The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy lightning auger  (Read 2621 times)

Gillles

Jiffy lightning auger
« on: Jan 04, 2004, 10:52 PM »
I just bought a jiffy legend lightning stealth auger, I was wondering if anyone who has this auger would like to comment on its stengths or weeknesses?  And I'm also trying to figure out what gas and oil mixture to use?

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Jiffy lightning auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 05:37 AM »
read the operator's manual,if not it will void the warranty.you want oil with NMMA TC-WII OR TC-W3  the gas just plane old regular, shell gas is what i use not much alcohol.good luck with what ever you do.
walk the hard water side.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 09:21 AM »
I have one and love it.  It cuts like butter, especially with the Stealth blade.  I mix 11 ounces of oil to 2 gallons of gas,  Make sure you get the best grade of gas you can get.  I use 94 octane and I also use a little Sea-Foam addiitive.  It is a stabilizer and it keeps the carb from gumming up.  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Gillles

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2004, 09:52 AM »
Thanks for the info. Icenutter, can I find the sea foam additive at any store?  I should have included that I got the 2hp 8" blade.  Is there anything special that I should do to break it in, I've heard running it at 1/3 throtle for about 1/2hour without the blade helps out for some reason.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2004, 10:14 AM »
I also have the 2 hp.  The papers that came with the auger said nothing about breakin in.  I did mix mine a little richer the first couple tanks to get more lubrication.  You should be able to find Sea-Foam anywhere exepcially where boat products are sold.  It comes in an aluminum can and has red print.  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Gillles

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:37 PM »
Thanks again.. I can't wait to try it out.  

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:49 PM »
Aaaaahhh, the beauty of power ice holes!   ;D  Less time cutting, more time fishing!  24:1  or 5 ounces to 1 gallon of your favorite gasoline.  I put a dab of "Stabil" in my can also in case the gas sits for awhile.  Good drillin to ya.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2004, 04:28 PM »
You should be looking at your owners manual, and I know "men don't need instructions or directions", but with a new warranty you should. Make sure before you add anything other than oil to your gas that it won't void your warranty. I use Stabile every time I mix gas and I always use the best oil and fuel money can buy. Drilling ice is very demanding on you and your equipment treat it well and you'll enjoy many years of enjoyment. Be safe and have fun!

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2004, 06:22 PM »
I have an older Jiffy 3HP, it has a chart on the tank, I believe (I'm not going out to check) its 5oz to the gallon. IOW, 24-1. I used to add Stabil, but now all the better 2stroke oils have the fuel stablilizer added already, (read the label to make sure yours does). I have been useing the hand auger so far this year, but I got the old Jiffy out today and gassed it up and it started on the 2nd pull, its about 15 years old, weighs a ton, but couldnt be more dependable.

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:02 PM »
I fish with the jiffy lightning as well, can't believe that I ever fished with out it! Deadly light and fast can't be beat. I believe that it is 24:1 ratio.
good choice and good fishin'
Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.