Author Topic: flasher/fish finder  (Read 576 times)

Offline BrendanParker

• IceShanty Rookie
flasher/fish finder
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Hey guys I'm pretty ignorant with all this ice fishing technology.  For a beginner with only a few seasons under his belt could you explain what you use as a "fish finder" or flasher or whatever they are called and why you choose that type?  I'm finding that they are necessary to find the big ones and I am looking into purchasing one in the near future but have no idea what I should be looking for.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: flasher/fish finder
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:04 PM »
been on the ice 1 yr. and last yr was a bust here in pa. I would tell you forget the camera types. Go with a flasher. Vexilar marcum or humminbird ice 55. If you want to catch more fis get a flasher. Go onto vexilars web sight and look

Offline slacktime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Parker, Lots of info here on cameras, flashers and graph sonars, lots of YouTube videos of the same. Check them out, ask some more questions and you can make a more informed decision. I prefer a graph, it shows me what it detects and I can see it until it runs off the screen. It shows the depth, structure and fish and how fish react to your bait, this helps me catch more fish. Lots of technology available, lot of it is marketing strategies, some of it useful. Have fun and tight lines.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Necessary to find the big ones??? hmmm none of this stuff is NECESSARY...lets use helpful  ;D.....But anyhoo go with flasher and once your done pulling your hair out and just short of needing a straight jacket , only then will you choose the one you like...good luck

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:15 PM »
They are a great tool and will help you catch many more fish!

Most of us use flashers made for ice fishing, but some use graph style (like what is on a boat).

Here are a few options for you to check out.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fishing-ice-fishing-ice-fishing-electronics/_/N-1105957/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_110951280?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104735880
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:26 PM »
I've ice fished since 1996 and never had a fish finder before last year.  Last year I decided to buy one and spend a lot of time researching brands and styles.  There are two types, flashers and sonars.  They both work in a very similar fashion but a flasher's display is a circle screen which flashes red, yellow or orange, and green colors.  I thought that this would be pretty confusing looking at the flashing colors in a circle and then figuring out what depth the fish were at.  I continued my search and found the Showdown Dual Beam, which I also saw on most of the ice fishing shows I watched last year.  With the Showdown the screen is verticle and looks like a tv screen but there's no colors, only black and a gray backround.  This seemed much easier to figure out what it was telling me because the top of the screen is the top of the water and the bottom of the screen is the bottom of the water.  Pretty simple I thought.  There are a few buttons that makes the unit do certain things but the buttons are clearly marked as to what they do.  There is about six combinations, at most, that do certain things.  One feature this unit has is the ability to switch from a 20 degree cone (this gives a bigger picture) and an 8 degree cone (which give a focused "picture").  This comes in handy when fishing in areas where there are structure such as stumps.  If you go on Marcum's website, just click on the Marcum picture on the top of the page you can watch videos on how this unit works and the features are explained far better than I can.  I decided to go with this unit because it's so simple to use and the fact that I didn't have anyone to teach me how to use a flasher.  For the combinations of buttons to push to do certain things I made notes on an index card and keep it in the pocket in the case.  Another reason I went with this unit is because I called the company who makes it, Marcum, and they were very helpful explaining things to me and answering all my questions.  I called them six or seven times and several of those calls lasted a half hour and the person didn't try to rush through to the next call and explained things so I could understand what I was being told.  For all these reasons I went with the Showdown Dual Beam. 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Everything and anything you ever need to know about flashers/fish finders are on the equipment board. Click on the link below to go there.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:06 PM »
I like my Ice 55, but I think if I could find someone who wanted to buy it I think I would buy a Lowrance M68c to have built in GPS and also pull double duty for summer and winter.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:25 PM »
I really like my flasher.  I have a Hummingbird Ice 35.  It is not an expensive flasher, but it gets the job done.  You can really see the mood of the fish when you are jigging.  It also will tell you the depth that the fish are at.  This allows you to have your bait in the most productive water.  I would recommend that you get a flasher that your checkbook can afford.  They can range from $200-$500 pending on the options, manufactures and where you get it at.  Good luck.

Offline Walleywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Personaly I like the vexilars over birds do to Analog vs ditgital. Although I will say the target seperation with the birds is unmatched
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy fishing equipment and that's pretty much the same thing!!!

Fish like no other, so you can catch like no other.

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I really like my flasher.  I have a Hummingbird Ice 35.  It is not an expensive flasher, but it gets the job done.  You can really see the mood of the fish when you are jigging.  It also will tell you the depth that the fish are at.  This allows you to have your bait in the most productive water.  I would recommend that you get a flasher that your checkbook can afford.  They can range from $200-$500 pending on the options, manufactures and where you get it at.  Good luck.

i have the same one..its not the most expensive but it gets the job done....vexilar fl-8 would be a similar flasher to the ice-35
Henry

Offline Retired Vet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • First in last out
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Fished for years without a flasher while my buddy's with flashers caught fish right next to me. Went and bought a hummingbird 35 2 years ago. Best money I spent in a long time. It definitely increases your chances for success and allows you to zero in on the habits of the fish that day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.