The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyoming Off Topic Thread  (Read 123223 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Wyoming Off Topic Thread
« Reply #330 on: Oct 12, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Very nice on your hunts pok3, that muley is awsome  :thumbsup:  Cant beat that luck olefish, im guessing it was an easy pack to the truck with that bull also
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #331 on: Oct 12, 2014, 02:56 PM »
MY baby elk and rustic camp

I guess I can not state how much I enjoy still doing a simple camp were just being there is the best part of the trip and not how much it takes to get there.
olefish

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #332 on: Oct 12, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Thanks Muskyon.

I couldn't agree with you more ole. I enjoy a simple camp just as much as I enjoy hunting out of a camper (when the weather is nice that is) .
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #333 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #334 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Nice pics guys! ;D

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #335 on: Oct 24, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Managed to smoke this feller before I went salmon fishing in the Pac NW for a week. 6X6.

Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #336 on: Oct 25, 2014, 12:06 AM »
Nice Deer!  ;)
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #337 on: Oct 25, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I was hunting by my self when I was able to connect on my cow moose yesterday morning about 7:45 am. She was on the edge of my boundary. She was out side the range of my wanted head shot so I hit her through the lungs. She went about 15 yards and started blowing out her noose and turned went about 20 yards and went down.   9.5 hours and 300+ yards later I had her about 50 yards from the truck when a friend showed up. To say I was happy to have help loading her is an understatement. A 63 year old man by himself and a 5 year old dry cow is a challenging match up. She was loaded whole. How??? I used a battery powered potable winch and moved her 30 feet at a time, by using a large bar I drove in the ground. The truly hard part was packing the 80Lb marine 12volt battery back and forth from the truck to the moose across a creek and up and down a hill. I do have a couple pictures when I got her to the truck and will post later.
olefish

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #338 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:32 PM »
Cool congratulations! Lots of work for sure!

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #339 on: Oct 26, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Managed to smoke this feller before I went salmon fishing in the Pac NW for a week. 6X6.

Very cool deer way to go
olefish

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #340 on: Oct 26, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I was hunting by my self when I was able to connect on my cow moose yesterday morning about 7:45 am. She was on the edge of my boundary. She was out side the range of my wanted head shot so I hit her through the lungs. She went about 15 yards and started blowing out her noose and turned went about 20 yards and went down.   9.5 hours and 300+ yards later I had her about 50 yards from the truck when a friend showed up. To say I was happy to have help loading her is an understatement. A 63 year old man by himself and a 5 year old dry cow is a challenging match up. She was loaded whole. How??? I used a battery powered potable winch and moved her 30 feet at a time, by using a large bar I drove in the ground. The truly hard part was packing the 80Lb marine 12volt battery back and forth from the truck to the moose across a creek and up and down a hill. I do have a couple pictures when I got her to the truck and will post later.

olefish

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #341 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:41 PM »
rest of story
Ok I was hunting northwest of Boulder WY about 18 miles. My permit was for a cow without calf off national forest.  I hunter 2 days last weekend and then returned Thursday evening.  I had about 1 hour before dark and took a short walk through a willow bottom and managed to get between a cow and calf.  I truly thought I was going to have to killer her in self-defense.   She was about 35 yards and the calf was about 15 yards to my left. She lowered her head, blew snot out her nose and laid her hers back.  I was following a fence line so I had my back against it with no were to go.  After what seemed forever the calf trotted over behind her and we stayed like that for maybe 15 minutes, before they turned and slowly walked off.  A single shot gun seems puny in that situation.  So the next morning I go to another location along a creek that was shared with me by a local guy.  I go as fare up the creek I can go on a trail and get out and start walking back along the creek. There are lots of willows, grassy meadows sage brush and some timer. After walking about 200 yards I get to where I see through the trees into a sage brush flat between the 2 creeks. My cow was standing just above the second creek looking at me.  I slipped down through the creek I was following and up the bank. There was small pine tree I was able to get behind, and I ranged her at 198 yards. I have a bipod no my Thomson 30-30 AI and settled the cross hairs in the center of her chest behind the front leg and fired.  She took a few steps and turned and faced me.  She was blowing blood out her nose so I knew she was not going any were.  She took about 4 more steps and was down and dead.  The bullet entered mid chest and went through her lungs making a fist size hole.  I purchased a masterlock 1500 lb portable 12 volt winch for my moose hunt. I have to say it is the best $70 + $39 for pulling attachment anyone could spend.  It was slow but was able to pull her 75% of the time without me having to adjust her.  Some of the sage brush and buck brush held her up and some rocks also cause my assistance.  After the 200 yards of sage brush I  had to move her down through some rocks and willows to the creek bank. At this point I was able to use my 600 feet of rope and reach the back of the truck.  A trick you may want to use some day, I use straps and snap blocks hung about 4 feet off the ground to run my rope through. This keeps the ropes from scraping on the trees and pulls the head in an up position. After I had her across the bank with about 40 yards to go my friend arrived, 5:30 pm. So by 7pm we had her loaded in the truck. I am not sure why I did her whole, other than just to see if I could.
 So why was by myself?  My friend had someone quite at his job which caused him to not be able to get away till Friday afternoon and if I can be hunting I am gone.   
I have to admit I was as beyond exhausted, with cramps in my hands, feet, arms and legs. But if you do not try what have you gained or learned about yourself. 
I just am not much of a picture taker and neither is my friend, we just hunt.   
olefish

