in CO can be pretty good right off the bank.  I lost my best pike in years on a tip up lat January.  It wasn't 10 feet off the bank.  Lots of hot chocolate and snacks too.  Good luck.

Offline Iceaddict82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Chilly, one time it's falling through, next time you ask it's just scared. She's definitely daddy's girl, my little Tom girl lol. The day I was taking her, grandpa was already out making sure the fish were biting to keep her interested. Had a snacks and hot chocolate but didn't think about a friend. I don't care if I even wet a line that day, as long as she has fun.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2016, 07:57 PM »
does she ice skate? if so, take her skating on the pond. That way, she'll get comfortable on pond ice. Then, bring some ice fishing gear "just to try it out"

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Chilly, one time it's falling through, next time you ask it's just scared. She's definitely daddy's girl, my little Tom girl lol. The day I was taking her, grandpa was already out making sure the fish were biting to keep her interested. Had a snacks and hot chocolate but didn't think about a friend. I don't care if I even wet a line that day, as long as she has fun.

Find one of her friends that have gone ice  fishing even if it's a boy get her comfortable with going out and tell her to stay close by so you can keep a good eye on her and do some shallow water skating and snow angel making or snow castles etc.. come up with a daily plan to keep her busy  also get some food coloring add it to some unfrozen water then tell her to paint her snow castle... etc fun little stuff they can do till comfortable with the ice but for sure ware a pfd and so should she...then after that ask her if she want to go fishing and let her know she can bring friends or just that daddy daughter time.. try not to bring up the falling threw parts I know my brother is a hypochondriac and is afraid to go to the doctors cause of this.. saying tumors etc and he curls up in the fetal position and crys till its over why I don't know like said it better to not let him or people know stuff like that some times cause it makes it worst.. my brother that I do ice fish with heard the pressure cracks one night.. and the first words out of his mouth was is that normal I came close to telling him no but remembered he is a hypochondriac lol's but any way easy her in to it I am sure she will enjoy it and keep a close eye on them and her friend..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2016, 10:20 PM »
maybe a couple of things. first, teach her how to get out if she were to fall in. should know how at any age if your going to risk it on ice.

second, keep her in the shallows where you can tell her if she does go in she can stand up, so she can get used to being on it. you don't have to fish to get her acclimated to ice. just walk around and teach her things about being on it and what it might be like after she is ready to try fishing on it next. get a spud or stick and teach her how to listen to ice when hitting it for the different sounds and what to listen for if it's bad ice and good ice.

get her cleats of some kind so she is knows she is safer walking on it as far as slipping and busting her head.

ask her if tying a rope around the both of you would make her feel safer.

take her to the lake when others are on it and talk to her about what she is seeing while staying on shore. let her decide when it's time to walk onto it, but have her there often.

ask her if she has heard of bad things from others being on ice and if so, explain why those things could have been avoided and how. maybe explain those things anyway after she gets used to being on it.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Both of my girls started out there at 3 years old. I just put them in a sled and pulled them out there. No big fuss or talk about it. Brought plenty of snacks. Keep it short. Even if the fish are biting. Also what worked good to keep them occupied was to bring out a clean 2 liter clear pop bottle. Put some lake water in it and then some minnows. Sort of a portable fish tank. One of my girls is now 15 and loves to ice fish and does better than most of the guys. She still gets bored with it after a while. So I keep my trips with her shorter than if its just me. My other one is 19 and I barley can get her to go anymore. With work and a social life, dad and ice fishing don't rate to high at the moment. Ether way it goes enjoy your time on the ice with her. It goes by fast. At least for dads.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Iceaddict82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2016, 08:51 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice! And yes it does goes by way to fast! Seems like yesterday she was 4, and here in a few weeks starts 3 grade.😭

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2016, 10:07 AM »
Life Jacket is a great idea ...and something she is all ready familiar with from open water season ...I would take her on a trip to the bait shop ..and experience ice fishing from beginning to end ...keep her focused on the days fun ...kids can get pretty bored...when my buddies kid was younger we use to bring a kite ....lota times just tied it to the ATV .. keep'em well fed and warm . Good Luck and enjoy.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.