The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Black Friday Drills?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Black Friday Drills?
« on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:24 PM »
I've been using an 8" strikemaster lazer hand auger for 5 years with good success but I'm due for an upgraded drill for some upcoming projects soooo -

1) It seems like it's been about a year since the great drill debate was had on ice shanty.  Is the Milwaukee Fuel (1200 in lb torque) still considered the top option?  There seem to be some people in favor of the Ridgid brand as well.

2) If I downsize my hand auger to a 7" can I get a slightly less expensive drill?

If you can point me to current discussions on the topic I'd appreciate it (though it appears that most discussions are dealing with last year's models).

Go below 0F on Wed/Thur so there might be some late November fishing in our future!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Black Friday Drills?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I have a 7” lazer and a 725in/lb drill from three years ago, runs like a champ. The Milwaukee leads with battery performance, the m18 red lithium batteries currently go up to 12ah and is almost impervious to the cold. Rigid has grabbed the attention currently with their new drill which has 1300in/lb and has special offers going. I’d stick with your 8” auger and get one of the “older” drills with minimum 725in/lb (I’d recommend going at least 800in/lb) as long as it’s brushless and has at least 4ah batteries.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:15 PM »

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  That's exactly what I was looking for - it's so hard to try to compare 50 different drills online when things like torque are hidden in the specs.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:35 PM »
You can get the 725# Ridgid in a kit with their impact driver and 2 4ah batteries for around $120 right now. Buy the kit for $200 with whatever free tool you want that's valued at $149 without the deal. Return the "free" tool (it will be prorated to $85 and change) and you'll have your deal.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I just picked up the combo rigid drill impact. As the add on I got 2 more 4 ah batteries. Gonna pair this with a 6" laser.  We will see how well this works out.  I wanted the octane but only 1 battery going that route.   I am hoping  to use it for more than just one thing  and I love to drill alot of holes till I find fish
<br />

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2018, 08:55 AM »
i was using same set up for years, it works fine.
i went with the octane because i use the drill for more than ice fishing, but the 9amp battery has more amp hours than two 4 amp hours hold and i have plenty of 4amps. i can now use a much bigger auger if i care to.

remember to get them registered asap for the free batteries and parts and repairs for life.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Picked up a Milwaukee 2804-22 drill, came with 2 5A batteries and they gave a 3rd battery free all for $250 at Fleet Farm yesterday

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2018, 04:17 PM »
1300 inch pound hammer drill and lifetime warranty. strongest drill and best warranty on the market.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ridgid-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611506B/304304102

9amp battery with bluetooth and lifetime warranty
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Starter-Kit-with-Charger-AC801/304740781

Grabbed this great deal, Thanks for posting

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:17 PM »
glad to help, enjoy!

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:30 PM »

I ended up with 4 4ah batteries  that why I did that.  Plus I like to use the impact driver for things around the house and garage  now have 2 batteries for each tool
<br />

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:50 AM »

I ended up with 4 4ah batteries  that why I did that.  Plus I like to use the impact driver for things around the house and garage  now have 2 batteries for each tool
That is a good deal. I have the same thing but only 2 batteries. It worked great all last year with the 7" Nero auger.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:58 PM »

i use the impact for driving screws and bolts and as a drill. you can buy drill bits that fit the impact so you don't have to have a drill on hand to make holes first. say for piloting a hole for a screw. i like the 12 volt for most things and the 18 volt comes out for tougher jobs or bigger bolts like large lag bolts.
hope all of your tools and batteries have the life time warranty on them. i have had mine serviced. they wanted all of my tools to refurbish any thing they felt like doing to them and give newer batteries that didn't need new batteries just because ridgid changed the brand of cells inside their battery packs. couldn't be happier, except for the time it took not having them.

if i do it again i will hold back key tools i need and bring them in after i get my other tools back so the wait would be shorter. or just get the new batteries and for go the refurbishing.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:39 PM »
The set did all get me a but the extra batteries only got the 3 year warranty  but I guess I am still better off than other brands with 2 batteries I never pay to replace
<br />

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2018, 12:42 AM »
 best thing to do is use the lsa batteries the most because any rechargeable battery only can take so many charges before it begins loosing it's ability to take and hold a good charge like it did when new. so the non lsa batteries will last longer if you use them the least or as back up batteries.

i like to write a number on them so i know to try to rotate them as i use them so one won't get worn out as fast or so they wear out more evenly. i do this for my drone batteries also.
when working commercially i'll have my last name written on them too so no one can say they are theirs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.