The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: got a new auger  (Read 1683 times)

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
got a new auger
« on: Jan 04, 2004, 06:47 PM »
Just wondered if anyone here uses a laser ultra mag. I've never used a power auger before but now is the time.
gettin to old to hand crank.
 Anyway I was at cabalas and the guy their said that I will absolutly love the new 3 blade ultra, plus its pretty light 22lbs, so reluctantly I spent the money and bought it. Any tips or suggestions welcomed

thanks

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:got a new auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2004, 06:54 PM »
The 3 blade auger is a good one for re-opening shanty holes. Should be a little easier on your back and arms.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2004, 07:27 PM »
Safety first.....keep your feet and legs a little back from the screw and make sure you don't have anything hanging off of you...no straps, laces ,scarves...nothing.  There's a right and a wrong way to hold the thing...you should have a kill switch right at your fingertips.  If you don't it's backwards..stop and turn it around.  Back in '79 or '80 a young man I worked with managed to kill himself with one of these things...IM me if you want the gory story.  That's my advice, be careful with the gas too, then go out and have all the fun you can...tight lines
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2004, 07:34 PM »
Dont fill the gas tank too high! I try to stop at the leveled line (youll see what I mean when you get it) If you do fill it on the high side, when you go to open the vent screw, and run it spits gas out,  and runs down the tank or on your clothes! Gas augers are worth it, you may find yourself catching more fish because you will be more willing to drill more holes! tight lines....

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2004, 05:47 AM »
buzzbomb you are right,it is easy to forget when you are in a hury to get all your hole's drilled.thankx for the reminder.
walk the hard water side.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2004, 09:34 AM »
A buddy of mine got one of those last year. It's a very nice auger, fast, light, easy to use.   You may have a little trouble getting used to the 9" hole, if you drop anything you know where is going to go!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.