The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Traveling with live bait  (Read 1342 times)

Offline gauge

• Team IceShanty Regular
Traveling with live bait
« on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:28 AM »
I've always bought my bait. Now that I'm retired and have more time I decide to trap some bait. Fun!!!
I'm very careful and go through all the minnows, making sure all I keep and use are shiners.
Traveling north in the past I have always had my bait bagged and gassed. I strongly believe it's worth the extra money, and
easy to travel with them in coolers. Last year Old Town TP even bagged and gassed some sea-run smelts for us that I caught and bought up, worked great!!
So does anyone bag and gas their own bait? With some of the places we go no electricity, battery bubblers are a challenge.
I would love to learn the process and supplies needed. Where do I get them??

gauge
Fishing the same way and expecting different results.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Traveling with live bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:35 AM »
The Oxygen can be found with welding equipment. the bags are the same ones we use in pet stores, but finding ones that are big enough and aren’t prone to leaking is the problem. Once you have the supplies, it’s important to make sure the bag is at least half air when you tie it off. If you fill with more water, there won’t be enough surface area to water volume for the O2 and CO2 to exchange fast enough.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:33 AM »
I've never bought bait bagged with O2. What I gather is they simply fill the void in the bag with oxygen, then seal it? They don't oxygenate the water? I'd like to try it in a bait bucket, assuming I can find one with a good seal.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:58 AM »
Years ago when I was a bait dealer the guy I bought my bait from always bagged and o2 the fish...

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:47 AM »
Keeping them aerated is the best option of course. buckets/coolers work better than bags, if they don’t leak, plus you can open them and mix in more oxygen.  but like I mentioned, no more than half full of water, and wider is better than deeper.
The use of pure oxygen is if your keeping them bagged for more than 12hrs, or lots of bait. keeping them cold but not freezing will extend the time they stay alive in the bags. If the bags are anything like the ones I’m use to, long/taller than wide, keep them on their sides during travel, the more surface area the better.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2020, 10:29 AM »
I've seen 5 dozen in bags last 10 days with a good seal and kept cold. Good smelts of course make a difference

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2020, 02:12 PM »
No question buying an oxygen tank was the best investment I made to keep bait alive.  The only other thing I will mention is if you are keeping smelts, make sure to put the bait bag inside of a black trash bag.  it only takes a day for the smelts to start to "fade".....yes, even if the lid is closed.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2020, 06:08 AM »
Great idea.  Unfortunately I can't help you with the answer, but would be curious to learn what you find out. 

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:22 AM »
I spoke to my local gas supplier and they told me it's about a 250 set up cost. The regulator is the most expensive. This was last year or 2 years ago. My mother has since passed and was on oxygen. She had a set up for home and a portable concentrator that uses everyday air and covers to 98 percent 02. This may be a better way to go as it's a 1 and done purchase without having to refill tanks etc. I'm going to see if my dad still has it.

Offline gauge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Hey Rusty I so agree with you!! I'm also looking into the ozone machines used for hunting.
Some pump O2 out of these machines, like to give it a try
This would be a dual purpose investment for me, I hunt a bunch.
As for bags, a buddy picked up some mega bags a bottle redemption spot.
He used them this weekend with no issues.
Might be the answer there too.
Great info and conversations by all.
Thank you so much!!!

gauge

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Zip lock makes some 10 and 20 gallon bags. They are heavy plastic. I'm trying a few out this weekend on a ice camping trip I'll let you know if they would be a option

Offline gauge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Did you find these zip lock 20 gal. locally??

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:22 PM »
Did you find these zip lock 20 gal. locally??
[/quote

Target online. Amazon has them as well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.