Author Topic: Jet sled set-up  (Read 16226 times)

Offline Golden Luther

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trophy Fish and Me Don't Get Along
Jet sled set-up
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:07 PM »
Anyone have a good way of compartmentalizing their jet sleds to get the most gear and least rattle?

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
Re: Jet sled set-up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Anyone have a good way of compartmentalizing their jet sleds to get the most gear and least rattle?
Comp-compart-mental-lize -whoo that was a big one......I have to go to bed now :blink:
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:22 PM »
How bout some ol fashioned 2x4s

Offline boblee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:22 PM »
I was curious about this too. This and doing the same to a flip over shack also.  I hope someones got some pics

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Started something like this over the weekend with an old trap flip-over that the dog ruined, so I kept the sled portion. I used 1x 2's or you can use 1 x 3's whatever suits you. Grab'd the drill gun and drilled holes roughly every 4 inches around the edges. Cut 1 x 2's so I had 4 going across the width and 2 for the length,  12  4 inch bolts with wingnuts and they are pretty much interchangeable. Will try to get pics soon

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:07 PM »
do a search on here, it's been done and pics to boot.

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 03:01 PM »

This layout works well for me. 1x2 pine frame half lap joints at corners, screwed to rim of sled from underneath. 3/8 plywood for top and dividers. 1" plastic pvc hangers for jigging rod holders.

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2009, 03:03 PM »
A few more pics

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2009, 03:06 PM »
very nice i lay my ice tent in auger on top bucket heater and latern go in a milk crate then i have a small cargo net with bungys  that goes on top
                                                                                                               trap

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:22 PM »
I just got a sled from CDN Tire and have been trying to work this out. So far the best config involves a rubbermaid bin with hinged lid and a milk crate inside.
   At first I had 2 milk crates tied together but my Mr Heater wouldn't fit
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:45 PM »
My setup without the icegator on it.The ice gator fits in the slot at the back and the auger bit sits on the front cross brace. This gets it off the floor of the sled and give me room for minnow bucket.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Now thats the way to do it. Good job guys.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Awesome job guys :)
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline nhicefshr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Great set-ups.  Heading down to the workshop now....thanks for sharing.

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:44 PM »
some great ideas! nice work.

Offline Golden Luther

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trophy Fish and Me Don't Get Along
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Awesome ideas--- thanks guys!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Here’s what I did to my Jet Sled Jr… my main goals were to; have my Vex solidly mounted yet quickly removable (center platform), carry my cooler/seat (front platform), hold my tackle box (rear platform), and hold my rods in easy access (across the upper back bar).

The rear two platforms are raised at an angle to allow for auger and spud storage below. Also have a piano hinge on the front platform (and a wall behind it) which makes for a semi-dry storage compartment below.

PVC pipe make the frame and the platforms are painted plywood… very lightweight.

On a side note—and related topic—I am trying to lobby for a “sled modification message board”… I absolutely love these threads and have gotten some great ideas from the guys on this board for Sled Modzilla II (construction to begin next fall).

Anyway for what it’s worth, I placed this message in the “site suggestions” board hoping to generate some interest… feel free to chime in if you think it’s a worthy cause.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s one that seems to come up from time-to-time (and may have been suggested already)… How about a board dedicated to ice sleds, or more specifically ice sled modifications?

We’ve got a lot of great people on here with lot of great ideas and these “Sled Mod” threads always seem to generate a lot of activity on the “chit chat” board, problem is they quickly get buried as that board see’s non-stop action.

Everyone is always looking for the maximum in portability while stilling hauling as much gear as possible, but with the constantly growing list of gadgets out there (some VERY expensive) guys simply can’t afford to throw everything in an empty sled shell and different degrees of customization are needed.

There are (at least) three threads of this nature currently generating much activity on the “chit chat” board… sure would be easier to find them (for all) if they had a home.

Any interest?

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:44 PM »
dizzy said it. a sled/sled mod board is a great idea.
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:59 PM »
dizzy said it. a sled/sled mod board is a great idea.

and have it attached to the shanty mod forums, like jigs are attached to the jigging forum, and electronics/augers are attached to the equipment forums
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

icewagon

« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2009, 10:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This layout works well for me. 1x2 pine frame half lap joints at corners, screwed to rim of sled from underneath. 3/8 plywood for top and dividers. 1" plastic pvc hangers for jigging rod holders.

Nice sled !!!   How do you like that Eskimo auger ?

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:56 PM »
Nice sled !!!   How do you like that Eskimo auger ?

Thanks.  4th season with the Eskimo, runs and cuts great. I think the Ardisam Viper motors are better than the Tecumseh, they scream (8000 rpm.) Original blades. I  had problems with the recoil starter, but Eskimo redesigned it and they are using better materials. Only 25 bucks to replace, but Eskimo sent me a new one  no charge.

Offline I walk on water!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2009, 07:53 PM »
pack baskets in the jet sled work good

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2009, 08:15 PM »
i did this set up this year worked well for me.........

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 07:02 AM »
Holehawg:
Love the flag  makes it an A+ #1 set up!   maybe we need Iceshanty to make small iceshanty flags that size too!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 08:13 AM »
I would "fly" an IceShanty flag from a pole on my wheeler (With Pride).   ;D

How about it?  Possibility?

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 08:31 AM »
try using a couple of milk crates to hold the gear stable. i use a couple of bins that have tops but used to use the milk crates.they have them in all sizes now a days.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 12:17 PM »
 FOR ALL YOU WALKERS OUT THERE, I piggyback another smaller jet sled and an orange kids sled by ropes like train cars! There's no added weight from wood or what have you! Plus you have extra sleds for moving around with just your vex & chair after you set up home base!     My 2 cents!  ;D
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Walk????   whats that   I do the same thing with 2 Magnum Otters   behind my sled!    One for the shack and one for the gear /Beer!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Walk????   whats that   I do the same thing with 2 Magnum Otters   behind my sled!    One for the shack and one for the gear /Beer!

Sure it isn't one sled for gear, and another sled for beer, Hazzy?

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 08:33 PM »
Nice idea for a post topic.  I built one a couple years ago out of wood.  Looked much like a jet sled in form.  In the front curved section was open then into a hinged compartment that was the remainder the length of the sled and a raised compartment for vex and lures.  This also was used as a seat.   But the best addition was downhill skis.  It dragged so easy in fact easy enough that my 6 year old son would sit on top. 
Just try skis mounted on blocks and attached to sled you will be amazed the difference.  Until we get 4 wheelers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.