New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339103 times)

Offline mercrat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #1290 on: Mar 02, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Any updates on Vet's conditions, heading there tomorrow.

Offline DShooo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1291 on: Mar 02, 2013, 03:54 PM »
If you don't want the fish release them back into the water.. or give them to somebody fishing next to you.  What a waste and upsetting scenerio when I go on the ice and see gils etc left on the ice that people did not want. Catch and release in grease or back in the lake.... Oh and about the garbage that was left next to the fish you left!!! Grrrrr

Agreed..lots of gils laying around at Vets.
I'd rather be fishing...

Offline fishjerk47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1292 on: Mar 02, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Ice good out toward NW bay for at least 1/2 mi. 71/2 and up.  Dont know toward pt of tongue. open water. fishing was terrible.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1293 on: Mar 02, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Shoreline access is getting smaller. 6" of ice on average in the bigger part of the bay and less as you go further out.

Offline Mourning after

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1294 on: Mar 02, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Anyone hear of a couple of people going through???

Offline fishjerk47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1295 on: Mar 02, 2013, 06:57 PM »
any help with hearthstone? ice thickness in area. bringing snowmobile.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1296 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Anyone hear of a couple of people going through???

it wouldn't surprise me

i drilled 8 inches or so every hole today but the auger went through the ice much easier than a week ago so the warm weather has definitely weakened the ice .....  the chips of ice coming out of the hole before you hit water were soaking wet too

i hear a fat lady warming up her vocal cords  :-\
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1297 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:20 PM »
it wouldn't surprise me

i drilled 8 inches or so every hole today but the auger went through the ice much easier than a week ago so the warm weather has definitely weakened the ice .....  the chips of ice coming out of the hole before you hit water were soaking wet too

i hear a fat lady warming up her vocal cords  :-\
not the report i wanted to hear,was hoping to get back on george next weekend hope the ice holds out just a bit longer

Offline jperson22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1298 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Just to let all u know I fished Lake George for the first time year and i love the place i am big Lake Trout guy and ive been fishing off of Vet Park for the past two weeks and caught 5 keepers one was 29 my pr for sure and  caught on a jig pole to boot awsome fight!! what are some other really good spots to fish for lakers ? Or another thing i heard people catch nice salmon out there just wondering were abouts and what bait?Suckers and hunts seem to be the best ive been using for Lakers thats for sure. O and all the people ive met out there have been really cool one guy even stopped and told me were to really hit the lakers and gave me a white tube to use to jig with and everything. ;D

But the main reason i was posting was to let u all know i let my old man know about the lake today and he parked at Vet park ..when he back to the truck he realized someone had tried to brake into the truck with a pry bar, bent the suicide door out so air even gets through, everyone keep there eyes out fisherman should all work together to make sure this scumbag gets caught and keep eyes open!!

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1299 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Fished Blairs Bay.  10-11" ice everywhere I drilled. Caught 7 lakers, kept 2 for the table.  Only about 5 or so others out.  Ice should be good for another week or two.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1300 on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:07 PM »
How they bitin?

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1301 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:09 AM »
same with hearthstone ice should be good for another week or two... slushy nasty shoreline but there is lots of ice even as you go out farther

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1302 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:13 AM »
same with hearthstone ice should be good for another week or two... slushy nasty shoreline but there is lots of ice even as you go out farther
hows that ice holding up though,is it starting to get soft or is starting to honeycomb

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1303 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:16 AM »
its softer toward shore but not too bad i shouldve took a pic i walked about 1/4 mile out and it was 9 inches or so seemed pretty safe

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1304 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:18 AM »
hows that ice holding up though,is it starting to get soft or is starting to honeycomb

it is soft for sure .....   as i said earlier it is dramatically easier to drill through

and  ....  it is full of water if that makes sense? ...  normally when you drill holes you get white ice chips which get soaked when you break through to water ....  well yesterday i stopped halfway to water and all of the chips were soaking wet and it was just a big pile of slush

that has to be a sign of weakened ice i would believe

i would imagine if we had a 10 degree night it would help but i don't see any of those in the forecast

can you say ....  STRIPER TIME  ;D

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1305 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:30 AM »
i didnt notice the ice chips but with as much ice as they're is i feel safe enough.... at hearthstone anyways im done fishing FAB too sketchy on that part of the lake... im still gonna be fishing vets, bixby, and heart, this week i will keep everyone posted

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1306 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:40 AM »
cool thanx,you'll know when the ice gets real bad when you cut a hole and its not a smooth round hole it will be all jagged and instead of chips you get ice chunks when you drill, a spud isn't a bad idea either.better safe than sorry on that lake,i found out the hard way

Offline SnotCicle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1307 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Hey all you laker guys. 307's having a sale and I want to get set up with a good laker jigging rod and reel for next season. I would appreciate any suggestions... I've never jigged lakers before. By the way, fished harris Saturday for perch. Lots of fish around but they were very finicky. Plenty of good sized sunfish though.
Stay Frosty

