The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sebago Lake Togue Program  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Sebago Lake Togue Program
« on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:57 AM »
Maine IFW manages Sebago as a principle salmon fishery. With this in mind, lake trout are unwelcome competition when it comes to reaching objectives for salmon as they will feed on smelt as well. In an effort to increase forage the state has taken a position that they want every lake trout under 26" removed from Sebago. Many of us have no use for that many lake trout and do not want to waste what we perceive as a resource, so this sized fish is often thrown back. To combat this ethic there are a number of places being recruited as satellite drop offs for lake trout. These collection sites will ensure that the fish are re-purposed to a good home. The following is a letter detailing such sites, hopefully more will come.
P.S. this is an old letter. Dag's is also collecting fish for use as dissection specimens. Each fish will replace 4 rats and save the local community college about $50.

-Dylan   

2020 Sebago Lake Togue Program   
The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (MDIFW) reconvened the 2011 Sebago Lake focus group (with a few new members) in 2019.  The purpose of the 2019 meeting was to discuss recent changes in the lake’s fishery and proposed changes in fishery management, particularly in relation to an overpopulation of togue and problems associated with a lack of forage fish. MDIFW proposed more liberal regulations on lake trout, which are due to take effect January 1, 2020.  See MDIFW regulations.  In addition, MDIFW staff and focus group members also discussed changes in angler harvest and the idea that many anglers today simply fish for recreation and release their surplus or unwanted togue alive.  There was clearly a need to develop some new and creative outlets for these fish that would encourage harvest.  One idea was to create one or more drop-off points around the lake where anglers could deposit their surplus or unwanted togue, and the group would find a use for them such as food for wildlife rehabilitators.  An experimental drop-off station has been setup at Jordan's Store on Rt. 114, west shore of Sebago Lake. The store phone number is 787-3866 and the drop off hours are the same as the store hours (7 AM to 8 PM).  The fish will be utilized by several local Wildlife Rehabilitation Facilities. This is a win-win situation to help reduce the togue population in Sebago and help our local rehab people with the wonderful work they do. So, when you fish for togue in Sebago please do not "put back" your surplus or unwanted togue. Get them to Jordan's Store.  All fish need to be bagged and tagged with angler’s name and date the fish were caught.  Thank you.
Please note: This program for Sebago Lake togue only.
Fern Bosse (462-5178)
Sebago Lake Focus Group

Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Re: Sebago Lake Togue Program
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2020, 02:53 PM »
Put a bounty on them and pay the angler when they leave the ice for the day. Maybe $1 per fish would give people an incentive to get with the program. You know how people are they want to rewarded for their effort.
The State spends millions on wasteful programs why not fund this program? 
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2020, 03:07 PM »
I just noticed they completely removed the slot, you can keep one 26” and over, no limit under 26”. That’s another step in the right Direction.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 10:24 AM »
they need to push kill and release on that lake, they have hinted about it but they really need to say it out loud in the rule book. they also need the rule to read keep only one fish over 100 inches instead of 26

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Just let some commercial fishermen at them. People out west or on Canada have a market for it. Take a look at perch prices too  ::)
https://www.walleyedirect.com/product/lake-trout-11.html

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:11 PM »
"Fresh Wild Maine-Caught Lake Trout Filets" that's actually not a bad idea...not that I would order them

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:20 PM »
Just let some commercial fishermen at them. People out west or on Canada have a market for it. Take a look at perch prices too  ::)
https://www.walleyedirect.com/product/lake-trout-11.html

Wow, amazing that people will pay for togue filets, let alone $10/lb+ for them.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Wow, amazing that people will pay for togue filets, let alone $10/lb+ for them.

That's 'cause they're Lake Trout, not Togue.  :roflmao:   ;) I don't get it either.

Seamonkey mentioned the yellow perch prices, that's a pretty common price. Strange how white perch are favored in Maine (and are sold in fishmarkets here in CT), but much of the country views WP as virtually inedible. I've tried WP & YP from several regions in the country, thinking maybe they taste different depending on the lake. To my taste WP & YP are OK wherever they come from but neither variety are my favorite. Fun to catch though.  :icefish:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:35 PM »
That's 'cause they're Lake Trout, not Togue.  :roflmao:   ;) I don't get it either.

Seamonkey mentioned the yellow perch prices, that's a pretty common price. Strange how white perch are favored in Maine (and are sold in fishmarkets here in CT), but much of the country views WP as virtually inedible. I've tried WP & YP from several regions in the country, thinking maybe they taste different depending on the lake. To my taste WP & YP are OK wherever they come from but neither variety are my favorite. Fun to catch though.  :icefish:
I mentioned the price because hardly anyone here in Maine eat yellow perch lol. Not saying no one does, but the majority of Maine fishermen see them purely as trash, and sunfish are for kids to play with.  White perch and crappie are more popular, with salmon and trout being the fish of choice.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:49 PM »
I mentioned the price because hardly anyone here in Maine eat yellow perch lol. Not saying no one does, but the majority of Maine fishermen see them purely as trash, and sunfish are for kids to play with.  White perch and crappie are more popular, with salmon and trout being the fish of choice.

Yup, that's what I was thinking but forgot to write about the YP.  :P  Despite how tasty crappie are, I hope they don't become more widespread in ME. I didn't see mention of it, are crappie in Sebago?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:54 AM »
Yup, that's what I was thinking but forgot to write about the YP.  :P  Despite how tasty crappie are, I hope they don't become more widespread in ME. I didn't see mention of it, are crappie in Sebago?
Yes they are, one of the original watersheds they were discovered in. I’ve only found them a couple times, but they come in fast when we do.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Yes they are, one of the original watersheds they were discovered in. I’ve only found them a couple times, but they come in fast when we do.

Nice pile. They're fun to catch through the ice, we do it from an hour before dark to maybe 9:00. Drill a bunch of holes (maybe 60-75) in the general area you think they may be in. Maybe 50' apart in a grid. One or more guy(s) drills, the other checks holes with the fishfinder. Once you find the school it's pretty easy to catch a mess of fish.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:19 AM »
I haven’t target them yet through the ice, but I plan on putting my panoptix to work this year. Hope to use it to get some togue out too, but it’s not great at seeing lures or smaller fish past 70ft. 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:38 AM »
Those panoptix are nice, a buddy had one last year that I took a peek at. If you want to target the crappie I would suggest finding a corner or bay in the lake forming a little bowl, and searching in between 10-35 fow. They could be suspended only a few feet down, if there's a school your panoptix will spot them for sure.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Sebago always had lots of Crappies in turtle cove and over by Stickey river and the tressel  .If you don't like jigging for TOGUE...…..  If you are in MAINE speak as a MAINER ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.