Author Topic: Lighting for Night Fishing Eyes  (Read 2367 times)

Offline ajahrendt07

• IceShanty Rookie
Lighting for Night Fishing Eyes
« on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:52 AM »
Hello everyone,

Haven't received a real straight forward or consistent answer and dont know if i will but i will give it a shot on here....When moving shallow (6-10ft) towards sunset and fishing when dark, do you have lights in the shack on? Do lights on in the shack affect walleye coming in in shallow water? I use lights when fishing at night in deep water but have always been skeptical about doing so in shallow water. Any and all input is appreciated...Thanks!

Offline egbertdd

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lighting for Night Fishing Eyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:07 AM »
I have limited experience but I have always used a head lamp only to charge jigs/land fish....  Definitely feel a light is a deterrent in skinny water/ not natural/ out of their natural norm.  My buddies who have far more experience never use lights either.  when using tip ups or jigging and alwya sin 10 ft or less after dark.

Keep em wet

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Hey aj

I use lights in shallow water.  Over the years I've played around with different lighting scenarios.  Red, white, dimmed, dark... so on.

I've managed some really big fish in 5 fow or less with lights blazing and the heater hissing to beat the band.  I'm by no means an expert but now I run lights all the time.

Not sure why but I do hold my glow flasher against me when its dark so I dont flash down the hole.  I've noticed the ice transmits that light out.  I really have no clue as to if thats a bad thing but it is in my mind.

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:25 PM »
I think if you had a dim light that was consistently on it probably won't matter but any movement of the light I think turns fish off.. Try shining them once .. They scatter. I always keep my headlamp dimmed and pointed up until I need it.. I defiantly don't like too much light noise ect.

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:34 AM »
I use a coleman lantern in my shack. I have aluminum foil wrapped half way around the glass globe so lantern only shines out 1 side. When I get a fish on ill just turn lantern 180 degrees so I got good lite then.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2014, 08:07 AM »
That's a hard call because where I fish snowmobiles also use the ice at night. I hate becoming a stat so I light the hut to be seen more than to see what I am doing. I have seen those Strobes now available to put on Ice houses that are solar power. This sort of gives me a idea to also use the solar Garden path lights for the yard to place around the hut . Whether or not it bugs the fish I've seen it work both ways all I can say is if you are out fishing fish with lights then move off away from the lights and try their see what's working at that time. We all know lights attract plankton, Plankton attract minnows, Minnows attract game fish.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I have a green fluorescent light that I submerse well before dark, It attracts the plankton,minnows come, waldo comes. I also use green flashlight to go to the tipup hole when catching walleye ,they are very sensitive to white light

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.