Author Topic: Walleyes on tip-ups  (Read 3697 times)

Bud_Boiteau

Walleyes on tip-ups
« on: Jan 20, 2003, 11:56 AM »
When tip-up fishing for walleyes, should you use a sinker to keep the bait about 1-2 feet off the bottom or just let it swim around freely. Any advice on this or other helpful tips to put more walleyes on the ice would be a great help. Thanks

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re: Walleyes on tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2003, 01:07 PM »
I use a sinker.  It seems to work.  

RSQCAL

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2003, 02:08 PM »
I use the same tipups for walleye as for northerns. I replace the heavy leader with a leader made of lite line (4/6 lb) about 24 to 30 inchs long. I then place a lite sinker at the top of the leader. Just enough to bring the line toward the bottom. I then let the minnow swim about freely at the end of this. Seems to work for me. Keep the spool turning smooth and the line neat so the fish doesn't feel the pull of the line. Good Luck !!  :'( :'(

Kochman

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2003, 09:47 AM »
I'm using 8lb. micro-ice fireline 36'' in length for my tip-up leaders, and my success has not been great.  Is this too heavy or do you think the visibility of fireline is decreasing my hook-ups?

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2003, 09:49 AM »
Try flourocarbon for your leader.

RSQCAL

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2003, 10:07 AM »
I did fail to mention that I make my leaders out of flourocarbon line.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:41 PM »
 You want some weight so the minnow doesn't swim around too much or else the walleyes won't go for it.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:55 PM »
I just use a jig.

WS

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:18 AM »
You want some weight so the minnow doesn't swim around too much or else the walleyes won't go for it.

Not saying your wrong where you fish but I have never found this to be the case. A walleye that is foraging for minnows that are not on a hook are chasing free swimming minnows. Why would he not chase a hooked minnow thats free swimming? If he is hungry enough he will chase. Now if your dealing with Walleyes that are more neutral than active than you might be better off restricting the range a minnow can swim. Unless your using giant minnows just the weight of your line and the hook itself is going to hinder the minnows movement at least to some degree. Guess I just favor a more natural presentation and if I use weight, I tend to put my weight at the top of the leader where the braid meets the leader like RSQCAL suggested. I also dont believe a Walleye wont swim up several feet to hit a minnow especially in clear water. I have caught trophy walleys in 12 foot of water with the minnow 5 to 6 foot off the bottom. Their eyes are situated to see everything above them and if they can see it, they will swim up to grab it.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:03 AM »
wow, this post started in 2003 !   
But to add my 2 cents..  I use a small split shot about 18" above my hook or use a jighead.  I try to keep the hook 12" to 18" from the bottom

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:53 AM »
 I will try that on one if my tip ups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.