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #342 on: Oct 26, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Nice job farmer and ole! I think I've got two DEER whole to the truck and one elk....and the elk i didn't have any effort in. I knew a guy who was hunting the area, and he knew where my dead elk was. He had bought a new horse that spring and lassoed my elk and DRUG it 3 miles.....just to see if his horse could do it. boy was a grateful. Other than that I haven't got any mountain dwelling critters into the truck whole. That's quite a feet ole! Congrats again to both of you.

I was able to smack a little bull on opening day. The moment got the best of me :)
Trent Williams

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #343 on: Oct 27, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Congrats on the elk and anytime you get help is wonderful.. That elk should melt in your mouth good
olefish

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #344 on: Oct 29, 2014, 05:11 AM »
A few years ago,I killed a cow moose in the willows, 100 yds from the road. A friend had a chainsaw winch and pulled it to the truck for me. A few years later he called and asked if I wanted to buy it, off course I did. I used it once since to help get a elk up a steep hill. It's worth its weight!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #345 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Tune into the outdoor channel, today and tomorrow for a show called "Fight to Survive", "The Journal". It's the story of the pastor that got trapped and died in the Winds a few years back. Very heartbreaking. Set your DVR

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #346 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:16 PM »
I need to get a DVR!!!
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #347 on: Nov 22, 2014, 02:17 PM »
I finally got around to downloading some of my pic's from our recent Alabama trip.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #348 on: Nov 22, 2014, 02:50 PM »
Our 2nd day striper fishing we caught these fish from 6lbs-18.5lbs on top water baits

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #349 on: Nov 22, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Heck yea that's awesome! When I was a little kid I caught either a small striper or a "wiper" . Maybe weighed 3 lbs and it put up a fight like I couldn't believe. I can only imagine what an 18 lber feels like!
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #350 on: Nov 22, 2014, 04:53 PM »
They hit like a freight train on a 6" floating stick bait. The only complaint was he had pretty heavy rods, 17lb test line. I would have gone a bit lighter but even at that it was a hoot! The surface was boiling with feeding fish, he could barely keep up with the school with his bow mount electric motor.

Offline Sathey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #351 on: Nov 29, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Great pictures everyone, thanks for sharing....now bring on the ice!

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #353 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Those Stripers look like a blast! I've caught 10-15lb whipers, but never a striper.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #354 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Great video! I had to change my draws just watching. The camera guy didn't want to be there very much! Thanks for sharing.

Hey Mountain Man you video me with a long bow and a brown bear? I'm game!

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #355 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:56 PM »
that guide has grit

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #356 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:43 PM »

Just a reminder what the deer are thinking of right now!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline miller_82901

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #357 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:00 AM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS and happy fishing to everyone.
Any day fishin is better than a day at work.

Offline FairIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Dec 24, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I bet everyone on that bear hunt need a change of underwear... :o

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #359 on: Oct 10, 2015, 01:06 PM »

Well the freezer has meat again.  My little 5 point bull killed at 348 yards (ranged) broke his back.  I am so glad I had my portable winch again to load him. 
olefish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.