Author Topic: building your own electric ice auger  (Read 13778 times)

Offline fisherman#9

• IceShanty Rookie
  • LIVE TO FISH,FISH TO LIVE
building your own electric ice auger
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:30 PM »
I was wondring if anybody built there own ice auger gas or electric, I have a lot of time on my hands and i want to build one. please help i have a 6" auger to convert it. ???
Saskatchewan is the best place to fish!!!!!!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: building your own electric ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Check in the Auger thread under "Equipment" towards the bottom of the forum.
Ken                                          

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:37 PM »
or......you could try getting some input from "joco" on the Quebec board....you may also want to try looking at his posts regarding the mother of all augers....the V-8....Grump lol.....have fun with your quest  ;D

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:10 PM »
I once built an electric auger using a piece of plate metal and a Automotive starter motor...welded the drill to the shaft...Problem is...if you lay it down or even bump it slightly you will tweek the shaft so it is not perfectly aligned and the drill jumps all over when used...it is very hard to keep this type of set up straight.  Just my experience.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less

Offline fisherman#9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:43 AM »
I guess the cordless drill would be the best, because the motor and gears are all there and it is light. all i have to do is weld up a mount to fit it on my 6" auger
BUT,if you used a weed eater gas motor and a centrifugal clutch for your gear box,that should work.
The motor would idle and when you rev it up clutch kicks in and your auger starts drilling.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:27 AM »
You could try ,but I dont think the weedeater is going to have enough tourqe(sp).

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:08 AM »
I have a friend who made an electric auger with the winch from his ATV.  It's set up so that the winch can go back on the ATV when he needs it.  It's quite slow, but strong and does a good job of cutting holes in the ice.

It's easy to make an adaptor for a cordless drill.  However the drill must have at least 400 lb of torque.

Offline fisherman#9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:22 PM »
i just bought a Rona 18v 1/2 cordless drill, i made a mount for the drill and used my old crap drill and it cut thought really hard snow, it worked good, never tried on ice but going to wascana today with new drill.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2007, 02:05 PM »
let us know how it works out i'd like to try the cordless drill  :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline fisherman#9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:31 PM »
I WENT THROUGHT 18" OF ICE WITH A NEW RONA 18V CORDLESS DRILL AND A 6" auger with new blades, did 5 holes under a minute. cleaned the holes too. I will have a little video on this when I go to rafferty.
fricken awesome!!!!  no more manual holes, no more $ 500.00 smelly,heavy gas augers. :flex: :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :woot:

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:45 PM »
i just made one this year with a 18v cordless drill no ice yet so i didn't try it yet but it seems to work real good
i welded a peice of rebar to a heavy pipe and drilled a hole for the bolt all you have to do is put rebar in drill and the pipe in the auger and away you go :tipup:

Offline clamup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:36 AM »
I was wondring if anybody built there own ice auger gas or electric, I have a lot of time on my hands and i want to build one. please help i have a 6" auger to convert it. ???
I have been using my De-Walt 18 volt drill for 5 years. No problems with a 5" auger,
I get about 28 holes with 15" of ice per battery. I always bring two and have the charger in the truck or on the ATV.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:52 AM »
If you look at the commercialy available drill adapters they all have some way to keep them from going down the hole should they slip from the chuck. Just something to keep in mind.

I have heard of guys using washing machine transmission motors to make augers.

Seems like a lot of work and fiddling for something that can be had for around three bills.

Buy a factory made auger and you get a warranty and a good source of spare parts. No warranty on a home brewed unit.

Reeds has augers on clearance right now.
http://www.reedssports.com/main.taf?cat=372

Cabelas has theirs on sale right now.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:19 AM »
If you look at the commercialy available drill adapters they all have some way to keep them from going down the hole should they slip from the chuck. Just something to keep in mind.

I have heard of guys using washing machine transmission motors to make augers.

Seems like a lot of work and fiddling for something that can be had for around three bills.

Buy a factory made auger and you get a warranty and a good source of spare parts. No warranty on a home brewed unit.

Reeds has augers on clearance right now.
http://www.reedssports.com/main.taf?cat=372

Cabelas has theirs on sale right now.

Buying new is cool,but its also very rewarding knowing you came up with something on your own and saved a few bucks doing it.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Buying new is cool,but its also very rewarding knowing you came up with something on your own and saved a few bucks doing it.

I agree. I make my own quick strike rigs, spinner rigs...but with a vital piece of equipment like an auger I would like it to work, easy to fix, not take a lot of time keeping it working, and not give me a hassle when in use. I do not see how making an auger will save you that much money if you take into account the time involved.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I agree. I make my own quick strike rigs, spinner rigs...but with a vital piece of equipment like an auger I would like it to work, easy to fix, not take a lot of time keeping it working, and not give me a hassle when in use. I do not see how making an auger will save you that much money if you take into account the time involved.

I can see your point,but the electric auger I built back in the late 80's still works great.Have lass that 20 bucks in it and if it were not for the fact that I couldnt find it when I got back into icefishing I wouldnt have bought a gass auger.I really should be ashamed of myself,it had been laying out in the weds behind my shop since 97. I am going to give it to a buddy that is getting into icefishing to get the kids out of the house.

Offline fisherman#9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:05 PM »
I found the nut that fits on the auger,I welded a nut driver on top, I used a cordless drill to power the auger.
the auger cost me 20 bucks that is it,now i drill holes as fast as a 500.00 gas auger. I accomplished an auger to be as good if not better than a gas one. I never have to put gas in my auger.

Offline fishamajig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:20 PM »
How many volts is the drill?

Offline fisherman#9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:26 PM »
rona 18v

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:15 AM »
I found the nut that fits on the auger,I welded a nut driver on top, I used a cordless drill to power the auger.
the auger cost me 20 bucks that is it,now i drill holes as fast as a 500.00 gas auger. I accomplished an auger to be as good if not better than a gas one. I never have to put gas in my auger.

How big is the auger? 5 or 6 inches diameter? How thick of ice have you been through?

Offline fisherman#9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2007, 12:45 PM »
30" of ice and 6" auger. I cut 10 holes easy but battery started to di

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.