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1308 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:34 PM »
i like a 36" medium or heavy rod,for the real i love my shimano sieana 2500 spooled up with 150 yrd 8# mono,im sure your going to get a variety of answers some of the guys i fish with use a lot lighter gear and some use heavier gear its all in what you like and are comfortable with.it is good though to have a rod with a little back bone when using lighter line to get good hook sets

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1309 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:24 PM »
I agree with the previous posts that the most important thing is the reel. I also use shimano sedona reels cause you cant beat their smooth drag. Most of myy lakers are accidental while jigging perch but the little 500 and 750's with 4# test have held up well.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1310 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:00 PM »
got a new tube jig it a little white grubby looking thing gonna go try it out at hearthstone soon probly tues or wednesday pm me if anyone wants to meet up

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1311 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:41 PM »
How is the ice up around the Hague?  Thinking about a trip on Wednesday.  Any info would be appreciated.

Offline fishnfid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1312 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Just to let all u know I fished Lake George for the first time year and i love the place i am big Lake Trout guy and ive been fishing off of Vet Park for the past two weeks and caught 5 keepers one was 29 my pr for sure and  caught on a jig pole to boot awsome fight!! what are some other really good spots to fish for lakers ? Or another thing i heard people catch nice salmon out there just wondering were abouts and what bait?Suckers and hunts seem to be the best ive been using for Lakers thats for sure. O and all the people ive met out there have been really cool one guy even stopped and told me were to really hit the lakers and gave me a white tube to use to jig with and everything. ;D

But the main reason i was posting was to let u all know i let my old man know about the lake today and he parked at Vet park ..when he back to the truck he realized someone had tried to brake into the truck with a pry bar, bent the suicide door out so air even gets through, everyone keep there eyes out fisherman should all work together to make sure t
his scumbag gets caught and keep eyes open!!

Its ben a problem there for years ,park near where you walk down to the ice

Offline wildbrookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1313 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:11 PM »

I feel bad for your father Fishnfid...but,unfortunately,there are more scumbags out there than we think..I got broken into about 10 years ago at Million Dollar Beach parking lot..they stole a lot of gear....being it was an over niter trip..they took all my luggage/duffle bags,etc..which had not only clothes but a nice old 35 mm camera that was given to me from my deceased Uncle...precious stuff that can not be replaced ,especially, the pictures on the film!!..if I ever caught those hoods ,it would`ve been ugly..!!!..Keep eyes open for each other!!

WB

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1314 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:04 PM »
A buddy of mine has fished the"king" severel times and asked me if I wanted to make a trip up this past saturday with him. I've never fished it, nor have I caught a laker through the ice. Well the day started out slow, two flags both bump and runs. So we drilled and moved out further than our tip up's, found some hot holes jigged up some perch and then was slow for most of the mid day after. Seeing I have caught lakers in the summer at my camp in canada using spoon's and tube jig's I brought some along, well no luck jigging them up! But I did happen to land my first laker throught the ice on the "king" my first time out on my line of tip ups. It was a great day and to think I almost said no to the trip. Here are some photos.   -OLC

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #1315 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Covered alot of the southern basin of the lake with fontana19 and other friends both days this weekend.   Used the quad, explored tons of water from Hearthstone on up to almost to cotton point area.   Lakers were biting OK, nothing great, but plenty each day to keep us occupied.   Lots of perch too.   Was pretty disappointed to see some big piles of nice sunfish left scattered about the ice in one area. >:(   Kind of a waste....total scumbag move by someone....but they did indicate a new perch spot for us.  If the folks that left those sunfish on the ice a little ways up from hearthstone are reading this, sucks for you, cause I'm gonna give the gps coordinates to all my buddies....     Brought home 35 9"+ yesturday in about an hour and a half of fishing.

Offline duckman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1316 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:41 AM »
The sunnys taste just like perch when fileted.

Offline SnotCicle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1317 on: Mar 04, 2013, 09:01 AM »
Thanks Mealworm and Jigshimmer. Headed to 307 tonight with your advice in mind ;D
Stay Frosty

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1318 on: Mar 04, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I caught a couple big sunnies yesterday at Vets.
I consider them a bonus when I've got a limit of perch in the bucket. That's 104 fillets instead of 100.  ;D

Worth noting. Someone got a wet leg walking off Vets yesterday. There was a hole near shore that wasn't there in the morning. Access is dwindling quick down there, but we should be able to get on for another week or so.

Are any of you guys showing up to the gathering this weekend? Million Dollar Beach Saturday morning. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1319 on: Mar 04, 2013, 09:25 AM »
I plan on going to the gathering Saturday. Gonna try to give away a new hand auger while there. And as far as someone going through at Hearthstone i was one of them yesterday morning at the shoreline. One leg up to my knee then hopped out real quick but the right boot got a little warter in it. That sucked. Still fished all day with one 26 incher on tip up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.