Author Topic: Tip-Up Line  (Read 5431 times)

Kochman

Tip-Up Line
« on: Feb 18, 2003, 08:00 PM »
Looking for suggestions on lining my tip-ups.  This season I bought a whole new arsenal of tip-ups and spooled them with
15lb. teflon coated nylon.  I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but I am sure the line is complete garbage.  It already needs replacement, there are nicks, cuts and tears throughout the entire portion of the line that I use.  Believe me, it's not from abuse.  In fact, I've noticed the line is freying from landing fish that rub the line along the bottom edge of the hole.  I've heard guys like spiderwire in the heavier poundage, also Berkley's Gorilla Line has also been suggested.  One last thing I can mention is that I know my current line is not Mason's or
Gudebrod.  Any info. would be appreciated.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
Re: Tip-Up Line
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2003, 02:24 PM »
i like spiderwire fusion it holds up well it does not soak up water so it won't freez and it does not get tangled up. i have used it on polar tip ups all year and it is the best line i have used.i like the heavier pound test 24/12 with a swivle clip and a mono leader. also you can fit a lot more on your spool.i have 300 yards on a 200ft. spool and it is only half full. ;D

insane4eyes

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2003, 04:17 PM »
I agree with holeinhide i have 40 lb spiderwire fusion and it is great and it lays nice and when your out on those cold days and the lines is laid on the ice it lays out nice and doesn't tangle and not a real problem with freezing to it either.  If you go to wal-mart you can pick it up for $5.96 for i believe 150 or 200 yds.  But all in all you can't go wrong with it

Tacklenut

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2003, 02:36 AM »
I used Fire Line Ice 10/4 on my Polars this season with very good results.I run 30lb. tip up line and connect a 3foot leader of the Fire Line with a small snap swivle.I have caught line shy fish such as crappies and perch and toohthy critters like pike and pickeral on this line.I like the small diameter and the fact that the break strength is rated for 10lbs.I`m thinking about rigging 4 tip ups with the new Power Pro 8/1 for panfish and 4 tip ups rigged with Power Pro 15/4 for all around fishing.

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2003, 08:57 PM »
I use vinyl clad 25 pound test line  i cant think of the manufactor    and  30pound fireline quickstrike rigs  with 1 #12 trebble and 1 # 10 treble.      the fireline works  great.   I have landed  anything from 30" pike  to 12" to 16" bass  with this rig

Tacklenut

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2003, 06:11 AM »
I`m going to give the Fusion a try.I rigged 4 tip ups for next season with this stuff.I spliced about 50 yards of the Fusion to my old tip up line via back to back Uni knots,Then I tied on a Spro 50 lb. Pro swivel(very tiny) to the Fusion.On the other end of the swivel I tied 2 ft. of Power Pro 15/4 in moss green.I like the super braids for leaders,thin diameters and strong.A #10 or a #8 red Mustad treble with a small glow bead finish of the rig.Thats 4 stealthy tip ups ready for 2003/2004 ice fishing season.I will post next year on how they work.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2003, 09:30 AM »
I don't know how you guys can handle that thin super-braided line out on the ice ???  I have enough trouble zipping up my pants on -20 days not less alone trying to avoid getting my fingers ripped off by a monster pike. ;D  I gotta say that the thicker , but yet plyable line is my choice on a tip-up.  I use the coated line made by U.S. Line Company.  When it's  10 below and you have 50-100 ft. of line sitting on the ice after a good battle, I need the thicker line.  I use a good Fluorocarbon leader, so the fish won't get leader shy.  I religiously use Spiderwire and Tuff line on my open water rigs, and they tend to knot up on occasion.  Do any of you have problems with knots after delivering a fish on the ice?  Do any of you worry about some of this line cutting your finger off after a battle with a large fish, (over 12 lbs.)  I've always thought "hand lineing" a big fish with thin super-line would be a recipe for lost fingers, especially if your as slow to react as I am! :'(
TEAM ALASKA

Tacklenut

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2003, 12:14 PM »
Barleydog,thanks for your concern about my fingers.In all honesty I just started using super braids like Power Pro and Fireline Ice this past winter.I have had no problems yet with the line cutting my fingers.That said I also have not caught any fish over 10lbs on this line.Some other anglers have said the same thing about how this line can do some damage on your hands and fingers when fighting a big fish.I tie short leaders 11/2 to 2ft.The Fusion is worth a try just from all the positive feedback I`ve read on it.I still have 6 tip ups i can go to with my 30 lb.dacron tip up line.I also have a Tackle Tamer filled with various types of leaders so I can change to what ever species I`m targeting.

alloutdoors681

Re:Tip-Up Line
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2003, 11:50 AM »
I use 30lb. braided Dacron.  Haven't had any problems.  

CTStriper

« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:13 PM »
I prefer dacron...I've had the same 50 lb braided dacron on my tip ups for 16 years now and by the looks of it, the line will still be on there 16 years from now  You never have to worry about stepping on it or fraying it on ice shards around the hole. Even when frozen it is easy to work with and wind back on the spool. When it does get caught around the hole while winding up a quick yank frees it with no nicks or frays. Dacron has it's advantages for the big pike here in Connecticut too as it is easy to fight a big fish with a thicker line, I use Power Pro on my saltwater gear  and I've got plenty of scars on my hands from trying to land fish by holding onto the line as the fish decides to make it's final run ::)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:56 PM »
I run 36# and 45# dacron on mine. Same reasons as stated above.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:42 PM »
I use 15 and 25 pound test HT Polar Ice Vinyl Coated Tip Up line. It is vinyl coated so it won't freeze if you use it above or below the water. It is incredibly shock resistant, and it will not tangle. I tie a barrel swivel to the end of it and then an 8 or 10 foot long section of 12 pound fluorocarbon. For pike, add a foot long section of 30 pound fireline for leader to the end of the fluoro.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.