Author Topic: Whitefish or Cisco?  (Read 11706 times)

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
Whitefish or Cisco?
« on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:36 AM »
 Most fisherman know the difference between a Whitefish and a Cisco(Tullibee) but I've often wondered how many people think they are catching Whitefish, but are really filleting worm infested Cisco's?
 I just find Cisco way more common than Whitefish around here, and that's a pretty innocent mistake to a lot of people who aren't as in the know as some.
 On another note, where is a feasible spot to catch Whitefish on Last Mountain? Anyone have success out there for actual Whitefish? I've seen a lot of Cisco out there, but never a White myself. I know they're there though.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline harvey69

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Whitefish or Cisco?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2006, 09:11 AM »
I have never heard of Whitefish on Last Mountain.  I am not sure that they are there nolimit.  But I do have a friend that has a documented Rainbow catch out of Echo about 15 yrs back so it is possible. They feel that it was a released or escaped fish from the fishfarm.
Later
Harv

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:31 PM »
There are both whitefish and Ciscos in Last Mountain Lake. They are a part of the Qu'Apple river chain and are found throughout it.

There are a few commercial fishermen of whitefish on Last Mountain Lake. I am not really sure where they fish but if a person could contact them or set up a ways from there netting area you should get some whitefish.

A person could ask some of the business owners along the lake if they know where the commercial nets are. Pokeys tackle shop or Great Northern Rod and Reel in Regina might be good places to ask to.  :)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I have never heard of Whitefish on Last Mountain.  I am not sure that they are there nolimit.  But I do have a friend that has a documented Rainbow catch out of Echo about 15 yrs back so it is possible. They feel that it was a released or escaped fish from the fishfarm.
Later
Harv

A conservation officer confirmed for me that the Fort lakes, specifically Echo, has a small population of Rainbow and Brown trout that have been released from the hatchery when they are no longer used to breed. Apparently some of them are pretty big (he said he was called to witness a 7lb. Rainbow caught out in front of the hatchery), but the numbers of trout that survive for any length of time in the system is figured to be low. This is still neat and food for thought when fishing the Fort.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline goodoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Hi
I can not remember which is which..but the only difference from a white fish and a cisco was that one had the top lip stick overtop the bottom lip and the other had the bottom lip stick out further than the top lip. ???
geez I hope I don`t sound too much like an idiot :P
but I think that is how it was explained to me..

Keep your line tight and get out to the goodoutdoors.. :tipup:

Keep your line tight & get out to the goodoutdoors :tipup:

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:44 AM »
That's right goodoutdoors, it's the lips that are the definative difference, but I can never remember which way is which!  :D We catch lake whitefish most often in the spring while jigging for walleyes. I think they're in there either spawning themselves or just eating the pickerel eggs.  I've caught the odd one through the ice but they bite most readily at the start of the season in open water. The guys that I saw having real success through the ice were using little white rubber grubs and long fishing rods, .... it was a father and son from Bulyea, I think. They can weigh well over 10 lbs (we call those Jumbos) so there's no danger of confusing those with  Tullibees. One year we caught a serious amount of whites, and I don't think any of them were under 5 or 6 pounds, but that was just the one year. Average is probably closer to 3 or 4 lbs. The commercial fishing happens a soon as the ice is safe (or earlier!) and lasts until the quotas are weighed so in a good year it can be over quite suddenly.  Whitefish and Tullibee are both fished with nets (tullibees for pet food since they have parasites here in the south).
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2006, 04:16 PM »
tulibees have an under bite and whites have an over bite or kind of underslung mouth, its surprising in some lakes how big the tullibees get. have seen 2 lber's caught while pike fishing up at besnard.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Whitefish and Tullibee are both fished with nets (tullibees for pet food since they have parasites here in the south).
.....as well as whitefish.....kept one yesterday from cool and deep water......Grubs!!!!..... ::)....fit for the garbage can.....Grump  :-\

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Whitefish in Last Mount
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:34 PM »
As buzzbomb confirmed, there are whites in Last Mount.
You can get them when the ling start to spawn.
They love to eat ling eggs. Wire worms and Kastmasters
are the lures of the day, tipped with micro minnows.
Later TJ

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2006, 12:35 AM »
i was fishing on mission and i caught a 20-21inch long and 9-10inches wide is this a big tullibee or a whitefish my friends dad said it was a tullibee so i threw it down the hole. it had an underbite so it was a tullibee right>? ???

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2006, 05:11 PM »
You are correct echolakefisherman it was a tullibee/cisco. :)
The tullibee/cisco have an upward-turned mouth located at the tip of the snout.
The whitefish have a mouth located below the tip of the snout.

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.